View Full Version : Let's talk jigheads

nightfighter
01-08-2012, 10:49 AM
Mike White did an in depth presentation at last year's PI Surfcasters show. While I've forgotten most of it, what I was able to come away with was that we have a lot to learn from the freshwater guys. I know he is not a computer guy, but maybe we could get him for TFCTFN?
What I do know is that my existing supply of jigheads, which are mostly the triangular type, are limited in their use with different rubber and applications. So what do you like? Post some pics.

DZ
01-08-2012, 11:03 AM
[QUOTE=nightfighter;912863]we have a lot to learn from the freshwater guys. QUOTE]

Most of the better saltwater surf guys I've met over the years have an extensive freshwater back ground.

Different shape jig heads have various sink rates and different actions. Amount of hair is also critical in various surf applications. For example less bucktail is preferred when sandeels are present. More bucktail when squid are the prevalent bait.

DZ

piemma
01-08-2012, 12:28 PM
Smilin' Bill in all the different weights have always been my best jig producers. Upperman next.

chefchris401
01-08-2012, 12:46 PM
I like smiling bills and banana jigs.

I tie mine pretty fluffy, what that's what I need for the areas I fish.

Fuller jigs equal slower sink rate.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device

Got Stripers
01-09-2012, 08:12 AM
Spring and fall, I'll have a 3/4oz Kalin Ulimate jig head with my Ledge Runner 6" half jerk and a 1/2oz Kalin with my 4" split tails if the bait is small. With the right drag, these hooks are good enough to land large and you can buy 100 counts at reasonable prices. When I switch to bottom bouncing for Black Bass, I've switched over to an olive 4oz triangular head tied in black/red bucktail, gets down quick and the blackies love it. If there are blues around, I'll switch to a 3-4oz jig with a 7/0 Owner hook with plastic, rather than donate the more expensive bucktails.

Saltheart
01-09-2012, 08:52 AM
At the canal I found the bullet head jigs got stuck on the bottom more. There I like the round balls.

Uppermans are nice if you are fishing a style where you let them flutter down , retrieve back up and then flutter down again.

I usually tie my bucktails on Smilin Bills. I guess if I go through the trouble if tying hair on (most of my jigs I simply use rubber like 8 inch Curltails) I like to make them look finished by painting the mouth and eyes on the Smilin Bills. They do wiggle a little do to the mouth shape.

Of course eels skin jig heads have the purpose of holding the skin and passing water through it.

Clogston29
01-09-2012, 09:10 AM
ross, for surf in our neck of the woods, 3/4 oz jetty caster with no. 50 pork has produced best for me. swim it near the bottom. 3/4 oz. andrus bullet head or 3/4 oz. pt. jude wobble head with either 7" sluggo or curly tail has also done ok, but i prefer to bucktail.