View Full Version : SNOW or lack of ?????

stiff tip
12-29-2011, 10:31 AM
went to pulaski on monday morning ,on the way there same ride except for no snow anywhere, none in the burkshires , none on the pike, nothing but wet/dry ground, fishing :fishin:was good 3-4 fish a day no big crowds except up in altmar, weather nice in the mid 30,river was @900cfs perfict... BUT than tues night, came the freezing rain , in the morning came the lake snow storm... 8am i was the only fool to b on the river in a full blown blizard .the snow was sticking on my rod and line right to the water,it was a white out i kinda liked it.i bailed out at 11am and the snow chased me to springfield on n off rain and snow....so i,ve had my fill of the snow allready .....but i my go back again if the snow stops:uhuh: dave

JohnnyD
12-29-2011, 11:48 AM
Pulaski is on my list of trips I'd like to take in the next couple years. Glad you had a good trip, but where are the pictures?!?

BigBo
12-29-2011, 01:13 PM
"river was @900cfs perfict"
Confused. Can I get a ruling on this? I seriously don't know what this means and was wondering if someone could explain.

Slipknot
12-29-2011, 01:22 PM
he's talking about the flow-rate of the river
900 cubic feet per second and then he wrote perfect but he typed it in Dave speak.

glad you had an almost snow free trip Dave

BigBo
12-29-2011, 02:32 PM
Ah ha. Thanks Bruce. So that raises another question. How do you know the flow rate? Is there a handy dandy flow rate meter you pack with your gear? And last question, what is the significance of a "perfect flow rate". I'm assuming it's a fish activity thing?

piemma
12-29-2011, 02:52 PM
They post the flow rate in the local paper and at all the tackle shops.
I haven't been in 25 years but did get an 18# Steelhead last time I went.

stiff tip
12-30-2011, 06:31 AM
sorry for talkin in code... 500 to 1000 cfs in code means the water lever at the salmon rv for the drift boats and the shore angler.... is "perfict" for fishin fo steelface rainbow trouts that are between 6 to 15 lbs. but river cfs may change daily up or dwn... i dont nose a bester way to speek it .it was the snow storm 2in per hour and looking up and seening all white to the black water line....for 2hrs

BigBo
12-30-2011, 07:07 AM
I'm just trying to understand as I've never made the trip to Pulaski and find it interesting. So, at certain levels, or cfs, the fish become more active?

stiff tip
12-31-2011, 05:50 AM
I'm just trying to understand as I've never made the trip to Pulaski and find it interesting. So, at certain levels, or cfs, the fish become more active?

Bo........if the water is to high say 1800cfs u cant propperly present the fly/bait to the fish because theres too much moving water and if its to low say 250cfs the fish hide out and dont move.steelhead dont think like trout? when there on there on ,when there off ,u get it ... 1 fish a day is a good 6 fish is a great day and 12 in a day ,u never forget ....dave

BigBo
12-31-2011, 07:20 AM
Thanks for the explanation Dave.