View Full Version : Winter Thread Topic: Surf Safety Gear

JohnR
01-19-2012, 07:53 AM
As we started discussing last month, it is time to put some important topics up and bang them around for future use. We'll remind some of ourselves and help the noobs out.

Based on losing guys the past few years there will be a focus on safety. This week's topic is: Surf Safety: GEAR.

We had Surf Safety tips and tricks last month here: http://www.striped-bass.com/Stripertalk/stripertalk/75036-winter-thread-topic-surf-safety-tips-tricks.html

I'll start: Grip.

IP started a great thread almost 2 years ago on Alternative to Korkers (http://www.striped-bass.com/Stripertalk/stripertalk/63665-alternative-korkers.html) - If you are not doing this, you might want to, especially if on a budget as they are fantastic, easy to use , and comfortable.

Flotation. Occasionally on a boat at night or surf fishing in (for me) tougher spots wit increased "oh crap" factor, I have worn my SOSPENDERS (https://www.google.com/#q=SOSPENDERS&hl=en&safe=off&prmd=imvns&source=univ&tbm=shop&tbo=u&sa=X&ei=qhEYT9fPHuf50gGC4PCwCw&ved=0CIsBEK0E&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.,cf.osb&fp=f864393fedf4277d&biw=1067&bih=594) - Haven't needed them, yet.

While traveling light in itself is a safety benefit, lets have some other items for safety...

Thumper
01-19-2012, 08:57 AM
High quality dive knife...

DZ
01-19-2012, 09:06 AM
By far the most important safety gear you have is "your head" - use it.

Cutting pliers capable of cutting a 4x hook.

Bottle of water.

If you fish with a partner leave a set of your vehicle keys hidden somewhere on your buggy in case you go in and your buddy needs to get help. Story is one of the guys who was washed in last season had the buggy keys and only cell phone in his pocket - his partner had to walk a long way to get help which was tragically too late.

DZ

Thumper
01-19-2012, 09:14 AM
If you fish with a partner leave a set of your vehicle keys hidden somewhere on your buggy.

DZ

Or incase you lock them in the car like I did last weekend :smash:

Stewie
01-19-2012, 01:08 PM
Having a buddy with you is the most important thing. At the very least, he can laugh at you when you fall in the rocks. :jester:

OLD GOAT
01-19-2012, 01:27 PM
Hopefully the ego won't get in the way. After almost (the deep end)a few times I'm for a pfd of some type

bassballer
01-19-2012, 02:23 PM
Cutting pliers capable of cutting a 4x hook.

learned this rule the hard way.

ivanputski
01-19-2012, 11:40 PM
*Floating princeton tec strobe/rescue light in case you get swept in and out, twist your ankle on shore, etc.

* Whistle... (Try yelling for help on a shoreline with big surf... it's like being in space, no one can hear you scream.)

* Wearbars (Wish a boot company would get it together and improve upon the concept of spikes screwing directly into the sole)

* Bolt cutters in the truck (sometimes in a backpack if I bring one on long walks)

* Spare neck light (never go out with just one light anymore)

* Dive Knife ( need to sharpen it though)

chefchris401
01-19-2012, 11:57 PM
I always have two neck lights and a headlamp.

Both my neck lights have whistles attached.

Were working on a rescue bag, small enough to carry all the time. Currently has a pair of small bolt cutters, half roll of duct tape, small first aid kit, whistle, back up light, rescue throw bag. And of course a dry pack for the cell in case of emergency.
The two guys I fish with are
going to make the same bag so we all have the same gear.

The bag is designed to be small and light enough to carry out to the spot then left on the rocks or swam with to the desired spot.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device

ivanputski
01-19-2012, 11:59 PM
Dont forget reflectors on the bag that is left on shore... Makes it soooo much easy to find your bag that you left "right here next to the rock"

chefchris401
01-20-2012, 12:06 AM
Also forgot It will have a small airhorn and flares or light sticks.

Yes reflective tape and handles.

The bag it's going in is still to be decided. Thinking of a small see thru or bright colored dry bag or a soft sided cooler

johnny ducketts
01-20-2012, 08:18 AM
wading belt, inflatable pfd suspender type.

Chubby-Chaser
01-20-2012, 09:12 AM
I was thinking of adding a boat whistle to my gear this season, does anyone carry one?

Rob Rockcrawler
01-21-2012, 08:55 AM
A water proof cell phone, or one kept in a plastic bag. There arent many places where you cant get cell service. I am surprised a cell phone manufacturer hasnt come out with a phone that also has a marine band radio on it.

I carry manleys with me. Either in my plug bag or in my holster. I was surprised at how well they held up last year between getting dunked in the holster and the bag they are in great shape. It would be nice if they would make a pair out of aluminum so maintenance wouldn't be such a big deal.

In regards to Wearbars, how many people have used them for a season in lug soles? Ive only used them in felts and they are great but i would like to try them in lugs as i really like a couple varieties of LL Beans boots.

piemma
01-21-2012, 11:08 AM
A water proof cell phone, or one kept in a plastic bag. There arent many places where you cant get cell service. I am surprised a cell phone manufacturer hasnt come out with a phone that also has a marine band radio on it.

I carry manleys with me. Either in my plug bag or in my holster. I was surprised at how well they held up last year between getting dunked in the holster and the bag they are in great shape. It would be nice if they would make a pair out of aluminum so maintenance wouldn't be such a big deal.

In regards to Wearbars, how many people have used them for a season in lug soles? Ive only used them in felts and they are great but i would like to try them in lugs as i really like a couple varieties of LL Beans boots.
I have Manleys that are 30 years old and all I have done to them is a squirt of WD-40 every now and then.

Liv2Fish
01-21-2012, 07:10 PM
5 hour energy has helped me stay sharp on the way home from those long consecutive nights. :jump1:

JohnR
01-24-2012, 07:34 AM
5 hour energy has helped me stay sharp on the way home from those long consecutive nights. :jump1:
:btu: 5 HE has stopped me from nearly falling asleep on top of a rock... As has my camelback with 100oz of Energy drink

striper774
01-24-2012, 08:17 AM
wading belt, inflatable pfd suspender type.

John,pfd's Bass Pro man/inf $69 sale 24lb boyancy

PaulS
01-24-2012, 01:53 PM
I laminated my fishing license and made about 10 copies that I put in all my various bags. I'm gonna also do that w/my name, address, tel. # in case I loose my bag. I'll also include an emergency phone #. You can do that at staples for like $2.

Clogston29
01-24-2012, 02:04 PM
anyone try, or know anyone who has tried, liquipel for their cell?

i like having my phone with me in case of emergency.

Liquipel | Waterproof Your Cell Phone, No Case Required! (http://www.liquipel.com/)

(mods - delete the link if its not cool, I have no affiliation or first hand knowledge of the product)

chefchris401
01-24-2012, 02:16 PM
anyone try, or know anyone who has tried, liquipel for their cell?

i like having my phone with me in case of emergency.

Liquipel | Waterproof Your Cell Phone, No Case Required! (http://www.liquipel.com/)

(mods - delete the link if its not cool, I have no affiliation or first hand knowledge of the product)

seems pretty cool, dont think id trust it though. prices are 59.99 to 79.99 plus shipping fees to the company.

for the same money get a life proof case, 100 percent waterproof, just ordered one for the iphone

RIROCKHOUND
01-25-2012, 07:46 PM
I always have two neck lights and a headlamp.

Both my neck lights have whistles attached.

Were working on a rescue bag, small enough to carry all the time. Currently has a pair of small bolt cutters, half roll of duct tape, small first aid kit, whistle, back up light, rescue throw bag. And of course a dry pack for the cell in case of emergency.
The two guys I fish with are
going to make the same bag so we all have the same gear.

The bag is designed to be small and light enough to carry out to the spot then left on the rocks or swam with to the desired spot.

I agree on the two lights, and all that stuff is well and good, but......
there is something inherently safer about having less stuff dangling off you...
ask Nebe..

I have most of that stuff in the truck. Out there, give me my sharp knife, small plug bag, heavy pliers and my eel/squid soft cooler.

spence
01-25-2012, 07:54 PM
but......
there is something inherently safer about having less stuff dangling off you...
ask NEBE

Wasn't that his plug bag at Deep Hole?

Agree though, too much crap turns you into a gypsy.

chefchris401
01-25-2012, 09:46 PM
The bag is for emegency situations, something I can leave on the shore or rocks. I actually just picked up all the items needed and will start a thread about it separately.

I agree less is more. 3 tube bag, confidence plugs, pliers and dive knife on the belt.

The bag is one of those "worst case scenario" things