View Full Version : Bidding on Ebay

Swimmer
01-30-2012, 04:07 PM
Tell me that the person who owns a lure up for bid on Ebay does not bid up his product. The lure, a Lido Flaptail, has four bids by p***e. Two of those bids were bidding up his own previous bid. Smells. Its like a double reserve.

I weish you could edit the header in the post, EBAT, du,ohhhh.

eBay.com Item Bid History (http://offer.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewBids&_trksid=p4340.l2565&rt=nc&item=170770219805)

BigFish
01-30-2012, 04:45 PM
Thats an Atom Jr. Frank and I see nothing wrong with that bidding history. Often times if someone has a great desire for an item they will bid multiple times until they achieve the high bid....thats why they have back to back bids. If you want to know if they are on the up and up look at their Ebay history, how many transactions they have had and what their rating is! I have never had a problem!

fcap60
01-30-2012, 04:50 PM
Maybe, maybe not.

Typically, when you submit a bid on ebay it enters the lowest amount first, and then bids up from there if others bid. For example. If I see a lure with no bids yet (or low bids) and I bid $25.00. My fist bid will show something like only .50 or 1.00 over the lowest bid. (let's say your bid is $10.00), mine will show as $11.00 and every time a bid is made between (0ver $11.00 and less than $25.00), my bid will OUTBID it by $1.00 up until my cieling of $25.00. (rather than jump from $11.00 to $25.00 immediately)

It's possible you just saw this type of bidding on Ebay.

BigFish
01-30-2012, 04:54 PM
What I am saying is if the party bid and his bid was not high enough to top the party with the high bid....he placed a consequent bid. I have been on Ebay awhile.....I understand how it works.

If the party bid and his low bid was not high enough to overtake the existing parties bid limit....they more than likely placed another bid to get them over the top.

Swimmer
01-30-2012, 04:55 PM
Thats an Atom Jr. Frank and I see nothing wrong with that bidding history. Often times if someone has a great desire for an item they will bid multiple times until they achieve the high bid....thats why they have back to back bids. If you want to know if they are on the up and up look at their Ebay history, how many transactions they have had and what their rating is! I have never had a problem!

I understand what your saying Larry, but this guys bid jumped $10.00 twice. Just trying to decipher, not saying anything is scewy.

BigFish
01-30-2012, 04:58 PM
There is a learning curve on Ebay Frank if you are new to it, be careful and pay attention. Check the selling parties credentials and make sure they are reputable. Don't jump to premature conclusions.

Swimmer
01-30-2012, 05:01 PM
Love the Lido. It will finish well out of myballpark though, I'm sure.

BigFish
01-30-2012, 05:05 PM
No doubt!

PRBuzz
01-30-2012, 06:00 PM
Fairly common phenomena, chech out i**0's bidding on this item.:smash:

Swimmer
01-30-2012, 07:14 PM

My query though has to do with the same person placing two bids in a row, with no other bidder raising the bid, by ten dollars twice on the same plug. It seems that this person would be the obne who owns the plug.

PRBuzz
01-30-2012, 07:38 PM
Yes and in my example same ID post 13 bids in a row, break with other bidders, then 4 more in a row with nothing in between! Reading bottom to top.

Rob Rockcrawler
01-30-2012, 07:41 PM
Im kind of new to ebay, its pretty fun. Some good deals to be had at times. Not so much on the plugs though. I also wonder about the bidding and who is actually doing it.

Jenn
01-30-2012, 07:53 PM
Is it possible....yes. but this bidding history could be simply one person setting their max bid and someone else trying to inch in. See the high bid and bid time. It was made before the previous bids which tells me that they had a higher max bid than the last bid in the history.

For example if my max bid is $50 and you bid say $30 the history will show me winning the bid at say $31.00 but not your bid of $30 since my highest bid is already set higher than yours

Piscator
01-30-2012, 08:07 PM

I’ve been doing to ebay thing for a while and I think this is how it can be explained.

When the item was listed for $.99, I***o placed an initial bid of $54.00 but the amount he is on the hook for is $.99 until someone bids over that amount. Once someone bids over $.54.00, they are the current high bidder. Each time someone else places a bid over the initial bid $.99 but under the highest maximum bid (in this case $54.00), The ebay system tells that bidder they have been outbid since it is under the $54.00 amount. Each time this happens, the screen shows I***o as an updated bid price on the site making it appear that he actually placed a new bid. Think of it as I***o placing a bid of $54.00. Every time C***r placed a bid over $.99 but under $54.00, it shows a bid update by I***o because he still has the high bid based off his $54.00 max bid.

I was confused at first but then saw an action I won and looked at the bid history. I placed a bid high than the initial price, after I won, I looked at the history and it showed all of my “ebay generated” bids. I never actually bid it was the system outbidding for me over the others bidders but only up to my total maximum bid.

It’s confusing but once you understand it, it makes sense.

PRBuzz
01-30-2012, 08:40 PM
But as this thread started, it could be the seller placing a bid which in a way ensures that there is a minimum acceptable (reserve) bid which must be bested by another bidder to win the item. The risk being the seller purchases back his own item if his bid is not exceeded by another bidder.

PRBuzz
01-30-2012, 08:51 PM
I’ve been doing to ebay thing for a while and I think this is how it can be explained.

When the item was listed for $.99, I***o placed an initial bid of $54.00 but the amount he is on the hook for is $.99 until someone bids over that amount. Once someone bids over $.54.00, they are the current high bidder. Each time someone else places a bid over the initial bid $.99 but under the highest maximum bid (in this case $54.00), The ebay system tells that bidder they have been outbid since it is under the $54.00 amount. Each time this happens, the screen shows I***o as an updated bid price on the site making it appear that he actually placed a new bid. Think of it as I***o placing a bid of $54.00. Every time C***r placed a bid over $.99 but under $54.00, it shows a bid update by I***o because he still has the high bid based off his $54.00 max bid.

I was confused at first but then saw an action I won and looked at the bid history. I placed a bid high than the initial price, after I won, I looked at the history and it showed all of my “ebay generated” bids. I never actually bid it was the system outbidding for me over the others bidders but only up to my total maximum bid.

It’s confusing but once you understand it, it makes sense.

NO IT DOESN"T!:confused:

OK an example of one of my bids: I placed 1st bid with max @$25.00. It doesn't even show my name by the $4.99 open. It then shows p**m placing 3 bids (all below my $25 max) then it finally shows me with the $25 current high bid (also my max). It doesn't show me alternating with p**m in any way as my max bid out bids each of his individual (significant time interval between bids) attempts to place high bid.

Piscator
01-30-2012, 09:24 PM
NO IT DOESN"T!:confused:

OK an example of one of my bids: I placed 1st bid with max @$25.00. It doesn't even show my name by the $4.99 open. It then shows p**m placing 3 bids (all below my $25 max) then it finally shows me with the $25 current high bid (also my max). It doesn't show me alternating with p**m in any way as my max bid out bids each of his individual (significant time interval between bids) attempts to place high bid.

Phil,

There should be an icon at the top right of the bid list "show automatic bids" & "hide automatic bids" click on that and see if it shows them. It should.

mdell
01-30-2012, 09:36 PM
Thats normal to see bidding trends like that

PRBuzz
01-30-2012, 09:55 PM
Phil,

There should be an icon at the top right of the bid list "show automatic bids" & "hide automatic bids" click on that and see if it shows them. It should.

There they are, thanks Dennis.

thefishingfreak
01-31-2012, 04:43 PM
If its .99 cent bids and I put a hundred bucks On it, it can show 90 something bids and only my name. Your name only goes to top of the list if you're winning.

U bid 55 bucks.... It's jumps to 56, and I'm still in the lead, looking like I bid again.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device

Pete F.
01-31-2012, 05:03 PM
Just snipe, it's easier and cheaper than getting in bidding wars. Snipe it at what you want to pay for it, if you get it good, if not try again. If it's something you "have" to have bid her to the moon or till your pocketbook can't stand it.

Grapenuts
01-31-2012, 05:17 PM
I..O is a newbie to bidding only bidding a few bucks at a time to see if he or she can out bid the person with a higher bid which most times does you no good ,he could bid 40 times to try to out bid the person higher then him...it's something newbies do.

Swimmer
01-31-2012, 05:19 PM
Just snipe, it's easier and cheaper than getting in bidding wars. Snipe it at what you want to pay for it, if you get it good, if not try again. If it's something you "have" to have bid her to the moon or till your pocketbook can't stand it.

Thats what I've done several times. It has worked out a few times, and not. No big deal.

Tagger
02-01-2012, 06:53 AM
Agree....
I Snipe ... only newbe's get in bidding wars with 6 days left .. Redonkulus .. Just brings attention to the item with the high bid count .. The seasoned bidders will be weighing in with 30 seconds left . Figure the top dollar your willing to pay then snipe . If you get it cheaper good for you ..

1dozenraw
02-01-2012, 08:11 AM
Agree....
I Snipe ... only newbe's get in bidding wars with 6 days left .. Redonkulus .. Just brings attention to the item with the high bid count .. The seasoned bidders will be weighing in with 30 seconds left . Figure the top dollar your willing to pay then snipe . If you get it cheaper good for you ..
Exactly. I learned this from a good friend in the antiques business (he makes his living this way). He previews auctions and leaves bids. The auction house notifies him if he wins. With snipe I do the same. I see the item, decide what I'm willing to pay and forget about it. When I get something I'm pleased. When I don't... it went for more than I wanted to pay. I've been on ebay since 1999 and have over 1200 transaction.. it's been great and taught me a lot. I have no issues with it.

The bidding you describe is very common. A bidder chasing an item or a high bid. I really don't think shill bidding works all that well on ebay so I don't think it is as common as some believe. Often what is described as an example of shill bidding is the reaction of someone who did not win and is not happy.

Decide what you'll pay and leave the bid late in the game.