View Full Version : Rod/Reel suggestion

BrianS
12-10-2011, 11:12 AM
Looking for a new 6-7' rod/reel combo for general use. Boats etc...

Bombers, poppers, small jigs etc..

$400 budget

Any suggestions?

teezer
12-10-2011, 05:49 PM
Shimano Spheros and st croix medium action 6' 6"
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device

Buddy
12-10-2011, 10:58 PM
i like the sound of that

riff_raff
12-12-2011, 09:35 PM
As far as reels, Penn Slammer is a good one. Day to day I use one of those, a couple Liveliners, and a 550ssg they all literally live outside on the deck of the boat 6 months out of the year and never actually get rinsed or maintained. All are fairly similar but for most purposes the Slammer is the best. Very smooth reliable reels, excellent drag, reasonable $$ etc..

I don't put much thought into Striper rods. I just look for the right action & length for the job and are of reasonable quality for the right $$..

The way we use them they get banged around alot, stored on the deck of the boat when not in use, occasionally stepped on etc.. Night fishing takes it's toll, fishing is chaotic in the dark then when you gotta work the next day there's no time to take care of the gear.

Lifespan is short so I hit Ebay, sort through the racks at the fisherman's flea-market for rods. I like to spend < $50 for something that retails around $100. When they break they get a sea burial (like everything else on the boat, makes me feel good anyway ;) ).

Jon

MAKAI
12-12-2011, 09:40 PM
Slammer and a 6 ft 6 terez, believe the terez is a lifetime warranty. cast nice and can load up a ton,

WESTPORTMAFIA
12-12-2011, 11:53 PM
Slammer and a 6 ft 6 terez, believe the terez is a lifetime warranty. cast nice and can load up a ton,

Those Terez rods are beauties. I have one on the wish list for next season.

jimmy z
12-14-2011, 11:31 PM
From a boat I wouldn't use anything but a conventional reel. For tossing small stuff an Abu 6500 is my pick. The rod? Pick it!

KB&J SIDEACTION
12-20-2011, 05:59 PM
Terez for sure! Got one on my list for Saltwater show this year. Spend the money on a good rod, for the money I have no complaints with my Penn Sargus either.

Billybob
12-21-2011, 08:58 AM
Shimano Spheros and st croix medium action 6' 6"
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device

I think this is a good choice, too.

I have a tica dolphin 6'6" that I like a lot, very versatile and durable boat spinner, you could mate it to a stradic within your budget and have a great combo.