View Full Version : My life as a turkey

ProfessorM
12-18-2011, 06:45 PM
The show Nature on PBS. Fantastic show. If you have any interest in Nature it is a great show for the whole family and so interesting.

O.D. Mike
12-18-2011, 07:16 PM
hope it does't have a sad ending....

niko
12-18-2011, 07:36 PM
spoiler alert - it does have a sad ending - the damn turkey attacks the guy. turkeyboy is a bad turkey. never trust a turkey till it's in your belly. nature is a great show, the boys and i watch it all the time

FishermanTim
12-19-2011, 01:56 PM
It was fun to watch, but I was expecting the "turkey-boy" incident.
What I found unusual was the fact that this guy is raising animals on his own, with little supervision. I'm not saying that he's a nature kook, but with the animals he cares for, he seems like he wants to domesticate the animals in his care. I'm not talking about taming the animals to perform tricks, but rather perpepuate the familiariity with humans so that they could not be released into the wild.

Thankfully the turkeys did return to the wild, but just before the "Turkey-boy" incident he tried to get them to follow him (like he was still their "parent"). Maybe he should try and follow the example they used when raising the California Condors and eliminate the "human" connection altogether?

PaulS
12-19-2011, 02:21 PM
saw most of the show a few weeks ago and enjoyed it. It was funny watching the little guys scramble around when he was walking. I didn't see the beginning and don't know how he found them.

Hookedagain
12-19-2011, 04:00 PM
I thought it was a good program. Too bad one got taken by a fox or coyote. And the attack was unexpected (at least for me) But over all we enjoyed it.

ProfessorM
12-19-2011, 07:53 PM
He was a naturalist, writer, and did it as an experiment. I found it interesting on how close he was able to get to all the different animals when he had the turkeys along in tow. It was also interesting at how the animals interacted with each other. The snakes, the turkeys playing with the fawn plus how the turkeys knew exactly what to do and how to choose what to eat right out of the egg. Thoroughly enjoyable hour.

Video: My Life as a Turkey - Preview | Watch Nature Online | PBS Video (http://video.pbs.org/video/2164458233/)

PNG
12-20-2011, 05:49 PM
He was a naturalist, writer, and did it as an experiment. I found it interesting on how close he was able to get to all the different animals when he had the turkeys along in tow. It was also interesting at how the animals interacted with each other. The snakes, the turkeys playing with the fawn plus how the turkeys knew exactly what to do and how to choose what to eat right out of the egg. Thoroughly enjoyable hour.

Video: My Life as a Turkey - Preview | Watch Nature Online | PBS Video (http://video.pbs.org/video/2164458233/)

I too saw it and couldn't agree more. How innate they are, deal with death and the whole wildlife (human) interaction was amazing...a free pass. def a cool show.

ProfessorM
12-20-2011, 07:57 PM
Hey Chris, Long time. Happy holidays.

FishermanTim
12-21-2011, 12:41 PM
I like the part where he says that before the turkeys he saw maybe 3 or 4 snakes a year, but with the turkeys he was seeing 3 or 4 a day.

PNG
12-22-2011, 05:14 AM
Hey Chris, Long time. Happy holidays.

Merry Christmas

Chunkah
12-22-2011, 03:35 PM
It was amazing how long he stayed 24-7 with the turkey's while they were chicks (after the snake incident).