View Full Version : SWIVEL ROD ROLLER TIP?

Mr. Sandman
12-12-2011, 04:16 PM
I am going to have a couple more 80# class rods built that I plan to mount a 50wideLRMS and fish 130# HC braid with a 100yard of top shot mono on. This will be fished off outriggers. They will have short straight butts. Because they are on the most forward rod holders which are canted outboard...I found after a fish is on and it is in the rod holder, the line is going off angled thru the tip because of the cant angle. Depending on the fish and the boat, the line can actually make contact with the side of the roller tip...until it is removed from the holder. (rod holders are fixed)

Do they make a swivel rod tip that would alleviate this? If so who makes them?

jlnel
12-12-2011, 05:17 PM
only thing ive seen was like this Aftco Swivel Tops (http://www.captharry.com/product/Rods-Accessories-Rod-Building-Components/Aftco-Swivel-Tops/Rods/41.html) i think it would end up bending ??

Mr. Sandman
12-12-2011, 06:32 PM
Yeah I saw that one too but I think that is more for wireline and less for what I am looking for....

I may have to go for a 30 deg swivel rod holder...I understood the 90 deg (or 0 deg) and the fighting the fish w/ bent butt in the rod holder, but I always wondered what the 30 deg swivels were for...maybe this is the reason.

RIROCKHOUND
12-12-2011, 08:45 PM
Yeah I saw that one too but I think that is more for wireline and less for what I am looking for....

I may have to go for a 30 deg swivel rod holder...I understood the 90 deg (or 0 deg) and the fighting the fish w/ bent butt in the rod holder, but I always wondered what the 30 deg swivels were for...maybe this is the reason.

Jim,
Why the roller tips at all?

we only have a couple in the spread, and they go straight back.

sburnsey931
12-12-2011, 09:39 PM
I bought Slo-Low swivel inserts for my 2 aft holders.
I move the strike rod to fight the fish.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device

makomania
02-12-2012, 06:14 PM
I'd go with a swivel holder too...that way it should swing back after the line pops out of the outrigger.

Oak does have a good point, that way the line is in the right place when it pops outta the rigger

makomania
02-12-2012, 06:16 PM
even something like this?

Winthrop Kite-Top | mudhole.com (http://www.mudhole.com/Shop-Our-Catalog/Winthrop-Tools/Winthrop-Kite-Top)