View Full Version : 2011/2012 Gear

Clogston29
01-17-2012, 08:10 AM
Just curious what new gear you guys tried out in 2011 and how it stacked up. Also, what are you looking forward to trying in 2012.

2011 reviews:

Commando Bags – Very happy with these. I have two four tube bags and couldn’t be happier with them. Tough, light and have a lot of space to cram in extra stuff around the tubes. Large grommets so they drain quick and the material gains almost no water weight when soaked. I was happy with my VS bags, despite how easily the tubes break, and hesitant to take the plunge on these, but won’t go back now.

Guide’s Choice Old School Swimmer – Pleasantly surprised by this one. It’s basically a modern take of the smaller rebel super wind cheater. Casts and swims well for the style of plug, and carries 2/0 hooks which is a big plus in my mind over the 1/0 on most comparable swimmers. Not good enough to replace the bomber a-salt as my favorite, but pretty good. And it comes in the basic colors (black, yellow, white) unlike some of the fancy swimmers by daiwa and others. Just wish they would make one similar to the larger wind cheater. Also wish they’d get rid of the fin, but that’s just because I think it looks cheesy.

2012:

Got a new 1201m with low riders to try out. A new waterproof camera, the Nikon AW100, to replace my old pentax which is pretty out of date now. Also thinking about either a stella or saltiga, but leaning towards the stella as the new saltiga is $$$$$$ and I don’t know how I feel about the magnetic oil thing. Also going to give the TA clips a try after having some issues with the breakaways last year.

basswipe
01-17-2012, 08:19 AM
My only planned purchased this year was going to be a Saragosa 10000 but that's on hold until my job situation is rectified.

onecastmike2003
01-17-2012, 08:51 AM
Threw out my stinky waders :uhuh:

tysdad115
01-17-2012, 09:46 AM
I picked up a factory custom 1327 Century to match the 1328 MikeCC wrapped for me. Pairing it with a Saragosa 10K ,should be a great plugging stick. Other than that no new gear for me this year.

SAUERKRAUT
01-17-2012, 09:50 AM
I think I'm going to tool up, educate and tech up, to do some video this coming season.

agsurfr
01-17-2012, 09:52 AM
Need new wading boots. I want rubber soles so I can wear them in RI (unbelievable). Also want them to be as light as possible and have the ability to be studded w/Wearbars.

I own the Cabelas Ultralight, which are felt soled and seem to come apart rather easily. Considering a Simms product or perhaps something from Beans.

Thoughts/suggestions appreciated if you've been down this road.

Pete F.
01-17-2012, 09:57 AM
2011 Mojo 10-6 the heavy one I like this rod a lot, throws everything I want and lots of backbone.
2012 I bought 2 new gold spools for my 704s

Tagger
01-17-2012, 10:13 AM
I picked up a factory custom 1327 Century ..

love it ,, prediction ---->may be "The Canal Rod "
Plugs ,, Left Hook Pilgrim , Diawa SP Minnow, slayed fish...
Hobie ,, just can't imagine life with out you now ..
Braid cutter ,,, That little orange thing at M&D's for .99 cents

chefchris401
01-17-2012, 10:16 AM
In 2011 I bought and tried the following items:

Cabelas ultra light boots with the wearbars, love em, held up great, tons of grip and a comfy boot.

St. Croix mojo 11 ft rod rated 3 to 8, used it for two weeks while my custom was being repaired, it's a good rod for the money, throws big rigged eels with ease and lots of backbone.

Henderson aqua loc wetsuit, hands down the best wetsuit I've ever owned, comfortable, keeps you warm, easy in and out, amazing all around.

Commando custom 3 tube, best investment I've made in a long time. Bullet proof bag, no tears, no bs, lots of room in the front pouch for rigged eels and soft plastics, also got the leader wallet and custom strap.

precision pak pluto dry top, scored on it ebay for half the list price, comfortable, and does what its supposed to, the tape they use on the inside seams are junk, most of it is falling off and the hood is so bulky if you roll it up into the collar. I dont need a dry top a lot as I spend most my time in the wetsuit, buts its nice to have for colder wet days or when Im beach fishing in waders.

I'm very happy with my 2011 purchases, I do a lot of research before I buy anything and spend the extra money to try and get the best products available instead of buying a lesser product and having to replace it down the road.

In 2012 my purchases are or will be:

ZeeBaas 27, custom red and silver with some options, already purchased

New neck spotlight, getting the UK one my buddy has, 110 lumens.

10ft century that were building at salthearts, hopefully will be my go to plug/bucktail rod

11ft custom, need to replace my snapped lami, not sure
What I'm going with yet, looking at the gsb or century sling shot.

Cabelas pro boots, the nicer and lighter version on the ultra lights.

A few plugs to round out the arsenal.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device

RIROCKHOUND
01-17-2012, 11:10 AM
I just bought 100 eel hooks, and 100 bait hooks.
need a few spools of leader material and some swivels.

2012. Done

tysdad115
01-17-2012, 11:22 AM
love it ,, prediction ---->may be "The Canal Rod "
Plugs ,, Left Hook Pilgrim , Diawa SP Minnow, slayed fish...
Hobie ,, just can't imagine life with out you now ..
Braid cutter ,,, That little orange thing at M&D's for .99 cents

I had to have the matching set Ed...and it's not my fault if you buy one too.

NIGHT STRIKES
01-17-2012, 11:24 AM
Very pleased with the MAK 4-Tube Bag and Wader Belt along with the Diawa SP Minnow in 2011

Looking forward to fishing a PENN Torque 5 Bail-less in 2012

tysdad115
01-17-2012, 11:28 AM
New neck spotlight, getting the UK one my buddy has, 110 lumens.

Which one Chris? I do need a new light or two..forgot that on my list. Red LED light? Or which light do people recommend for surf use? I have one I use for canal but need a few for nights in the surf.

JamesJet
01-17-2012, 11:30 AM
So far very happy with a late season additiona of ultralights + wearbars. I used it up in Pulaski and was very immpressed. We'll see how they hold up over time, I dont really fish in RI so no worries with the felt so far.

Also will be looking to get a pair of new all around eel / bait rod rods for my boat. Suggestions welcome, not opposed to having some blanks built custom or "semi customs" off the self at CMS.

Lastly I may, if I get a decent bonus (or one at all) look at a high end reel for the canal...otherswise its the spheros 8000 again.

WESTPORTMAFIA
01-17-2012, 11:58 AM
Need new wading boots. I want rubber soles so I can wear them in RI (unbelievable). Also want them to be as light as possible and have the ability to be studded w/Wearbars.

I own the Cabelas Ultralight, which are felt soled and seem to come apart rather easily. Considering a Simms product or perhaps something from Beans.

I bought a pair of simms felt soles and after 1 season they looked like they went under the lawnmower a few times. I tossed them a few weeks ago. I need a new pair but won't buy Simms again.

piemma
01-17-2012, 12:04 PM
I just bought 100 eel hooks, and 100 bait hooks.
need a few spools of leader material and some swivels.

2012. Done

A lot of Braid. That's it!

Tagger
01-17-2012, 01:35 PM
I had to have the matching set Ed...and it's not my fault if you buy one too.

is that the 1-4 ? no ,,,that would be Greg W's fault .. I want that one too .

bassballer
01-17-2012, 02:07 PM
In 2011 i realized I cant have enough lead. Cost adds up after a while of replenishing. Specially during Tog season. So for Xmas my dad got a huge box of sinkers, egg sinkers for eeling, spro's, fluke rigs, tog rigs, 7/0 owners. Just saves me a ton of money throughout the season.

For 2012 i'll be teaming a calcutta 700 with a pro blue for eeling and chunking from the boat. Had a couple instances last year where I had a little more trouble than I wanted to, getting good size fish to the boat with my current set up. Felt I needed a bigger gun this year.

tysdad115
01-17-2012, 02:13 PM
is that the 1-4 ? no ,,,that would be Greg W's fault .. I want that one too .

No the 2-5 1327 , you and I have the 3-7 1328. I thought you picked up the 1328 after throwing mine that day.

Jackbass
01-17-2012, 03:14 PM
2011 Was an expensive year for me. In the past I have been a one rod kind of guy and I wound up by breaking things down by purpose.

To kick off the year I had Nick at breakaway build me a concept spinning rod to pair with my VS250. It is a great Jigging set up for the ditch casts a mile and handles all the lead i can throw at it.

I also added an empro 6500 to pair with my XSRA1322 another long casting dream set up. incredible pencil rod.

I then decided to pick up a ZX22 for my 9 ft arra that I could use for some beach fishing and wound up by putting it on a 1 piece super surf I bought at M and D's 10 fter couldn't beat the price.

I also added a pair of boot foots for the sand

2012 I will add a conventional stick to the mix for drifting eels at the ditch. That should be all unless I buy a ZX25 which is probably not in the cards right now.

JackK
01-17-2012, 03:33 PM
Which one Chris? I do need a new light or two..forgot that on my list. Red LED light? Or which light do people recommend for surf use? I have one I use for canal but need a few for nights in the surf.

I didn't purchase much surfcasting stuff this year. But I can give a review of a couple items anyway.

One great purchase was the UK Vizion eLED headlamp, via Amazon. Recommended to me by a couple surfcasters who are big into wetsuiting and particularly hard on their gear. It's pretty much bombproof, stays on my head well, and easy to use. Easy to switch between red and white light. Plus the battery life is amazing. Highly recommended.

My main saltwater purchase was a G Loomis Pro Blue 844S. SWE as usual came through when I was searching for one. I've paired it with an Avet MXL, and it's been a killer combo for Cod, Stripers, and whiting (lol). I look forward to dead-drifting macks with it this spring, and also getting a YFT on it when I do another canyon trip. I quickly got a ~200 lb mako boatside on an 844S paired with a VS250 this summer, so I have no trepidations that it can handle YFT up to 50 lb.

Flyfishing made a heavy resurgence into my fishing interests this past summer, so a number of my purchases were based around that. One phenomenal buy was the TFO BVK in 8'6" 5 wt. It's a fast rod, so I can punch it the line out through some serious wind, but also can make some delicate presentations if the fish are a little fussy. Plus the TFO customer service and warranty are top notch. Highly recommended to the intermediate/advanced caster.

I'll edit this if I think of anything else.

Chubby-Chaser
01-17-2012, 03:51 PM

The headlamp I use has a red LED is a Petzel, with a rechargeable battery pack its just $50.

Century is going to be the Stella of 2012, they have a few rods to choose from now, but I'm going with the 1-5 10ft stealth for eels and 2-3 oz plugs

I see ZeeBaaS having a good year, more guys heading into rockpiles where they might get wet and the company has done a good job of marketing the move back to the US.

I need a wet suit, hope to get one for around $200

JLH
01-17-2012, 04:14 PM

Had a new 1201M built and was very happy with the rod paired up with a VS 250. I don’t think I will be looking for another 10’ rod for awhile as this one can do just about everything I need for my style of fishing.

Also picked up a 60# boga – I don’t love it for handling fish I actually think the plastic lip grippers are better for dealing with bluefish or schoolies with a mouth full of trebles but it is nice being able to get a weight on a fish you plan to release.

Sargent Sportsman’s Pliers – was happy to have these when I got a treble though my index finger with a bass still attached to the plug. The braid/mono cutter is also nice and lasted the whole season but needs to be replaced for this upcoming year. They aren’t the best for dealing with deep hooks though; the jaws are a little too wide…

NRS 3MM Farmer John with 2MM jacket – definitely the best wetsuit combination I have tried yet. Front zippers made it easy to get in and out of... Very comfortable for long casting sessions with only 2MM on the arms... Plenty warm May though mid Oct but not hot on those long walks (just took jacket off or unziped it)...

Having a new 1321M built for throwing big plugs and riggies.

Bought a commando 3 tube bag at the end of last year which I haven’t had a chance to get wet yet…

Trying not to spend too much money on fishing this year so that may be it for big purchases…

Stewie
01-17-2012, 05:22 PM
2011 purchases, Empro 5500 and a nice Allstar spinning rod from Mike P. We'll see how I do with this newfangled spinning gear in 2012.

Peter Lajoie
01-17-2012, 05:39 PM
Ordered a vapor trail 11ft 3to6 from lou last week. Gonna pair it with a 275, give it a shot and see how I like it. Have a four tube custom being made by commando right now. Got a bunch of pilgrims from left hook and just ordered a box of 7/0 hooks and 1700 yards of 80 pound mono. Im good for the year now.

SurfCaster413
01-17-2012, 05:53 PM
Commando custom 3 tube, best investment I've made in a long time. Bullet proof bag, no tears, no bs, lots of room in the front pouch for rigged eels and soft plastics, also got the leader wallet and custom strap.

I agree with Chef here I ordered the 4 tube bag, hands down best bag I ever bough and only bag am gonna buy.

I also bought a silver Vs275 which i love, and paired it with a 10'6 mojo very happy with this combo.

For 2012 I wanna get a bigger fishing rod. Not sure what though. Something in the 11-12ft range

GregW
01-17-2012, 05:58 PM

I really like my Bean's(Gray Ghost). Very light weight and alot easier to swim with than the previous pair I had. They are also very sturdy and stood up to 5 nights a week this whole season. Not bad for a $99 pair of boots.

agsurfr
01-17-2012, 09:15 PM
I really like my Bean's(Gray Ghost). Very light weight and alot easier to swim with than the previous pair I had. They are also very sturdy and stood up to 5 nights a week this whole season. Not bad for a $99 pair of boots.

They are light. I was holding a pair a few days ago. How's the drainage on those boots? My Cabelas are mesh and drain quickly. Actually, now my Cabelas are ripped and drain really fast. What did you stud the Ghosts with? Thanks in advance for the help

GregW
01-18-2012, 06:53 AM
They are light. I was holding a pair a few days ago. How's the drainage on those boots? My Cabelas are mesh and drain quickly. Actually, now my Cabelas are ripped and drain really fast. What did you stud the Ghosts with? Thanks in advance for the help

I really don't recall exactly how fast they drain. However , it can't be that slow or I would remember. The ghosts come in studded and um studded versions. I ordered the studded.

striper774
01-18-2012, 07:07 AM
A lot of Braid. That's it!

Paul,last year at the RI show on sunday the last day in the afternoon we bought PP braid 1500yd spools for $80.Told us he didn't want to go home with it so a friend and myself bought a bunch of bulk spools.He'll be there this year.

striper774
01-18-2012, 07:25 AM
Got some simms headwater boots and added wearbars.Work real good but had to add some jellin comfort inner soles.Mak products that are of great quality.Happy with these products.Now looking into some simms waders,not decided what ones to buy.Afterhours plugs and customer service are second to none.

numbskull
01-18-2012, 09:24 AM
Fished a GSB1321M last season, built so it weighs a little under 12 oz finished. Can't say enough good things about it.

Tried TA clips and found that the V shape caused knot failure when using a knot that put two loops around the clip (trilene knot).

Liked these Wearbar studs when used in hard rubber soled boots.

Did great with small Musso darter-clones (albeit on sub 20lb fish). I think Don (AfterHours) has a version coming out soon that will be worth a look.

Berkley Vanish Fluoro leader material is garbage.

Used a Simms wading staff that seemed great, but didn't hold up to saltwater.

tysdad115
01-18-2012, 10:17 AM
[QUOTE=numbskull;915273]
Tried TA clips and found that the V shape caused knot failure when using a knot that put two loops around the clip (trilene knot).

QUOTE]

I'm surprised to see this. I run TA clips and only use Trilene knots, I can't remember any knots failing on me...but I was probably tying them wrong ,thats why they didnt break.

Jackbass
01-18-2012, 10:19 AM
Vanish is pure crap x 2

FishnGrega
01-18-2012, 12:11 PM

Underwater Kinetics UK 3AA eLED CPO 10001 10022 10005 10024 (http://www.brightguy.com/Underwater+Kinetics/Underwater+Kinetics+UK+3AA+eLED+CPO+10001+10022+10 005+10024)

No red light, this is more like a spot light. With 110 lumens having it as a night vision light wouldn't be very worthwhile. Its great at spotting buoys with its narrow beam.

For the surf I use the Princeton Tec Attitude led with the red lens for night vision. but I may go with something that has a button this year rather than a twist bezel.

FishnGrega
01-18-2012, 12:27 PM
2011 Review

New custom 4 tube Commando Bag. Freakin AMAZING! Velcro is super strong, light weight, and quick draining. Large front pocket for riggies, rubbers, bug spray, camera etc. Huge inside pocket for leaders, leader spools. Plenty of bucktail holders that can fit up to 2 bucktails per slot, with additional storage behind the bucktail holders. By far the best investment I've made.

Mojo 10'6" 3/4-4oz. Loved to play with light lures with this rod very sensitive with plenty of backbone.

3 tube Rod Vault- to protect my investments

New VS250:humpty:

Cabelas Guideboots w/wearbars

10'6" Legend 2-6oz after I trade in my Mojo

10' Century as part of the rod build w/ Saltheart

#300 Grip Studs for my bootfoot waders

Anvil Atlas Fly vise for making my own bucktails, siwash and flags

I think that's it...

agsurfr
01-18-2012, 12:39 PM
Greg and Striper774--

Thanks for the reports on boots.

Greg, didja like the stock studs? Not sure what Beans does, but the stock screws that Cabelas calls studs are not helpful.

Gonna look into the Ghosts. Thanks

piemma
01-18-2012, 01:48 PM
Underwater Kinetics UK 3AA eLED CPO 10001 10022 10005 10024 (http://www.brightguy.com/Underwater+Kinetics/Underwater+Kinetics+UK+3AA+eLED+CPO+10001+10022+10 005+10024)

No red light, this is more like a spot light. With 110 lumens having it as a night vision light wouldn't be very worthwhile. Its great at spotting buoys with its narrow beam.

For the surf I use the Princeton Tec Attitude led with the red lens for night vision. but I may go with something that has a button this year rather than a twist bezel.

OK so you guys may laugh at me but I use Energizer 3 LED Headlight
by Energizer . Less than $15 on Amazon. Has 2 white and 1 red LEDs.
I have worn it at the Canal, in the surf in SoCo, BI and on my boat in rain, wind, etc. It has never failed me. Uses 3 AAA bats and they last a long time. Not sure if it's waterproof as in "underwater" but I sure have gotten it plenty wet and never had a problem in 2 years of use.

RIROCKHOUND
01-18-2012, 01:52 PM
I have worn it at the Canal, in the surf in SoCo, BI and on my boat in rain, wind, etc. It has never failed me. Uses 3 AAA bats and they last a long time. Not sure if it's waterproof as in "underwater" but I sure have gotten it plenty wet and never had a problem in 2 years of use.

me too, around my neck.... pelican penight in my bag as a back-up.

piemma
01-18-2012, 01:53 PM
me too, around my neck.... pelican penight in my bag as a back-up.

maybe we are just cheap.

Slipknot
01-18-2012, 02:42 PM
I got a Commando 2 tube plugbag at the end of the season. It is absolutely the BEST bag of anything I have and most likely will own. I like it so much I may order a cube for next season. I can tell I won't be able to kill this bag, he makes them to last forever like my SaltigaZ.

t.orlando
01-18-2012, 03:31 PM
Last years major purchases were a Stella10K and a 10w fly outfit. Came to love the Left Hook Pilgrims too. Upcoming for this year is hopefully a 12-14ft Spey rod or 11ft switch rod.

FishnGrega
01-18-2012, 03:46 PM

No laughing here.

I don't blame you, Chef had the Energizer headlamp too I believe and he loves it. One night we were out, he dropped it on the ground and pooof... donzzz-O. The light bit the dust. Luckily he had a backup.

The reason why I bought this light was for its power. This light isn't something you would use to dig through your plug bag at night or you'll go blind. I can put this light on a rock 100+yards away and light it up.

The Dad Fisherman
01-18-2012, 03:54 PM

I use the Same one.....I think its perfect for fishing.

Target had them for $9.99

And no issues seeing in my Plug Bag.....the white light is blinding its so bright.

You do have to change the batteries every year or it does start to dim

Pete F.
01-18-2012, 04:01 PM
I have one of those Energizers, I think I bought it at Wally world. The little, not littlest Mag lights are pretty waterproof and cheap. I use it as a spare in my pocket, it's been underwater more than once.

fatcow
01-18-2012, 05:38 PM
2011 bought stella 18000sw up for sale make me an offer, finally upgraded my gps after 10yrs to a furuno navnet 12MFD 3D, love it and don't need glasses anymore!! My bro purchased 8tube MAK bag, Dave even delivered it to hometown because of conflicting schedules and so far no problemos, good lookin out. 2012 so far nada, just some good health and good times peace!!!

nightfighter
01-18-2012, 05:51 PM
Was a low spend year in 2011. Fuel, oil, sabikis, fluro, and hooks. Spent on plugmaking stuff and all I do is fish live macks all season....

I did get one of the glow in the dark floating fish grippers, and it works well, but the angle seems like it could be improved. Also added an Avet MXL MC lefty at the end of the season. Worked well on cod. Upgraded drags for my Abu Records after burning them out on big October fish.

Don't need anything, and should be getting rid of stuff I don't use....

Should be looking at Tom's Commando bags before Cutty trip.... economy just sucks right now.

Steve K
01-18-2012, 05:53 PM
I believe that it is a RayoVac and not an Energizer that many of us have been using for years. They work great if you don't swim. Though, I have submerged mine and it still works. The only issue I have is with the straps losing their elasticity after years of use. I have not bothered to send them back under warranty. Great product and the price is right.

chefchris401
01-18-2012, 06:01 PM

I own the same light, it's awesome, bright and cheap. It's underwater proof too! For the money tough to beat.

It outlasted both my 50 dollar Princeton tec quad head lamps

chefchris401
01-18-2012, 06:18 PM
I believe that it is a RayoVac and not an Energizer that many of us have been using for years. They work great if you don't swim. Though, I have submerged mine and it still works. The only issue I have is with the straps losing their elasticity after years of use. I have not bothered to send them back under warranty. Great product and the price is right.

The ones I have are definitely energizer, I bought my pops one for fishing too. They take a beating except when you fall 5 feet and smack your head and the light goes flying into rocks. Besides that there great :)

Rob Rockcrawler
01-18-2012, 06:57 PM
Ive been using the cheep energizers for a few years now. I "upgraded" to a princeton tec but i still have the energizers. They are more dependable. The red light is awesome on them, my gripe is i need to smack them around to get them to work just about every time.

New for 2011 was wearbars and ultralites, loved em. The boots wont last through next year but im sure the wearbars will be fine. Best fishing investment i have made.

Shimano Volteaus rod, cheap and pretty damn good. Its heavy enough for gloucester cod fishing, well almost enough, works great for bait not so much for 16 oz jigs. Also good for 2 oz jigs for fluke.

Lime green mombo minnows :)

2012, Century stealth via Salthearts building class and maybe a VS 275 if the right deal comes around. I wish ZB made a reel with a quicker retrieve rate like a 275.

LL beans wader pants, for those times where i just dont need waders they will be perfect. I will probably need to replace my rapid river waders this year as well, they are gobbed to hell with aqua seal and other patches but are so damn comfortable i dont want to get rid of them.

Jackbass
01-18-2012, 07:55 PM

Tagger
01-19-2012, 12:52 PM
I need a wet suit, hope to get one for around $200

Yea .. You can wear it down the canal instead of your waders .. :rotf2:

Justfishin'
01-19-2012, 01:07 PM
2011-Bought a ZeeBass ZX25 w/bail, have to say it has the best drag of any reel I've ever had, but I've fished Penn's for 27 years. Miss the on/off antireverse. May go to manual pick up this year to see if the distance improves, I think the bail is in the way
Northbar bottle darters- gave them a serious try this year, did well with a few large on them.
2012? Hmmm- new waders that I'll need because of the BS felt ban.:fury:
Get my new 9wt and switchrod blanks wrapped, get a new 7wt reel for the switch.
Maybe get a new conventional reel.

bassballer
01-19-2012, 02:21 PM

I LOVE this headlamp. I buy them 3 at a time at home depot. 2 in my trunk, 2 in the boat, a couple in the house. For the money this lamp does everything you need it to. Swam with it for years. eventually the salt rots it out but there not expensive to replace.

cow tamer
01-19-2012, 05:18 PM
Got the 3 tube commando bag and a bunch of plugs.
Waiting to hear on a comparison of rods - mojo, century and cts.

Jimmy Fee
01-19-2012, 07:35 PM
Last years major purchases were a Stella10K and a 10w fly outfit. Came to love the Left Hook Pilgrims too. Upcoming for this year is hopefully a 12-14ft Spey rod or 11ft switch rod.

What switch rods are you looking at Tony? I'm on the verge of ordering one myself.

american spirit
01-19-2012, 08:01 PM
2011:
1. black diamond storm head lamp. 100% waterproof. no issues with it.
2. Afterhours jointed plugs. Did well with the skinny 2 oz. one.

2012:
1. got some helly hansen voss pants. lightweight polyurethane pants for fishing the rocks when i'm not planning on swimming
2. more afterhours jointed.

probably won't be fishing until august since kid #3 is coming in march.

t.orlando
01-19-2012, 10:02 PM
What switch rods are you looking at Tony? I'm on the verge of ordering one myself.

Really don't know yet. Was looking for a dual purpose steelhead/striper rod, don't know if one really can do both. Going to talk to a bunch of guys at Marlboro or Bears Den show and hopefully try some out.

Chubby-Chaser
01-20-2012, 09:02 AM
Yea .. You can wear it down the canal instead of your waders .. :rotf2:

I love the canal, but this year its back to the beach more often. I have a bunch of spots where a WS is ideal and cant wait to get wet.

JackK
01-20-2012, 09:26 AM
Really don't know yet. Was looking for a dual purpose steelhead/striper rod, don't know if one really can do both. Going to talk to a bunch of guys at Marlboro or Bears Den show and hopefully try some out.

beulah 7/8 classic... getting one myself

the 8/9 is too much for chromers but good for salmon

Steve K
01-20-2012, 10:44 AM
The ones I have are definitely energizer, I bought my pops one for fishing too. They take a beating except when you fall 5 feet and smack your head and the light goes flying into rocks. Besides that there great :)

That is good to know because the RayOVac model is difficult to find now.