View Full Version : Wood species/plug question

nightfighter
02-20-2012, 12:03 PM
My supply is dwindling... about to cut up some maple table legs I got off the curb.

So the question I pose to you all is; what plug do you build with a particular species? And if you use different species for the same plug, how do you change the build/weighting or account for the difference between the species?

Or looked at another way. beginning with the plug first, which species do you like to build a particular plug from?

Lastly...is there going to be any AYC, WRC, or EWC available at Plugfest?

Rockfish9
02-20-2012, 12:28 PM
Most of my swimmers and poppers are from WRC...
Most of my darters are from birch... my Pinkney style is made from maple... I make some shallow water runners( darters) from AYC

some deep water swimmers ( Conrads, slope heads) I make from birch
my sinking needles are from Mahogany as are my blue streak knock offs.. but AYC works well here too.... my floaters are from WRC..

I've also made some nice stuff out of clear pine...

pbadad
02-20-2012, 09:32 PM
Joe, how much weight do you use in your birch slopeheads?

nightfighter
03-05-2012, 08:42 PM
Turned some of the maple I got from PNG and pbadad. Comes off the lathe smooth as silk. Did a couple of Joe's darter bodies. What other plugs do you like to use maple for?
Got my first basswood from Chris too. Same question....

Slipknot
03-05-2012, 08:46 PM
Ross, I am a spazz
I left with all the wood I brought in and forgot or didn't have time to give a mess of it to you :wall:

oh well , next time

if you go over Joes' soon and i can also, let me know
and maybe I drag paul too so there will be atleast one of us besides Joe not du cking thier heads down in the dungeon ;)

pbadad
03-05-2012, 08:54 PM
Ross I just started turning Conrads and Sr slopeheads. Weigh in approx 3.5oz. One slug that Prof M uses, 3/8X 3/4"deep. These plugs DIVE. I turned Big surf needles 8.25" x 7/8 dia. weogh in approx 3.5 oz. One thing I do is heat the maple 200 degrees for 15 minutes. Making sure it warm to touch I immerse in 06%val oil and 40% pure turps for 3 hrs to assure soaking in to prevent cracking. They gain 4-5 grams of sealer. have fun with the wood.

Mojo7
03-05-2012, 10:04 PM
My dad gave me some cherry he had left over from a project what types of plugs would cherry be good for? I also was given a big piece of bass wood any ideas?
Does anybody know what the type of wood is in the picture I posted below is. A guy at work gave it to me and said he got it from a buddy who builds high end custom furniture. It shines like it has a finish on it but I was told it doesn't?
Ross sorry for jumping in on your thread.

blondterror
03-05-2012, 11:04 PM
Mojo- That looks like teak to me... it is an oliy wood that is used for outdoor furniture and last forever... very rot resistant.... might be good for needles

Mojo7
03-05-2012, 11:09 PM
I don't think it's teak but it might be. You can't really tell in the picture but the wood is almost black.

blondterror
03-05-2012, 11:26 PM
If it is not teak is may be mahogany or one of the species that is very similar to mahogany. The dense tight grain Honduras mahogany of year gone by is very difficult to find now..

Grapenuts
03-06-2012, 06:46 AM
My dad gave me some cherry he had left over from a project what types of plugs would cherry be good for? I also was given a big piece of bass wood any ideas?
Does anybody know what the type of wood is in the picture I posted below is. A guy at work gave it to me and said he got it from a buddy who builds high end custom furniture. It shines like it has a finish on it but I was told it doesn't?
Ross sorry for jumping in on your thread.

cherry= needles

basswood=swimmers

that looks like cocobolo....hard as a rock...makes your skin itch when turning it...they make nun-chuck handles out of it....I'd just though it on shelf and not use it unless your a pro on a lathe.

pbadad
03-06-2012, 06:58 AM
It might be palopei. we use it for outside decking. hard as nails, nasty dust and heavy as S**T. I've turned on dupe for skin needles, 5-6" 3/4"dia.. weight them w/ 2 slugs, wire, no paint or sealer. Fish well in rough or deep water.

Rockfish9
03-06-2012, 07:38 AM
If it is not teak is may be mahogany or one of the species that is very similar to mahogany. The dense tight grain Honduras mahogany of year gone by is very difficult to find now..

That's exactly what it is... I've got a ton of it given to me by a neighbor because he wanted to "dispose" of it after his deck was built...
it makes great needles and blue streak knock offs..

Slipknot
03-06-2012, 08:25 AM
mojo, that is either cocobolo like grapenuts said or it is Bocote

If it is oily, it may even be Tamboti. but hard to tell from a picture

my guess = cocobolo

Raven
03-06-2012, 08:28 AM
the most easiest maple to get that's aged for 40 years
is old maple bed posts (& chairs) for typically single beds and up

you just have to watch craig's list free section or take drives on
trash days...

the rule of thumb now
is the free sign...
because it is hassle free

if you want it free

The Dad Fisherman
03-06-2012, 08:58 AM
I use mahogany for my needles...smells like chit when you turn it....but it turns pretty easy

Rockfish9
03-06-2012, 08:58 AM
if anybody should know.. Slip would... I should have read more carefully.. shiny is the key word.. I've made enough bowls and trinkets from Cocobolo that I ought to know better..

Rockfish9
03-06-2012, 09:00 AM
and seeing someone mentioned teak.. nasty stuff... contains alot of silica... not only is it real bad to breathe.. it dulls tools like your turning a log of sand...

piemma
03-06-2012, 03:48 PM
Most of my swimmers and poppers are from WRC...
Most of my darters are from birch... my Pinkney style is made from maple... I make some shallow water runners( darters) from AYC

some deep water swimmers ( Conrads, slope heads) I make from birch
my sinking needles are from Mahogany as are my blue streak knock offs.. but AYC works well here too.... my floaters are from WRC..

I've also made some nice stuff out of clear pine...

I am not in the same class of plugbuilders as most of you guys but my plugs look Ok and catch fish well. I use AYC for everything. I pour a lead weight about 2/3 of the way back on my swimmers. How much lead depends on how heavy I want the plug for casting and the sink rate I'm looking for. The one thing about the AYC is I have never sealed them before painting and I have never had one split paint or flake. I think that's why we use AYC because it doesn't absorb water.

The Dad Fisherman
03-06-2012, 04:17 PM
a lot of your cedars don't soak up water, which is why they are good for outdoor applications

piemma
03-06-2012, 04:18 PM
a lot of your cedars don't soak up water, which is why they are good for outdoor applications

Thanks. That is what I assumed.

nightfighter
03-11-2012, 07:37 AM
Kevin, have you ever used maple for your spook profile? Thinking about trying a couple that way to improve distance. Going with same tail weight for first round. I should be able to test by mid week.