View Full Version : Winter project for today....

Mr. Sandman
02-12-2012, 04:23 PM
Well, after pulling what is left out of my thinning hair while attempting to build some teak and holly steps into the lower quarters...(the number of compound cuts and the lack of anything square is starting to get to me)
I decided to not get PO'ed and let these problems simmer for a while.

I went back inside and dumb'ed it down a bit... Spliced up a few more rod/reel lanyards. (one end clips on the backing plate, the other to the reel) I made a couple last year and found these work just great and don't get in the way when not in use and are easy to get on/off when in use.

thefishingfreak
02-12-2012, 04:58 PM
Not for nuthin but those clips test out at something like 30 pounds to straiten out. Clip one on something and pull you'll see.
Stainless Steel Carabiner Spring Snap Link - 1/4" x 2-3/16" 60mm:Amazon:Sports & Outdoors (http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B003GQGT1O/ref=redir_mdp_mobile)
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device

Mr. Sandman
02-12-2012, 06:03 PM
30#'s? a sampo snap holds more than that! I just put it in my bench vise, made a loop in one end. Stood in the loop putting all my weight (193#), it did not even flex or even appear to want to open.

I will admit I just purchased these clips. I have some with larger stainless clips on board now and they appear stronger but I wanted something smaller than the carabiners I have seen because the larger clips don't work on some of the smaller setups I have. I have had to wrap them around the reel/rod and clip to the line.
The max drag I fish with is probably 40# my heaviest "strike" drag I use is 29#. I don't use or even own 130's. fish mostly 50w's and smaller, (80w's is the largest gear I use and they rarely see action) I tend to fish lighter stand up gear.

But I hear what you are saying, I may move up one size for the hellofit

thefishingfreak
02-12-2012, 06:50 PM
If i remember on the package it said something like 54# working load on the 1/4" brass spring clips where as if you go to a positive lock 1/4" clip it's up in the 200# range. I straitened one trolling a chum bucket off it.
I always thought more of them as angler safety straps instead of rod straps especially when your fastened into a harness and could go overboard in a split second that's what's holding you to the boat

MakoMike
02-12-2012, 09:10 PM
I always thought more of them as angler safety straps instead of rod straps especially when your fastened into a harness and could go overboard in a split second that's what's holding you to the boat

:tm:

Van
02-13-2012, 11:56 AM
I made some out of some 1" strap with SS hooks that are pretty hefty. I just made a big loop on the other end so it can go over anything. The real purpose of mine is when I fish with rods out to the sides in those "reliable" things or in my homemade outriggers. I won't accidentally not lose the rod over the side, when I have charter or other beginners on board. So it only has to withstand the pressure of the reel's drag.

The pic shows the hook type. Really strong.

Mr. Sandman
02-13-2012, 12:22 PM
OK...I dug a little deeper and I just ordered a bunch of the stainless carabiners with eyes . They do have a higher working load. The bronze clips are more for looks. (and I had a few laying around, doubt they would break) I should have enough now to put on every gunnel rod holder. And one for my shotgun rod fished from the rocket launcher.

I am more worried about the rod/ reel ending up in the drink and usually clip one to the reel or rod ring to the base of the holder while trolling.

The attachment for the angler to the boat during big game fishing is a different rig altogether. I have an aftco strap of sorts with clips on either end. But that is only used when harness fishing.

Even when I fish for bonito (or even dead stick a bottom fishing rod) I usually have the rod riggers out when trolling and if you don't have a tether on the rod, there is a real risk of losing your gear esp with guests on board. Once the angler has the rod in his hand, I unclip it. The issue tends to be in the transition from rod holder to angler that stuff is lost.
On a friends boat I did see once a a rod rigger locking pin break on a fish hit and it rotated 90 deg in the holder, and the rod "launched" itself out of the rigger never to be seen again. I don't want to see the same thing happen to my gear.

Typhoon
02-14-2012, 10:23 AM
Had my first near 130 death experience this year on a big fish. Lanyard saved the day.

I've always been very lazy about clipping lanyards until this year.