View Full Version : Ship Model Appraisal?

nightfighter
02-02-2012, 01:43 PM
Any idea where I could get a ship model appraised? It is a three masted square rigger, possibly a clipper. In a glass and mahogany case that is 40"L x 30"T x 14"W.

vineyardblues
02-02-2012, 02:44 PM
Hi Ross,
If it helps I just bid on several at Skinners Auction , and none went for more then 500.00 , I like the display case over yours ..
Everything is in the garbage can now a days

wicked cool stuff
VB

vineyardblues
02-02-2012, 02:47 PM
Sold For $450

Wooden Three-masted Sailing Ship Model,</I></U> approx. ht. 38, lg. 48 in

PaulS
02-02-2012, 03:28 PM
Ross,

This gallery is pretty close to me. Very, very expensive stuff. If you want me to take pictures in, I'd be happy to do it. I haven't been in the gallery in a few years but the guy was always very nice. It would give me an excuse to go in.

J. Russell Jinishian Gallery homepage (http://jrusselljinishiangallery.com/)

PaulS
02-02-2012, 03:29 PM
VB - do you ever bid on ships in a bottle?

HighTide
02-02-2012, 03:32 PM
Try giving these guys a call
www.lannangallery.com

Never been in the shop, but I've been by it a few dozen times.

vineyardblues
02-02-2012, 04:18 PM
VB - do you ever bid on ships in a bottle?

no ,
vb

nightfighter
02-02-2012, 05:05 PM
Ross,

This gallery is pretty close to me. Very, very expensive stuff. If you want me to take pictures in, I'd be happy to do it. I haven't been in the gallery in a few years but the guy was always very nice. It would give me an excuse to go in.

J. Russell Jinishian Gallery homepage (http://jrusselljinishiangallery.com/)

That would be great, Paul. Certainly can't hurt...

The model came from the estate of a George McQueston 1887-1975 who made his fortune importing quality wood to the shipbuilding and homebuilding (finish) industry. He was well to do as he got Mass license plate #4.... all during the post-depression time that Mayor/Governor Michael Curly pulled #5 for himself. If I had to guess, the model was made in the 1930s, possibly earlier, so no plastic, all lines go through working blocks, and all knots appear to be tied, not just glued. I was in his house in the 70s, so I know from all the high end wood trim in there that he wouldn't buy anything but the best. It might be worth some dough, or not.... Depending on an appraisal, I might turn it for a new kitchen, or maybe just a cabinet...

OLD GOAT
02-02-2012, 07:46 PM
Back in the 60's or 70's I did some work for a gent at Liberty square,in So. Dennis,Mass. Inviting to his cellar I saw wall to wall ship models beyond belief. These models where to scale and were ribbed and planked. It had working rigging and the finest Iv,e ever seen.
I think he said he got 3,000 to re rig a model at that time .

And know for the best part. I can't remember his name but he he did all the work himself and he had ONE ARM.

basswipe
02-03-2012, 06:57 AM
Antique shows New England|interior decorating Boston|interior decorating Massachusetts (http://www.neantiqueshows.com/)

And antiques roadshow will be in Boston on June 9th.

likwid
02-03-2012, 10:00 PM
Whaling ship.

Looks like the Morgan