View Full Version : First Tungsten Jigs

Stewie
12-13-2011, 07:51 PM
In accordance with the new (maybe) Mass. laws, I went to BassPro and bought a couple of tungsten jigs. These are from Skandia and are $2 each. They are not as sweet looking as the lead ones you can get from JamminJigs, but they look good enough and the finish seems very tough.

The biggest thing I noticed is that for their size, they are very heavy, so they will sink faster and will be easier to feel at the end of the line.

Because of the extra weight advantage, I don't even care that they cost 3 times as much as the lead ones. I wonder how long it will be before Rapala and the others start making lures like the Jigging Rap out of materials other than the more and more illegal lead?

On an interesting side note, the packages have the standard California lead warning, but so do Swedish Pimples, which are brass and nickle.

WESTPORTMAFIA
12-13-2011, 08:41 PM
In accordance with the new (maybe) Mass. laws, I went to BassPro and bought a couple of tungsten jigs. These are from Skandia and are $2 each. They are not as sweet looking as the lead ones you can get from JamminJigs, but they look good enough and the finish seems very tough.

The biggest thing I noticed is that for their size, they are very heavy, so they will sink faster and will be easier to feel at the end of the line.

Because of the extra weight advantage, I don't even care that they cost 3 times as much as the lead ones. I wonder how long it will be before Rapala and the others start making lures like the Jigging Rap out of materials other than the more and more illegal lead?

On an interesting side note, the packages have the standard California lead warning, but so do Swedish Pimples, which are brass and nickle.

The warning could be from the paint.

Stewie
12-13-2011, 09:40 PM
No doubt. They WERE made in China. :err:

riff_raff
12-14-2011, 12:48 AM
It may or may not be true but I heard recently they are finding things like steal shot are actually doing more damage to the water foul than lead ever did ;).

The Dad Fisherman
12-14-2011, 05:59 AM
I picked up some Skandias too.....also got some from some other guy over at Ice Shanty.....they are really sweet. Much nicer than than the skandias and at the same price.

Green Light
12-14-2011, 09:10 PM
W jigs with Pb paint. How is that not ironic?

Stewie
12-15-2011, 04:44 PM
I'm not sure, I've bought mono line that had the California warning, and it's all plastic as far as I know. Might be just a sneaky way to outlaw all fishing gear once lead becomes illegal.

Raven
12-16-2011, 07:41 PM
cal sucks =....police state

as long as the lead is internal within a lure
a loon ( as per necessary in MA.) won't eat it.