View Full Version : Bootfoot or Stocking Foot

Fishpart
05-13-2003, 07:53 AM
I'm finally going to replace my Benny's specials with Breathables. Now th edebate is Boot Foot or Stocking Foot?

What's your take? I'll be using them on sand and ROCKS (with Korkers)!

Saltheart
05-13-2003, 10:57 AM
I like boot foot. I voted.

redlite
05-13-2003, 11:03 AM
Depends on where you'll be fishing. If you are mainly on the sandy beaches, stocking foot waders get sand between the boot and wader that becomes very uncomfortable when walking. Also, they hold a lot more sand when you taker them off and throw them in the back seat.

tobias
05-13-2003, 11:14 AM
You should check out the Orvis Silverlabel Hiking Bootfoot waders. I love mine! They're like other bootfoots but come with laces so you can tighten them up. A little expensive but guaranteed for life, I'll never have to buy another pair!:D

redlite
05-13-2003, 11:24 AM
Unfortunately I believe they discontinued that model. My buddy tried to get them a few months ago and the guy at the Boston Orvis said they were unavailable. Definately the happy medium between stocking foot and boot foot.

NilsC
05-13-2003, 11:25 AM
Personally I like stocking foot, because I can change between different shoes.

MountainBreeze
05-13-2003, 11:35 AM
I love my ORVIS Stockingfoot Breathables! I pick the sole I want to use on my ORVIS Convertible wading boots and I'm off!

I don't know about other brands but the ORVIS Stockingfoots have a great "flap" that goes over the boot and keeps sand out. I have not had a problem with sand in my boots as of yet! (knock on wood!) ;)

Good luck,
Rob

schoolie monster
05-13-2003, 11:57 AM
My breathables came with neoprene gravel guards that create a good, tight seal between the waders and boot. I haven't had too much trouble with alot of sand.

Fishpart, I'd be a little leary of the breathables around the rocks. You are doing a little more heavy duty surf fishing than I am and I have a leak after just two seasons. You might shred those fairly quickly down in RI.

I got the White River brand from BPS. I really like them, but 2 seasons isn't very long and I primarily fished from the boat last year. Maybe some of the other brands are tougher, but I'm of the opinion that orvis, bps, cabelas, etc are pretty much the same stuff.

Now who knows what caused the leak, the waders are in great shape overall without alot of visible wear... possible that I stuck 'em with a hook or something last year or in transport or whatever... it is a small leak that I didn't even know about until I took off my waders.

Just my .02 which is probably worth even less these days.

Mike P
05-13-2003, 12:30 PM
Depends on individual need, IMO. Wading boots usually have better arch/ankle support than sewn-on wader boots.

Too bad about Orvis discontinuing those hiking boot models--they did seem to strike the perfect balance.

chris L
05-13-2003, 01:13 PM
I heard ( dont know how true ) that they had lots of complaints of leaks . But thats what I heard !

Fishpart
05-13-2003, 01:32 PM
I was planning on getting breathables from LL Bean. I have been using their other products as long as I can remeber and any time I have had an issue they have made good with their warranty.

I would like to fish the rocks harder this year, depends on what fishing partner I can get when.

MountainBreeze
05-13-2003, 01:42 PM
Just wondering ... (Not trying to be a wise arse)

How many of you who voted for Boot Foot have tried Stocking Foot? And, the other way around as well?

redlite
05-13-2003, 01:46 PM
I have tried stocking foot and liked the comfortable, snug fit, but was too much work. Plus I didn't like getting my hands all sandy when I took them off. Such a priss.:gf:

JohnR
05-13-2003, 01:55 PM
I've used boot foot and stocking with wader shoes and SF/WS is far more comfortable in my opinion. Love 'em!

Fly Rod
05-13-2003, 02:09 PM
Difinitly BOOTFOOT:happy: :happy: Less work and less chance of forgetting the boots at home and two less items to carry.:D :D

Don't forget the WADING BELT!!!!:D :D :D

Bigcat
05-13-2003, 03:11 PM
Bootfoot for the salt.

fisherman jim
05-13-2003, 03:14 PM
stocking foot,,, none other,,, i can't get a pair of bootfoot waders to fit my feet properly,, and the boot usually leaves a chaffe mark on the leg,, ouch!!!

IFG
05-13-2003, 07:41 PM
Steel Shank

nightfighter
05-13-2003, 09:37 PM
Going on my third year with Orvis Silver label breathable with felt sole boot and really like the product. Don't know any better, never tried stocking foot, but as mentioned earlier, two more things to carry, or forget, and more time to put on and off. My boot is a little bigger than I should have gotten, but it didn't keep me from hopping all them ball bearing boulders on Cuttyhunk last year!!!

denis
05-14-2003, 06:49 AM
Boot hands down,had a lot of trouble with wadding shoe filling in with sand,not from the gravel guards or top but from the drain holes in the shoe,