View Full Version : how do you transport your gear?

nightfighter
05-11-2003, 01:30 PM
Having just swap around vehicles, I was wondering who among you has the best thought out way to transport your gear. My need is specifically rod racks for the inside of 1. Ford E150 van (Slip you got the skinny there?) and 2. a Chevy Blazer, the smaller version. Pictures would be appreciated.

Also, it should be added that my baby is a 2 piece Saltheart Allstar 1265 that I want to be able to break down and store inside the vehicles.

OK guys and gals, show us what you do to protect your investment in gear.

Thanks in advance,

Ross

Slipknot
05-11-2003, 03:59 PM
Ross, I guess you never got a look at my setup. I just took some scrap 3/4" shop birch ply and scribed and screwed 2 pieces to 2 ribs on the ceiling then piano hinged another piece of ply, this piece had holes drilled for the forward one and L shaped cuts for the rear one. They fold up out of the way when not needed.
Big Dave has a setup which holds quite a few rods, mine holds 6.
good luck

macojoe
05-11-2003, 05:49 PM
I have a full size Blazer and I have a rod holder that mounts to the celing made out of nylon with loops sewed into it at one end.Then the other end I have Velcro sewed in and I put the eyes in the loop and then I put the butts velcroed in the other end. Then all hang from the celing. You can make the span from front to back any leanth you want. Works out great. http://www.rodsaver.net/RODSAVER.PDF

SALTSHAKER
05-11-2003, 06:01 PM
Go to the surfcaster. They are in Darien Ct I believe. Had the same problem, they have a rod carrier that is of material and is mounted inside of a van, and can also be used in a pickup truck bed. Just ordered one for a Dodge 1500 "98" van, not to bad price wise and will be completely movable from one to another. And the size of the car should make no difference as the distance between the straps can be adjusted. It comes with mounting accesories and is under $20

Raven
05-11-2003, 06:04 PM
Nightfighter: Well i have wood on my walls and i have those flip over door closers with the wheels on the end that clamp a rod in nice and then its locked to the wall till you want it again by spring tension. You can also go to the smaller hardware stores and buy the peel and stick velcro cloth which has numerous uses. :p

chris L
05-12-2003, 07:30 AM
for inside I have the same as makojoe . for the money it is a good choice and works well . I use for my freshwater and saltwater rods . I have sliding windows on the truck to allow for one piece rods . I have a surfcaster rack on top of my cap on my pickup .

Fishpart
05-12-2003, 07:48 AM
1265/2 and 1266/2, both fit inside my Accord Not Sand Sled with no problem. Rest of the gear goes int he trunk. If I want I can put a 10 1/2 footer from the trunk up onto the dash with the rear seat down. I may cut the rear seat where the armrest goes down and make a pass through. "Don't wreck it what if we want to sell it!!" It has 151K on it, like a little hole would lower the value any more :rolleyes:

castn4bass
05-12-2003, 03:00 PM
Bungee cords!!! run them across the ceiling and slide the rods above them, works great in my Jeep Gr Cherokee !!!!!!

nightfighter
05-13-2003, 05:06 AM
Thanx fer the replys guys.

Slip I do remember yours but would need to see it again for details.

I will look at Rodsavers, but have also used bungee cords in the past. They work well with one or two rods, as long as you secure the butt end so that the rod doesn't slide laterally across vehicle on every turn. I used another small bungee thingee that I also use to keep my power cords coiled.

I will continue to seek ideas though, so keep em coming. My hope is to build the right design out of some ash, which is what I am going to use to trick out the ribs of the work van. It just would be nice to find the ultimate design, one that when you see it, you know that it's the one.

Jimbo
05-13-2003, 08:48 AM
I have a 150 Supercrew four door with the short bed and a tonneau cover. I have two piece rods which I transport two ways. One, I McGuyvered some cardboard tubes like carpet comes rolled on. Cut them to about 4 foot lengths, padded the ends with a bunch of old socks and capped it off. Then I duct taped two of them together. This makes something protective, but portable so if I'm by my one-sies or if the whole family is along I just put my rods in last on top. If I'm feeling lazy, I leave the reels on and wrap an old army blanket around them. Never had a problem.
The other way if I don't want to break them down is to put them thru the split window in back, wedge the but between the seats and I put some of that foam pipe insulation on the rod where it goes thru the window. Obviously, this solution only works if I don't have to leave the vehicle unattended.
Six of one half dozen of another. Someday I'll figure out a rooftop solution.

nightfighter
05-20-2003, 06:16 AM
bumping the bump

Just looking fer sum mor ideas.

nightfighter
05-24-2003, 11:10 AM
again

Raven
05-24-2003, 11:41 AM
hard to say that real fast...well,not really! but hey man check out these rubber rod holders i just saw... not bad...do-able!
http://www.thesundeckonline.com/ -Rav

Raven
05-24-2003, 11:56 AM
http://www.fishermansheadquarters.com/47523racks.html
check out this clamp looks mint.. hope that helps! _Rav

MAC
05-24-2003, 03:41 PM
Here is what I do on my wifes Blazer

Scotch Bonnet
05-24-2003, 03:56 PM
Anybody ever use a ski rack? I got a free ski rack when I purchased my new truck. I just have to install it one of these days:smash:

Slipknot
05-24-2003, 04:46 PM
My buddy uses a ski rack, it works great. We just used it yesterday for the first time.

Notaro
05-24-2003, 11:27 PM
i transport my gear by putting rods and spikes on my OTW surf bag and a tackle bag in my cooler with ices and baits. and i walk like an idiot. thats how i transport my gear.

surf fishing IN R.I.
05-25-2003, 06:26 AM
I bought a set of roof racks and the best thing of all they
only went for $12.00

surf fishing IN R.I.
05-25-2003, 06:27 AM
there on a jeep grandcherokee and they hold 4 rods not bad at all

MountainBreeze
05-25-2003, 06:54 AM
I use the RackMounts rod holder, made by RodMounts.

http://www.rmfsys.com/yak/rods_2.jpg

And, a bungee cord, just in case. ;)

Couple other pics of the rack if you are interested:

Front mount support (http://www.rmfsys.com/yak/rods_3.jpg)
Rear mount support (http://www.rmfsys.com/yak/rods_4.jpg)

hooked
05-25-2003, 07:06 AM
I use a ski rack about half of the time. (fits on Thule bars)

I like knowing that I can lock the racks and lower the risk of my rods becoming someone elses rods. The only problem that I have is that the reels hang too low and can come in contact with the roof if I don't arrange them just right.

SF in RI, I've got a gr cherokee also. Got a couple questions for you. How do they attach to the factory bars? Are they permanent or can they be removed? Do you get enough clearance for spinning reels? Where did you get them?

As far as inside storage, I fold the rear seat down and lie the rods on beach towels or jackets. I like the ideas for the rodsavers hanging rack.

Good thread.

ScottM
05-25-2003, 07:41 AM
Here's what I've done - cut a piece of 8' strapping in two the width of the factory roof rack (in my case a '00 Blazer), mount 3 sets of Fentress rod racks (2 rods each) to the strapping, bolt to the factory rack with SS u-bolts. I'v also done the ski rack method before, but to keep the reels from hitting the roof, I used rod racks for the butt end. You still use the ski rack for the front of the rods which still gives you some sense of security, but if I'm leaving the vehicle for any period of time, all rods go inside.

nightfighter
05-25-2003, 10:12 AM
Thanks to all for the input.
My need is for inside as well. I think one site that Raven came up with has what I need, tho I will probably fabricate it myself. It was on www.thesundeckonline.com
and click on the modular fishing rod racks.

Got some good ideas from you all!

surf fishing IN R.I.
05-26-2003, 10:43 AM
Hay Hooked there are 3 screw that hold the rackes right in the factory rackes i leave them there all year long they hold 4
rodes no problem check it out

surf fishing IN R.I.
05-26-2003, 10:48 AM
not bad for $12.00 i got them from BUCKO'S PARTS & TACKLE SERVICE IN FALL RIVER MASS THE # IS 508-674 7900

mar t
05-29-2003, 07:02 PM
because of this thread i went to my work shop and built what i thinis a nice sturdy rod rack. i will be showing it off sat and have the means to build several more for those that like the set-up.
mar t
marty

RickBomba
05-29-2003, 09:05 PM
Yup,
I bought the same rack at Bucko's for rappin Mikey for Xmas this year.
He loves them.
Later,
Rick

nightfighter
05-29-2003, 09:08 PM
Here's the design I will be copying for interior rod rack. I got a cut off PVC 4X4 fence post from Home Depot and ripped it on a table saw. I will be doing the cut outs over the weekend.

Marty, got any pics of your design yet?

Ross

mar t
05-29-2003, 11:40 PM
no picks of it yet but you'llsee it saturday

chris L
05-30-2003, 07:29 AM
Ross
I made something simular to those . Make sure you put some sort of elastic strap or velcro . or when ever you hit a bump your rods will bounce up and down . which can weaken your blank at the very least they will fall out and maybe get hurt . Also where the rods will sit in the groove make it deeper if you can . Just wanted to let you know .

nightfighter
05-31-2003, 03:08 PM
Thanks for the input Chris.

I might even put some pipe insullation or weatherstripping on the lower side of cut outs to cushion the rods. The sundeck site also has a bungee option on another model. No time to cut it this weekend, too many games, bday parties, etc. Maybe tommorrow.

Ross

NilsC
06-02-2003, 09:42 AM
Originally posted by mar t
because of this thread i went to my work shop and built what i thinis a nice sturdy rod rack. i will be showing it off sat and have the means to build several more for those that like the set-up.
mar t
marty
Here is a picture of the rack.

NilsC
06-02-2003, 09:43 AM
and the front. You have to ask Marty for the parts list.

Nils

mar t
06-03-2003, 10:06 PM
thank nilsc for these pics of my rod rack not bad from off the top of my head

mar t
06-03-2003, 10:07 PM
again thanks to nilsc for this pic as well
mar t
marty