View Full Version : old rod

american spirit
01-14-2012, 12:49 PM
picked up a very old rod my grandfather used to use 60 or 70 years ago. i think it's a freshwater rod. metal guides in rough shape, cork handle looks good, metal reel seat looks good. the blank is in good shape, but not sure what kind of material (graphite/ fiberglass) it is or how it's rated.

i'm looking to get some new guides on it and use it for more sentimental purposes. can anyone recommend a place where i can get it looked at. not sure if m+d's or cms does freshwater stuff.

iamskippy
01-14-2012, 12:52 PM
I beleive cms will re wrap it, i dont think they do new stuff.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device

Saltheart
01-14-2012, 01:25 PM
A lot of times with an old rod like that its best to hang it on the wall and keep it original for sentimental purposes. My guess is if all you want to do is fish you can get a better performing rod for less than the cost of fixing that one. Probably a 430 rod from #^&#^&#^&#^&s or walmart will have better performance.

Some old rods just get ruined by attempts to restore them.

Raven
01-14-2012, 04:34 PM
sounds like a solid fiberglass rod

american spirit
01-14-2012, 04:57 PM
A lot of times with an old rod like that its best to hang it on the wall and keep it original for sentimental purposes. My guess is if all you want to do is fish you can get a better performing rod for less than the cost of fixing that one. Probably a 430 rod from #^&#^&#^&#^&s or walmart will have better performance.

Some old rods just get ruined by attempts to restore them.

i just think it would be cool to fish a rod my grandfather used when he was my age. maybe i'll try to re-wrap it on my own.

Raven
01-14-2012, 07:30 PM
there's Mojo in the rod ....material objects absorb thoughts and feelings
like a storage device.... think of it as like....a flash drive.... if you completely rebuild it
that mojo may be lost...

stripermaineiac
01-14-2012, 09:34 PM
Take a pic of it I may have guides that will match it in some of the old stuff I have here. Do it yourself if you do as many shops over do an old rebuild an ruin the rod.

american spirit
01-17-2012, 01:06 PM
Take a pic of it I may have guides that will match it in some of the old stuff I have here. Do it yourself if you do as many shops over do an old rebuild an ruin the rod.

here you go. the rod is 7 feet, not sure if that helps.

american spirit
01-17-2012, 01:08 PM

i couldn't upload other pics for some reason. maybe they're too big. i'll try again.

american spirit
01-17-2012, 01:12 PM
7 feet, bottom guide 2 inches diameter, top guide 1/2 inch.