View Full Version : High-Speed Ferry To Offer Service from R.I.

JohnR
05-12-2003, 09:18 AM
Figurered I would let you all know that there will soon be a new ferry service between RI and MV coming soon - sorry no vehicles though :( :

POSTED: 8:16 a.m. EDT May 8, 2003

NORTH KINGSTOWN, R.I. -- A new high-speed ferry service from Quonset Point to Martha's Vineyard could be up and running by early next month.

The service would be the first of its kind, and the first outside of Massachusetts. The ferry would be operated by Rhode Island Fast Ferry. It would carry up to 350 passengers on the 90 minute ride.

fishweewee
05-12-2003, 09:32 AM
No vehicles? :(

JohnR
05-12-2003, 10:02 AM
No Vehicles but we pitch in for one person with a Van, that lives near the Cape :D , and he meets us at OB and we fish Squibby :D during the Derby - if all else fails I'm know of a few people on MV in Derby Time, hehehehe

Mr. Sandman
05-12-2003, 10:10 AM
Hah.......There ain't no fish out here...you guys are better off fishing the breachway.:hee:

Slipknot
05-12-2003, 11:49 AM
How far in advance do you need to make Van reservations for Woods Hole? and What's wrong with that other Island near you that you CAN take a truck over with you? :)

Mr. Sandman
05-12-2003, 12:08 PM
I seem to take a lot of local ferries..here is my take:

For WH it depends on the date...if you are thinking off-peak season it is not that bad...but for peak season on a Friday or sunday night it can still be a pain. For the derby (sep/oct) make your res soon....like real soon. If you wait to a couple weeks before you go...forgetaboutit unless it is Nov-April. (cost 55 bucks each way for your car 5.50 for each bassfisherman, 10 bucks per rod (only kidding on the rods)

Nantucket: painful in the summer to get a res with cars, not as bad in the off season, (no derby) but the ferry leaves from Hyansis and it make far fewer trips to Nantucket then MV and most of these get gobbled up by vacationer's making summer rentals in Jan and Feb for July and Aug. After the kids go back to school...you have a more realistic shot. (brace yourself...something like $165 each way + 13 bucks for each bassfisherman)

http://web3.steamshipauthority.com/ssa/

BI: not bad off peak times, summer is a pain but still do-able. I always seem to get lucky with the BI ferry and get on. http://www.blockislandferry.com/ something like 50 bucks RT for a car.

Orient Point LI to--drive-> Montauk: The ferry is huge and I rarely have a problem..but again, holidays get booked. (standby seems to go pretty fast)
https://www.longislandferry.com/Default.asp
37 each way for vehicle

If you are thinking about going, set a date and call. Also, they are now enforcing the 1/2 hour rule more this season...you better be there 1/2 hour ahead of time or you lost your res to some sap sitting in the standby line. (probably me:D )

I hear the High Speed ferry from RI to MV (I think it may leave from Quonsett) is going to be pretty high-end...like a $100 RT -ticket. Thats what I "heard" , I don't put a lot of faith in that number but I think it will be expensive side and will cater to the Nuvo East Greenwich folks who have summer homes here.

I would like to see a S-B Block Island trip...we could cover the entire island and really mow them.

fishweewee
05-12-2003, 12:34 PM
There are no fish at Squibbie. Move along now, please. :smash: :smash: :smash:

Clammer
05-12-2003, 12:36 PM
John , doesn,t want us to go to Block///by boat or truck///

fishweewee
05-12-2003, 12:42 PM
There is no such thing as Block Island. It is a figment of your imagination. Even if you do hear about it, there would be no fish there anyways. Move along now...

JohnR
05-12-2003, 12:59 PM
Originally posted by Slipknot
How far in advance do you need to make Van reservations for Woods Hole? and What's wrong with that other Island near you that you CAN take a truck over with you? :) You bring your Van over to MV and I'll gladly bring truck to the Porkchop :) ...

WW - ever been to the Porkchop? BM won't guide you there - no sand and no fish :D

macojoe
05-12-2003, 07:12 PM
:rolleyes: Lets see 30 min ride to Falmouth, 10 min to launch, 30 min ride to a sertin place around MV and I am fishing! Less for other spots.
No Ferry for me :jump:

BasicPatrick
05-12-2003, 07:55 PM
John,

Basic Beach buggy will be on MV for at minimum 3 weeks during the Derby with all stickers and Private access, I mean accessories

JohnR
05-12-2003, 09:32 PM
Originally posted by BasicPatrick
John,

Basic Beach buggy will be on MV for at minimum 3 weeks during the Derby with all stickers and Private access, I mean accessories :D