View Full Version : Great first day for the rodbuilders

Saltheart
01-28-2012, 03:09 PM
Well we started the rodbuilding today and it all went very well IMO. We took longer than expected but every guy ended up with a "perfect" job on mounting the reel seat. Everyone is fairly good with the handcrafts. No clutzes getting epoxy in their hair , etc.

Looking forward to next Sat.

iamskippy
01-28-2012, 03:59 PM
:nopics:

spence
01-28-2012, 04:51 PM
:nopics:

Funny, I was going to post the same thing.

-spence

Saltheart
01-28-2012, 05:19 PM
This was nose to the grindstone getting things done. :) To the best of my knowledge there were no pictures taken.

striperman36
01-28-2012, 05:49 PM
pics are only available to attendees as reference items

Rob Rockcrawler
01-28-2012, 08:45 PM
It was a good day. I feel pretty confident that i could set a reel seat alone. That was the thing that made me the most nervous. Nice meeting everyone, cant wait to try this stick out when its finished.

chrisjoe13
01-29-2012, 08:57 AM
I took one picture and will post if Rob doesn't mind (shows his face).

Rob Rockcrawler
01-29-2012, 09:22 AM
This isn't rod builders anonymous.

chrisjoe13
01-29-2012, 09:46 AM
I can't say what we used this epoxy for though (Saltheart proprietary secret).

chefchris401
01-29-2012, 10:06 AM
Was a good day, nice meeting everyone too, the reel seat was the one thing I really wanted to see, the hardest step but pretty easy to do after you learn some tricks.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device

Saltheart
01-29-2012, 12:22 PM
The epoxy isn't the secret , its how we get it inside the gap between the blank and seat so expertly that is the secret. Until this class only my cat knew and she's not talking. :)

IMO in rodbuilding , the seat mounting is the most difficult thing to undo if you screw it up , thats why I wanted everyone to do it with me present. Guide layout is the "headiest" stuff. Takes a lot of playing around to optimize although getting something "good" is less difficult. Without a doubt , applying the thread finish at the end takes the most craftsmanship and is where many a fine build is turned into a mess. Decorative wraps serve no functional purpose fishing wise so you won't ruin the rod but you can write UGLY all over it if you do that wrong.

These seven guys are all pretty good so I have no doubt they will all successful complete a perfect build.

Number one lesson saturday was....Do it perfect or do it over again! Never settle for just OK!