View Full Version : HELP...Drilling stainless Steel

Muskyslayer96
02-18-2012, 06:40 AM
Hey fellas,

I'm struggling to get a method down for getting my through holes drilled in the SS lips and brackets i make. Is there a drill bit or another method that can make it easier? I am currently cutting the pattern out with aviation snips and grinding/sanding/buffing it to shape, (Thanks Ted for the tutorial on lips, the buffing wheel has been very helpful) then starting a hole with a punch and then using a drill bit for metal?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

MS

Grapenuts
02-18-2012, 07:05 AM
roper/whitney hand punch no.5.....check them out on ebay...should be part of anyone tool kit when making plugs.

Ryan560
02-18-2012, 07:30 AM
When I make my own lips I use a 5/64" cobalt drill bit and some cutting oil, and some needle files. The key is to not burn up the bit, keep the rpm's down and keep steady pressure on the drill.You could probably get away with a sharp hss bit as well. Whitney punch would be the way to go however I lost all but one set of dies for mine.

iamskippy
02-18-2012, 08:58 AM
Whitney punch would be the way to goe.

To soon man to soon
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device

Ryan560
02-18-2012, 12:27 PM
:laugha:

Nebe
02-18-2012, 02:50 PM
Turn your bit very slow
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device

ProfessorM
02-18-2012, 08:48 PM
like stated above the punch works great and if you are going to drill, slower RPM's and some oil. Also even though it is a thin piece of stock starting with a center drill first will help out as it will decrease the burr on the down side of the stock and make you hole come out nice and round and not triangular shaped as it often does with thin stock.