View Full Version : Painting some small eelys bone

Ryan560
02-06-2012, 11:02 AM
I mixed up some white and yellow to try and match a bone bomber, it looked like I had a pretty close match while the paint was in the jar now the more I look at it's looking like a pale yellow more than bone. What kinda paint do you guys use to get a bone color? I'm debating whether or not to repaint these things:smash:
Has been a good winter for building and testing plugs so far, lots of open water around here.

chefchris401
02-06-2012, 11:40 AM
I use a Val spar spray paint, I think. I'll double check when I get in after work.

It's a gloss paint, looks pretty close to the Redfin shade.

I'll post a pic when I get in.

Btw that small white and pink Danny I got from you at plugfest last year is amazing, great job!
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device

iamskippy
02-06-2012, 12:37 PM
Ryan keep in mind that your base coat has alot to do with what you final color looks like, so depending on the color of your primer it will effect the outcome of the jar color. i would suggest either putting another coat, or maybe scuffing it shooting it with a white primer and try 2 coats again, those light colors are difficult.

Ryan560
02-06-2012, 12:57 PM
Thanks Chris
Skip thanks I'll try that out on one of them, I've been using rusto painters touch white primer.

iamskippy
02-06-2012, 01:16 PM
And if memory recalls that is not a bright white right, you have to account for absorbsion rate as well, did you sand after your primer or shoot? Was your primer very dry?

Ryan560
02-06-2012, 04:20 PM
It's kinda a bright white I guess, if ya look at the picture I posted the plug on the bottom is the rusto primer I been using. I shot 2 coats of primer and then sanded with 220, they sat for about a week before I went ahead and airbrushed them the other day so I'd say the primer was dry...

iamskippy
02-06-2012, 05:51 PM
It's kinda a bright white I guess, if ya look at the picture I posted the plug on the bottom is the rusto primer I been using. I shot 2 coats of primer and then sanded with 220, they sat for about a week before I went ahead and airbrushed them the other day so I'd say the primer was dry...

the image is kind of tough to see, you could always airbrush your primer and add a little of the actual color you are going to use to it. That is a old car painting trick to save on paint. Can you get a cleaner shot?

Grapenuts
02-06-2012, 05:56 PM
bone is more in the tan family....try white, brown w/ a splash of yellow.

Ryan560
02-06-2012, 06:44 PM
Tried to take a better picture hard to get right lighting to see the color difference.
Thanks Grapenuts, I'll give that a shot

iamskippy
02-06-2012, 08:10 PM
yup nuts is right that is a better pic doesn't look like you are that far off. 1 coat or 2?

Ryan560
02-06-2012, 08:24 PM
That's 2 coats of the white and yellow I mixed. I'm gonna try the white brown mix, just gotta run out and get some brown paint. I should have paid more attention in art class :uhuh:

iamskippy
02-06-2012, 08:47 PM
That's 2 coats of the white and yellow I mixed. I'm gonna try the white brown mix, just gotta run out and get some brown paint. I should have paid more attention in art class :uhuh:

I failed finger painting

chefchris401
02-07-2012, 07:38 PM
Ryan the paint i used is krylon IVORY, almost an exact match, get the flat if you can and when you epoxy it its the perfect amount of shine.

the gloss is nice but its too shiny.

I used a tan base coat, also flat and krylon.

Ryan560
02-07-2012, 07:49 PM
Thanks for the help Chris I'll give that krylon a shot. I mixed up some brown with the yellow and white and got a close match think I'll paint half of them with krylon and the rest with the createx

pbadad
02-07-2012, 09:56 PM
Premium Decor spray paint in Ivory. I do my white plugs with this color and brand. Resembles the Gibbs off white. adding the epoxy which is slightly yellowish brings the color closer to bone. I'll need to get some craft colors to make the bone and shoot w/ airbrush.

JMAC_kerel
02-08-2012, 09:50 AM
Love the size and shape of that eely. Nice work Ryan.