View Full Version : Help removing light corrosion from your reel

Liv2Fish
12-21-2011, 06:30 PM
Guys,

I'm cleaning up an old Penn 5500SS that I want to pair with a decent beginner rod, as a Christmas present for my 10 year old nephew, who has recently contracted the fishing bug.

The reel has some very light corrosion, mostly in the drag housing area. I soaked it in water and that seemed to remove most of it. Is there something else that I can soak it in, that will neutralize the salt? Baking soda or vinegar? I must have skipped those days in science class....

Rod suggestions would be great. It will be mostly chasing schoolies and pier fishing.

The reel has no roller, should I avoid braid because of this?

Thanks in advance

flyvice11787
12-21-2011, 06:53 PM
Warm water will get the salt to dissolve. What do you mean no roller? Should be an easy part to replace.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device

tattoobob
12-21-2011, 07:10 PM
I spray mine with WD-40 and scrap it out with a pick

I like the Lami Tri-flex 8'6" rod

tradrodz
12-21-2011, 08:29 PM
Boil it in some water for a couple mins. CorrosionX or WD and a wire brush might work. Also I can't remember if I soaked one of mine in some simple green one time hmm...

I'd pair it up with a 8' or 9' Tsunami or Tica Dolphin that way your not breaking the bank but it's a decent stick for a 10yr old.

thefishingfreak
12-21-2011, 08:31 PM
Simple green will take the plating off if left on too long.

jeffsod
12-21-2011, 09:42 PM
A coating of Boeshield will seal the corrosion and stop it from progressing

Albie1guy
12-22-2011, 04:49 AM
We used to use coke a cola.

Redsoxticket
12-22-2011, 08:24 AM
To avoid the possible outcome of the plating being removed with simple green, plug the shaft hole with silicon then fill drag cavity with green.

toaster816
12-22-2011, 08:26 AM
Hit it with wd-40 let it sit for a little bit then wipe it down. If any corrosion is left you can scrap it off with a plastic tool, or carefully remove it with a dental pick.

That reel would be great on a durable mb1083m. Also curious to what you mean when you say it has no roller. Fill it with 20# fireline, the stiffness of the fireline will be more forgiving for a youngin' not used to finicky braid.

However you decide to go at it just be careful not to mar up the walls or floor of the drag housing. If you do, some emery paper will smooth out light scratches.

Clogston29
12-22-2011, 09:54 AM
after removing the corrosion, i'd put something over it to prevent future corrosion.

reel should have a roller. it'll be cheap. see below link:

http://www.scottsbt.com/catalog/store/images/pennparts/schematics/5500ss.pdf

i'd start him out with mono. 7' rod would be my recommendation.

Liv2Fish
12-22-2011, 04:28 PM
Thanks All.

Vinegar seemed to work mint on the salt. I was wrong, the reel does have a roller. I thought it was a solid bail. It still rolls nice and smooth.

I picked up a Duren XT 902 at Redtop. Not a bad little rod for $27. Should make a perfect first surf rod for a newbe surf rat...

riff_raff
12-25-2011, 12:46 AM
Lookup Raider Ronnie for advise on this subject. He developed a special formula and technique for reel soaking.

basswipe
12-25-2011, 08:34 AM
Sentry Solutions makes the finest anti-corrosion products on the market.

Sentry Solutions | Oil-Free lubrication and corrosion protection - Body Armor for Your Gear (http://www.sentrysolutions.com/)