View Full Version : upgrading drying wheel rotisserie motor help

Muskyslayer96
01-11-2012, 08:47 PM
Hey fellas,

I'm considering upgrading my rotisserie motors on my drying rack to something a little more rugged, something that doesn't require my wheel to be totally balanced? Any suggestions? Anybody have the same problem? Would love to be able to just stick a bait on the wheel and walk away not two equally weighted /sized plugs directly across from each other.
I'm not sure what kind of motor would be required (disco ball?)
thanks in advance and Happy New Year

MS

Mojo7
01-11-2012, 09:06 PM
MS
I just finished building my dryer fashioned after yours. I had a buddy of mine give me a small ac gear motor that works great as far as balance goes. I've loaded it with plugs on just one half of the wheel with no balance issues. The motor I have is 12 rpm which I'm not sure if that is to fast? I've searched it out and have seen where some guys are turning as much as 36 rpm. The first time I used the wheel I didn't use the heat and I wasn't crazy about how the finish came out so next time I'll use heat and see what happens. I've gone on Graingers website and I can get the same frame size motor in 4, 6, or 9 RPM models for $40-$50. Thanks for the Ideas for building my turner.

Rockfish9
01-12-2012, 07:18 AM
Try this threadhttp://www.striped-bass.com/Stripertalk/plug-building-got-wood/69498-plug-spinners-lets-see-them.html..

Rockfish9
01-12-2012, 08:08 AM
I put the "new " spinner into action in the fall of 2008.... i do about 300 plugs a year... it still works flawlessly.. doesnt matter if I run it unbalanced.. the only change I have made is that I re located the motor to eliminate one belt... thus driving the wheels via a flex coupling ( the same diameter as the gear pulleys) I can load a single plug on any one a partial or full load on each "spit"... the bottom in line one is still working driven by those pirated copyer pulleys and belts... the rotissery motors are plenty strong... put a little though into the design... and it will last as long as you want it to..

Muskyslayer96
01-12-2012, 05:49 PM
Mojo and Rockfish,

thanks for the responses and I love your designs, well done.

I have some ideas I'm going to exploit this weekend, after a little research last night, I think I've located the issue and ...............wait for it..........It was a design flaw on me :biglaugh:

Best, and happy building on the new year. thanks again,
MS

nightfighter
01-12-2012, 09:04 PM
I picked up a curbside microwave and took the carousal motor out of it. Works great, 6 rpm, no hitches in the rotation that the rotisserie suffered. (Put that motor back on the rod dryer.) Microwave unit is small and quiet.

Mojo7
02-20-2012, 06:08 PM
I finally figured out how to post a video of my dryer.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=881wdv62CoM&context=C3b0edb9ADOEgsToPDskLhSMmXLTe946SFKJjn6COR

O.D. Mike
02-21-2012, 09:27 AM
Mojo, your spinner is going to fast, the speed your looking for is 6 rpm. Its slow enough to see the lure pass by and pop the bubbles out of the epoxy and foam or hair from the brushes that you apply with. You may be able to move the motor location and use gears to change the speed of the spinner.
I went with Nightfiter's idea, I will post pictures when its completed....

Mojo7
02-21-2012, 01:11 PM
Thanks Mike, the motor I'm using was given to me and I was wondering if it was to fast (12 rpm). I can get a 6 rpm motor with the same frame and shaft size from a local supply shop. I think I'm going to change it out.

Mojo7
02-21-2012, 09:07 PM
Changed out motor to 6 rpm.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CGqPG5rdWTU&context=C3b0edb9ADOEgsToPDskLhSMmXLTe946SFKJjn6COR