View Full Version : How stupid can you be.....

NilsC
05-11-2003, 06:45 AM
I think I set a new personal record in stupdity Saturday. It started out with me buying a new conventional rod and reel Thursday. Nice Abu 5600 and a Star rod. Just around $200.00 on sale.

As the proverbial kid in the candy store I put some 15lb line on it at spendt a couple of hours in the back yard fishing for the cat. The combination was sweet and I started getting the hang of it with distances over 30yd with no birds nests. (when I started I hit my foot or the side of the house with big birdsnests)

So Saturday I took the rod with me fishing, that way I could try it out on the water when I got tired of fishing with the led and worms on the bottom. As I said in a previous post we had a great day up until we where leaving for home. I was packing all my equipment back in the car, asked the boys if they had everything else. We are are ready....... OK we are ready....... :af: :af: :smash: :smash:

Backing up I heard CRUNCH, whip, Crash ....... gee what did I hit. I jumped out of the car and under the right rear tire was the pieces of my new ROD an REEL.

I guess it was not ment to be.. Anyone else with an experience like this..... so I can feel a little better knowing that I'm not alone being stu.... etc.

Nils

fishaholic18
05-11-2003, 07:42 AM
I had a similar experience with my stupidity! I bought a new Shimano Stradic reel ($150) and Diamondback rod ($200). I loaded them into a convenient rod holder that I fabricated personally(real genious) that was mounted to the rear of my ten speed. I got about 20 feet when my pedal got hung on the reel handle and sheered the reel right off its seat, and the rod tip got hung in a tree and broke off the tip top as I was falling. I wasn't a happy camper:af: Hope it makes you feel better that their are other stupid people out there.:smash: :smash: :smash:

BigFish
05-11-2003, 07:44 AM
:smash: Sorry NilsC, can't help you there you dumb so & so.
:doh: Just kidding Nils. I just wanted to take a little shot at you.
My condolences for the loss of your rod and reel.:scatter: I did
have a similar experience, once. I was fishing largemouths at
my buddies place in Plymouth and I loaded up my equipment,
or so I thought, for the ride home:ss: and I was backing up
to leave and I heard the exact same sound, a whip and a snap.
:lasso: When I got out of the truck I made the same grizzley
discovery, my brand new Penn setup was no more.:crying: :hs:
I was so mad I could have screamed :exp: :splat: So do not
feel alone anymore NilsC, there are other folks like yourself.
I guarantee you won't do it again.:laugha: Take care NilsC.

BasicPatrick
05-11-2003, 10:19 AM
nils,

I have had four different 7' combos (2 of them custom) snapped when doors were closed on them. 2 done by myself, 2 done by my guests, all owned by me.

You are not alone!!!!!

ridler72
05-11-2003, 09:11 PM
While walking underneath the Salem/ Beverley 1a bridge. I was ambushed by a couple of dozen pigeons. I was so startled I slipped and fell, and into the Danvers river went a Penn 5500 and 8 ft heavy custom rod. Total of about 300 dollars. Watching my rod flow down the river....It suddenly occured to me what a dumb situation I got my self into and I only share this story because of the previous guys with there stories.:smash:

Slipknot
05-11-2003, 09:40 PM
I plead the Fifth:faga: :hidin:

Bernzy
05-11-2003, 09:46 PM
Been there, done that.!!!! :smash: OUCH!!!!

Bernzy

NilsC
05-11-2003, 10:36 PM
Thanks for replying, I feel a little better knowing that I'm not alone. (I feel bad about all the great fishing equipment lost.)

:uhoh:

I agree, I don't think I'll forget the equipment outside the car..... :doh:

Nils

Raven
05-12-2003, 07:15 AM
the stripers were going nuts (or blues) in a feeding frenzy that i could visually see from shore ok as there was a tornado of terns diving and screaming a 1/4 mile out as i looked around with binoculars so i jumped in the row boat to hurry to our Boston whaler
and set my rod in the whaler while untying the mouring line.
Unfortunately the rod butt was on top of a boat cushion and when i stepped into the whaler my foot landed on the other edge of the cushion and sent my rod catapulting high into the air capoosh and down it went.... i dived for it several times but never saw it again. that was not a good day. did you buy it with cash or credit? some credit card companies have built in loss insurance for certain purchases....

NilsC
05-12-2003, 07:22 AM
I used Cash... I work extra every other Saturday to get some play money. This was the play money stash... gzzzztupid. I think I'll use the credit card from now on and just deposit the money into the card.

hmmmm maybe I should be unethical and go buy another one on credit card...:smash: :smash:

No I can't do that.... I just have to live with my stupidity.

Nils

fishweewee
05-12-2003, 07:27 AM
Ever have a friend wreck your tackle at the worst possible moment?

A few years back me and another "Crazy" internet fishing personality (*wink* *wink*) were fixin' to go fishin.

I had my G. Loomis 12 foot surf stick in the back seat, broken down.

My "kooky" friend was fidgeting with the seat controls and moved the seat back...

...right onto the butt section of my stick.

I heard a sickening CRUNCH and a SNAP and my poor stick was destroyed.

That was the weekend before my weeklong Vineyard/Cape fishing trip.

My friend told me I couldn't stop crying for about six hours after that - he had to buy me ice cream to shut me up. :D :laughs: :crying: :sick:

Mr. Sandman
05-12-2003, 07:32 AM
car doors are the biggest reason for rods breaking...not fish.

Van
05-12-2003, 07:43 AM
Oh yea, its happened to me too.

Launched a 12 foot surf rod off the truck at 70 mph Rte. 3 South in the middle of the night.

Usually when the equipment is brand new like yours.:smash: :smash: :smash:

Not when its old and ready for retirement.

Sorry to hear that man.

Maybe its under warranty !!!!!:smash: :smash: :smash: :smash:

MountainBreeze
05-12-2003, 08:45 AM
Oh man Nils... That hurt just reading it! :( Sorry to hear that man!

But... Congrats on on landing the keeper! Glad you threw her back so I can have a chance! ;)

When we goin' again???

Rob

Roop
05-12-2003, 09:08 AM
Slammed the barn door on my old hunintg Suburban on an antique Hardy fly reel that I had rested on the roof ......

Sorry to hear about your luck, see if the shop will give you a deal on a new one.

Fishpart
05-12-2003, 09:23 AM
Stuck my too ong for inside th ecar surf rod out the window and promply pushed the window lift button. Luckily she's still on one piece.

Beats the tiem I got my Mitchell 300 caught in my spokes. Broke the reel, ripped one guide off my rod, broke a few spokes and got a hook in my tire. Probably 25 years ago, but I still remember like it was yesterday.

Raven
05-12-2003, 10:05 AM
my friend and i were getting ready to cross route 9 and didnt realize how far our rods were hanging out in the roadway as we looked both ways to run when along came a truck and WHACK!
both of us were standing there now with half rods all smashed!
i hate when that happens!!:af: :smash:

BigBo
05-12-2003, 10:16 AM
Vehicles and fishing rods do NOT GET ALONG!!!!!:hs: :peessed: Quite a few years ago while on a trout fishing/camping trip in Vermont, I stupidly only brought one new rod and reel:wall: (we were packing light). Like Van said:"Always with new equipment".
Well my buddy grabbed the rods while I was packing stuff in the truck. He leaned my new St. Croix rod against the side of the truck and didn't say anything to me. We both got in the truck and I proceeded to back up when I heard that sickening sound of the rod crunching under the wheels.:err: :crying: :yak6: Luckily, the reel wasn't damaged. I had to go to a local bait shop and pick up a cheap P.O.S. rod to use for the rest of the trip. I know my buddy felt bad about it, but that didn't stop me from going off about it several times over the weekend. He just sort of gave me lots of space.:hidin: Well we ended up having a few beers to forget about it.:cheers:
You're not alone Nils:wave:

macojoe
05-12-2003, 11:06 AM
I have never broken a rod yet (Knock on wood!!) But I did have a rod sitting in the water one day when a blue fish blitz was going on. My son who was about 8 at the time had caught one and I layed my rod down to get it off for him. And what do you think happened A Blue took my bait (not in free spool) and the rod reel and all was gone for ever!!
Never did that again.
I also had a friend that bought a new boat and was very proud of it. There were a bunch of people looking at it and he was like a new farther :wiggle: you know the kind the proud parent look. Well he gets in the truck to start home.Taking off a little fast showing off. Well I don't no the name of the ST. But it was at Barnstable habore not the main ramp but one further down. Any way he started off and drove under the Bridge and snaped 4 brand new coustom rods in have.:af: No more showing off after that.

ThrowingTimber
05-12-2003, 11:12 AM
Snapped a surf rod last year. My laziness had me put it in my friends trunk instead of walking a couple hundred yards with it in hand. I left the truck lid up and as soon as he drove off, yep lid came down and snapped my rod. Mrs. Timber got me a new one the next day :D

JohnR
05-12-2003, 11:28 AM
I severed a rod in half with the rear window on my Bronco :smash:

capesams
05-12-2003, 11:33 AM
two combo's...reely three but who's counting.:rolleyes:

Saltheart
05-12-2003, 03:10 PM
Built myself a brand new Rpn Arra lami XRA 1205. All gussied up with decorative wrap. A real masterpiece. Took it to the canal for its first trip and in fact , first canal trip of the season. Walked out onto the path and got all excited seeing something move in the water. walked right off the path and fell down , landing on the brand new rod. Not even one cast and the reel seat was busted! Stuff happens. :)

TonyT
05-12-2003, 04:08 PM
Broken rods, 3 I can remember. 2 succumbed to a girlfriend (ex-girlfriend), one being stepped on the other slammed in a car door. The other one was being transported on my bicycle and the line caught a spoke.

I just fabrcated a heavy duty rod transportation device using 4" PVC tubing and some threaded end caps. My surf rods fit inside and they claim that the tubing will withstand 3000 lbs. As long as I remember to get the rods safely inside.........