View Full Version : tilefish trip

niko
12-28-2011, 07:46 PM
anyone interested in doing a tilefish trip? looking to go mid may - mid june on a 2 or 3 day trip. probably on the viking out of montauk unless there is another option closer. deeeep drop + sore arms = big tiles :uhuh:

JackK
12-28-2011, 08:37 PM
I probably wouldn't fork the cash for a straight tile trip, but I would definitely try one of the viking TNT (Tuna N Tile) trips

HESH2
12-29-2011, 08:18 AM
had a fishing friend do trip alot of years ago for the tile fish.left on charter out to canyon and asked mate if this boat was captains 2nd boat,mate said boat 1 got cut in half on a trip out through super heavy boat shipping lanes.got ready to tile fish guys were using old window sash weights to get down to tile fish,when you hook up its big time haul to top,part way up tile fish bladders explode and they come in easy.my friend said never again would he ever consider it.

Mr. Sandman
12-29-2011, 08:19 AM
That is serious bottom fishing. It is a long way to go to reel in 600-900' of line. But they sure taste good!
I ran across a long liner in NB when I was selling some YFT and he gave me a few . I asked him how he caught them...he dropped the long line to the bottom. (he was fishing near me close to the edge at Atlantis! ) He had quite a few. I brought them home and grilled them that night...was a big hit. Doubt you will see me out there looking for them though, that is a young mans game. I think the peak season is in the early spring. Didn't OTW do a show about them out of NY?

RIROCKHOUND
12-29-2011, 08:27 AM
That is serious bottom fishing. It is a long way to go to reel in 600-900' of line. But they sure taste good!
I ran across a long liner in NB when I was selling some YFT and he gave me a few . I asked him how he caught them...he dropped the long line to the bottom. (he was fishing near me close to the edge at Atlantis! ) He had quite a few. I brought them home and grilled them that night...was a big hit. Doubt you will see me out there looking for them though, that is a young mans game. I think the peak season is in the early spring. Didn't OTW do a show about them out of NY?

I always say I'll try it out there on the chunk, but then decide it is not worth the effort....

FishNH
12-29-2011, 09:20 AM
Tilefishing is awesome. once you try it you will be hooked. I have a charter on the Viking Star 3rd weekend in May (3 1/2 day trip) it is full right now but if any spots become available I will let you know.

Dave

niko
12-29-2011, 10:16 AM
hey dave - hows the rental gear on the viking? decent or should i bring my own. i see those trips you put together - looks like fun

FishNH
12-29-2011, 10:21 AM
Hi Niko, I only do one tile charter a year, My friend Mk5381 does another in june. Sometimes spots come up on that one also. I will let you know.
The Voyager in NJ also does some nice trips and I am booked on some of them.

You are always better off bringing your own gear for these types of trips. A heavy duty cod setup will do the trick. We catch tiles, wreckfish, barrelfish, cod,pollock, hake, and and a few other species on these trips.
this past june I hooked a 200# bluefin 600 feet down :uhuh: