View Full Version : boat paint

fish4striper
01-04-2012, 05:08 PM
So I'm going to try a slip this year. Boat's never been painted, what kind of paint should I get?

Is it just power wash it and brush one coat on? What happens if I don't paint it?

How do I take this off my trailer and paint it? Anyone done it with a fiberglass boat.

nightfighter
01-04-2012, 05:19 PM
Here's what I did 4 years ago. Worked out well. You will need to prep hull for the barrier coat. The reason for two colors is the tell coat, (red on mine) will tell you when and where you need to recoat with new ablative top coat. You don't want to leave it in the water without antifouling paint....

http://www.striped-bass.com/Stripertalk/boat-fishing-boating/48497-bottom-paint-discussion.html

Sea Dangles
01-04-2012, 05:29 PM
You can paint all of it while it is on the trailer,
ok most of it.

likwid
01-04-2012, 05:30 PM
You can paint all of it while it is on the trailer,
ok most of it.

block up for the rest.
easy enough.

whatever you do, do a barrier coat first.
its worth it in the long run, unless you really don't care and don't plan on keeping the boat for long.

Chunkah
01-04-2012, 06:04 PM
Not to hijack, but does anyone paint their transducer as well? I forget to clean to thing off most of the time....:smash:

2 coats of ablative for me a year. I give it a heavy power washing and a quick sanding in the spring before I recoat. The powerwashing and sanding will expose a bit of the barrier coat...this way I know I'm not getting too much build up.

thefishingfreak
01-04-2012, 06:26 PM
Your trailer will have paint all over it. Forever.
Borrow 4 stands and take it off, it'll take all of 30 minutes.

Do not paint the transducer with copper bottom paint. Might as well wrap it in tinfoil.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device

fish4striper
01-04-2012, 06:38 PM

30 minutes, you're hired! Where do I drop it off? :biglaugh:

niko
01-04-2012, 06:40 PM
i'll come down in the spring, i've got stands. won't take long

likwid
01-04-2012, 06:41 PM
Also any taping you need to do, remove immediately once done unless you feel like scraping forever.

fish4striper
01-04-2012, 06:44 PM
i'll come down in the spring, i've got stands. won't take long

sweet, thanks man

MakoMike
01-04-2012, 07:05 PM
Definitely do the barrier coat first, then paint with an Ablative paint

Chunkah
01-04-2012, 07:29 PM
Your trailer will have paint all over it. Forever.

Do not paint the transducer with copper bottom paint. Might as well wrap it in tinfoil.

I thought it seemed like a bad idea...thanks!

nightfighter
01-04-2012, 08:16 PM

I have stands available, but don't have that trick down yet.... need to see this done.

thefishingfreak
01-04-2012, 08:28 PM
Here's the deal. You need wood blocks or floor jack to act as 5th stand.
On level ground, Lower the trailer jack as low as it'll go. Put 2 boat stands under the stern and lift the stern with the stands an inch or so.
Now Jack up trailer jack as high as it'll go, now wood block the middle in a spot where A-it's going to support the boat. And B-where you can roll the trailer a few feet forward without knocking said blocks over. Lower tounge jack to normal.
Now the boat is balanced on 3 points. Roll the trailer forward as much as possible and add 2 boat stands behind the axle. should be about where you need them to be anyways. Now lift the bow up with the 2 front stands about an inch and remove the center blocks. Now roll the trailer out.

Tahh-Dahh

fish4striper
01-05-2012, 08:13 AM
Sounds easy enough, thanks Mike.

MrHunters
01-05-2012, 10:14 AM
Here's the deal. You need wood blocks or floor jack to act as 5th stand.
On level ground, Lower the trailer jack as low as it'll go. Put 2 boat stands under the stern and lift the stern with the stands an inch or so.
Now Jack up trailer jack as high as it'll go, now wood block the middle in a spot where A-it's going to support the boat. And B-where you can roll the trailer a few feet forward without knocking said blocks over. Lower tounge jack to normal.
Now the boat is balanced on 3 points. Roll the trailer forward as much as possible and add 2 boat stands behind the axle. should be about where you need them to be anyways. Now lift the bow up with the 2 front stands about an inch and remove the center blocks. Now roll the trailer out.

Tahh-Dahh

I looked all over youtube for this explanation and turns out all i had to do was ask FF. (not that that's any surprise) That was a perfect explanation.

I did not do a barrier coat last year for two reasons.. it would have more than doubled the price and it was already an expensive season. Also during my research it seemed to be a 50/50 split on who uses a barrier coat with the consensus that new boats do not need one unless the type of boat had a reputation for blistering. Maybe I'm going to pay in the long run, time will tell.

I believe you can still barrier coat later even if you decide not to now.

likwid
01-05-2012, 10:17 AM
I believe you can still barrier coat later even if you decide not to now.

You can, you just have to strip the entire bottom.

So it will cost more in the long run.

Mr. Sandman
01-05-2012, 11:53 AM
Definitely do the barrier coat first, then paint with an Ablative paint

What he said!!

Been down this road, you don't want to end up with problems later...do it right the first time, if not it will come back to bite you in the ass later.

likwid
01-05-2012, 01:24 PM
While not doing a barrier coat you MAY not have any issues, if you DO, you're in for a VERY VERY expensive bill.

All things considered, its a relatively cheap preventative step.

MrHunters
01-05-2012, 01:36 PM
whatever happened to drive fast take chances? :rotf2:

likwid
01-05-2012, 01:58 PM
whatever happened to drive fast take chances? :rotf2:

Then by all means just slap some bottom paint on, you'll probably be ok, if not, I'll fix it for you, it won't be cheap but it'll be fixed. ;)