View Full Version : Been 25 years

iamskippy
01-08-2012, 07:01 PM
Since i last tied a fly. i use to target trout, so i decide to tie some of my own tail / teasers / Flys for the salt. Here is one of the first of many.

Any color suggestions/schemes for the NE would be very welcome.

Any feedback is always welcome as well.

Slipknot
01-08-2012, 07:11 PM
looks like that will work to me :btu:

iamskippy
01-08-2012, 07:31 PM
looks like that will work to me :btu:

Slip flattery like that just might get some like that put aside for you at plugfest ;)
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device

O.D. Mike
01-08-2012, 07:35 PM
Skippy they look even better on the computer screen!!!

The stray hairs were a problem when I started to epoxy my flies, the tool to use to keep the stray hairs out of the epoxy, cut a small piece of straw about a half inch (and an 1/8), then cut a slit down the length of the straw. Now you can open the straw and wrap the material so it stays flat and straight. Slide the straw down a little and epoxy.

striperman36
01-08-2012, 07:40 PM
I tie with the uv one part now, put the straw is a great idea for any glue

iamskippy
01-08-2012, 07:49 PM
Hmm time to go to dunken donuts and get some straws, great tip thanks. Sounds like a good way to tighten it up a bit.

saltydog
01-09-2012, 06:46 AM
iamskippy,
GOOD FOR YOU ,nice colors, now you need some FLY HOOKS lighter, smaller dia. to tie on. if your going to fly it , if there just teasers your OK.
ALSO if your going to use MOLDED EYES use epoxy or the new stuff everyone is using now w/ light from DEER CREEK $49.00 kit.
head not SHINIEEEEEEE! it's doing what you said SOAKING IN, lots of threads will soak in head cement, flat wax thread usually will help keep the head cement on top. but just put a few coats on an it will build up an SHINE:uhuh: try some different head cements till you find the one you like, some are very light, an some are heavy just look around, ALSO KEEP your head SMALL when using molded eyes the EPOXY will build up the head to the shape you want. will be looking for more ties to come.
GOOD LUCK GOOD TYIN:)

iamskippy
01-09-2012, 09:39 AM
Doing exactly that sraying with teasers and tails till i get the hang back on this, amd get the colors down. Just need to fix the head issue, i will check out the kit you suggested, i figured the zap a gap would seal the thread amd allow the cement to build, and im supprised after 4coats of cement on it its still soaking.

As far as the eye i had em kicking around i can go back to flat ones i kinda like the lures buggin out like they whacked a 8 ball lol.

iamskippy,
GOOD FOR YOU ,nice colors, now you need some FLY HOOKS lighter, smaller dia. to tie on. if your going to fly it , if there just teasers your OK.
ALSO if your going to use MOLDED EYES use epoxy or the new stuff everyone is using now w/ light from DEER CREEK $49.00 kit.
head not SHINIEEEEEEE! it's doing what you said SOAKING IN, lots of threads will soak in head cement, flat wax thread usually will help keep the head cement on top. but just put a few coats on an it will build up an SHINE:uhuh: try some different head cements till you find the one you like, some are very light, an some are heavy just look around, ALSO KEEP your head SMALL when using molded eyes the EPOXY will build up the head to the shape you want. will be looking for more ties to come.
GOOD LUCK GOOD TYIN:)

saltydog
01-09-2012, 06:38 PM
iamskippy,
FLAT EYES or MOLDED it's what YOU like, the fish really dont care,, remember YOUR the one fishing them. CHARTRUCE/ WHITE is ALWAYS a KILLER :love: Teasers or Fly.
the KIT THING it something new, fast an wont YELLOW the heads, BUT again if your tying to fish an using this next season just as easy to use e-poxy, if your keeping the flys for a LONG time then go w/ the kit, only cause of the color change in the head. my son ties teasers for a bunch of guy that fish RACE POINT an he still uses
e-poxy.
that ZAP A GAP might have a reaction to the cement your using, Id forget using it. your better off w/ HEAD CEMENT or CLEAR (fast drying ) NAIL POLISH at the DOL-LAR STORE.
save the ZAP for when you make leaders an coat the knots w/ it.
GOOD LUCK GOOD TYIN

iamskippy
01-09-2012, 07:06 PM
I really appreciate the expert advice and support i always receive from this site, and once again thanks to everyone that posted some feedback and insite it was well received. More project pics to come.

Thanks again all

Skip

JackK
01-15-2012, 02:48 PM
Looks good- just remember that oftentimes when it comes to materials less is more. Sparse ties do very well, and keeps your material stock up. Personally I would tie that with 1/3-1/2 less hair. That also helps to build a neat, tapered head.

I like the gamakatsu fly hooks for the salt. Pricey, but sharp and strong.

iamskippy
01-15-2012, 08:42 PM
Looks good- just remember that oftentimes when it comes to materials less is more. Sparse ties do very well, and keeps your material stock up. Personally I would tie that with 1/3-1/2 less hair. That also helps to build a neat, tapered head.

I like the gamakatsu fly hooks for the salt. Pricey, but sharp and strong.

Thanks for the feedback jack, i feel cheesey and hate buying thin teasers, feel like i get jipped, is there really a performance difference?

JackK
01-24-2012, 02:58 PM
Sorry I missed this post... I feel that sparser ties have more movement in the water, which can translate to more fish appeal... Whenever I tie flags or teasers they're very minimal, a small clump of bucktail and maybe a strand or two of krystal flash. Same goes with my flies.

Of course this can vary depending on the pattern... But for trout streamers and the standard SW flies (deceivers and clousers) I definitely follow the less-is-more philosophy.

Another benefit is that the less materials you use, the easier it is to build neat, tapered head. There's also less of a chance of materials loosening up.

Of course, it could also just be a confidence thing, just like plugs. Try a couple tied heavy and sparse, and then just retie the ones you catch big on :)

bucko
01-25-2012, 10:17 AM
Chartreuse is my overall favorite color. The adage concerning Dark colored flys for night and Light colors for day works for me.