View Full Version : NooK Color help needed

Swimmer
12-24-2011, 05:35 PM
To go on-line do I need a wi-fi card? Is buying one like signing up for a monthly charge or only when you actually go on line? I don't have a clue. She wants me to make sure I want it before I open it, because if I open it I can't return it to Barnes and Noble. Is there anything on the Nook allready, like games or anything else that is useful?

striperman36
12-24-2011, 05:37 PM
wifi is not a 3g card, there is no charge, unless there is for using the wifi like at starbucks.

Swimmer
12-24-2011, 05:43 PM
wifi is not a 3g card, there is no charge, unless there is for using the wifi like at starbucks.

So the Nook obviously has wifi capabilities, and all I have to do is be in or near a tower to use it just like having a tower nearby for your cell phone? Is that correct. It would work out really well if a neighbor has access across the street no?

striperman36
12-24-2011, 05:51 PM
wifi is different than cellphone coverage, you need a wifi signal provider, most cases that would be a wireless hub in your home attached to your broadband internet source.
You could sneak onto your neighbors if it the signal ia strong enough and not encrypted, or they give you the security key to get on

Swimmer
12-24-2011, 05:53 PM
O.K., no broadband, dial up still.

striperman36
12-24-2011, 05:57 PM
screwed.... sneek onto the neighbors or go to mcdonalds.

Some people have a wifi meter on my phone and have been known to drive around until they find an open wifi network. I've never, ah done that :smash: . I bet skippy has :buds:

leptar
12-24-2011, 06:05 PM
Frank, AT&T hotspots and barnes and noble.. I believe that most starbucks are AT&T hotspots and should be free to Nook owners according to B&N's website.

Link to AT&T hotspots (http://www.att.com/gen/general?pid=13540)

Nook Color from Barnes and Noble's site

802.11 b/g/n
Free Wi-FiŽ in Barnes & Noble Bookstores
Free Wi-FiŽ in all AT&T hotspots

Raven
12-25-2011, 04:25 AM
O.K., no broadband, dial up still.

ya gotta upgrade to a wifi modem and kiss your dial up connection goodbye

UserRemoved1
12-25-2011, 06:06 AM
dialup? holy crap man I didn't know it even existed anymore

Frank wifi is very close range stuff. You can do everything on wifi that you can do on a cell network. You can even text people on cell networks

Raven
12-25-2011, 07:37 AM
age 92 is still hanging on to his dial up connection too

he used to have it in San Diego Ca. to get online to AOL

now that he moved to florida

he calls long distance to San Diego to connect
thru his old dial up connection...

even though when down there i got him all hooked up
to broad band at a decent price
but being quite stubborn
he went right back to it :doh:

Swimmer
12-25-2011, 09:51 AM
I hate to say this but in my house, I said my house, its up to my wife, I said my wife, when broadband happens. She has been talking about it for four years. It is going to occur shortly though. I am going to run the cable through the house myself and then contact the cable company.

So I have a wi fi capable Nook. Once I turn it on and charge the darn thing, to go on line I have to be within range of, or sitting in a Macdonalds, or Starbucks, or Barnes and Noble (my favorite coffee hot spot by the way) to use it, or one of my neighbors has to have an account. Without these places being available I would need to start a wi fi account myself, yes.

striperman36
12-25-2011, 09:59 AM
That is the one thing I did right when we had this house built. I ran CAT 5 to every room on all 3 floors

Swimmer
12-25-2011, 10:03 AM
dialup? holy crap man I didn't know it even existed anymore

Frank wifi is very close range stuff. You can do everything on wifi that you can do on a cell network. You can even text people on cell networks

Scott this texting on a cell, how long has that been around? :buds:Hallaluyah! :buds:

UserRemoved1
12-25-2011, 02:03 PM
Don't waste your time. They will probably not use it. Most cables that you can easily get your hand on are garbage for them....they will want to replace it anyways.

I hate to say this but in my house, I said my house, its up to my wife, I said my wife, when broadband happens. She has been talking about it for four years. It is going to occur shortly though. I am going to run the cable through the house myself and then contact the cable company.

So I have a wi fi capable Nook. Once I turn it on and charge the darn thing, to go on line I have to be within range of, or sitting in a Macdonalds, or Starbucks, or Barnes and Noble (my favorite coffee hot spot by the way) to use it, or one of my neighbors has to have an account. Without these places being available I would need to start a wi fi account myself, yes.

striperman36
12-25-2011, 02:12 PM
Correct and a barnes and noble account. The nook touch takes about 3 hours to fully charge, 20min charge gets you booted. The charger is extra for the touch, charges via USB, but not access to the net
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device

Swimmer
12-27-2011, 03:27 PM
Charged it up and went to B & N the next day and bought the Henry Winkler fly fishing book. The pictures that the Fonz is becoming famous for did not upload with the book. Was disappointed, probably the same with all the books you buy this way.

Matt D
12-31-2011, 02:00 PM
Charged it up and went to B & N the next day and bought the Henry Winkler fly fishing book. The pictures that the Fonz is becoming famous for did not upload with the book. Was disappointed, probably the same with all the books you buy this way.

That isn't usually the case with Nook Books, but this book seems to be pictureless in ebook form. What were they thinking?