View Full Version : Tube Lures

Charlestownmatt
05-08-2003, 10:34 AM
Hello all. First post.

I have been fishing for stripers for about 5-10 years now. I have mastered the art of chunking. Who hasn't?? As we all know, this can be dirty and messy. Plus you only catch the small schoolies.

Can someone give me a detailed explanation on how to fish with tube lures? The techniques they use with trolling speed as well as the places they fish them. I am interested in catching the bigger fish this year.

beachwalker
05-08-2003, 10:54 AM
Hello,

We do a bit of trolling for the fatties off Nantucket.

Keys:

"Lead-Head" squid jig (white) with red pork rind.
Wire Line
controlled "good" driver at the helm. Place boat up current of bar with water flowing from deep to shallow to deep. Begin troll by setting speed at around 2.5-2.75 Kts. (NO FASTER). Let lines drop untill they touch bottom and retrieve until "bumps" stop. Head towards rip, up current and swing stern to rip as you pass. Begin jigging lures. As you pass by and swing above rip your gear will slip over bar and into holes on lee side of rip. When the current is flowing AND the fish are there you cannot miss.

Tight Lines !

Big Vern
05-08-2003, 10:56 AM
Use the search feature:hihi:

Otherwise, go slower than slow, use wire, and cruise over structure.

However, I think a well thought out chum/chunk strategy works better than trolling.

Steve K
05-08-2003, 10:56 AM
Welcome. I am assuming that you are fishing from a boat. The tube and worm is trolled slowly hopefully near rocky areas. The key is to make sure that you are going slow enough to get the tube down to where the fish are. You can tip the tube with a seaworm, a squid strip, pork rind, or a powerworm. I have used them on my friend's boat and they work well but I find trolling boring. I would rather spend the day casting but to each his own.

Van
05-08-2003, 11:11 AM
Originally posted by Charlestownmatt
I have mastered the art of chunking. Who hasn't?? As we all know, this can be dirty and messy. Plus you only catch the small schoolies.

Welcome to this great site !!!!!

BUT......
Only schoolies ?????
Chunk takes these....

05-08-2003, 11:46 AM
CharlestownMatt,
All the posts above are great information. I would suggest you get subscriptions to On the Water, and The Fisherman they both often have very good articles on wire line tube fishing. As to where to fish these rigs well your best bet would be to book a local charter and learn, or go out with some of the more savy boat fisherman in your area...Best of luck:)

Charlestownmatt
05-08-2003, 12:08 PM
Hello everyone,

Great feed back. Very helpfull. Thanks.

Van, nice fish.

Van
05-08-2003, 12:12 PM
CharlesTM:

Good luck just keep trying and learning here on the board and on the water. I also tube and worm on occasion, usually if I have kids or family out just for fun.
It is much cleaner than chunking for sure!!!!

FYI: That is my buddy on my boat last spring, I'm not quite that "CHUNKY" :laughs: