View Full Version : Props to DZ

JohnR
02-22-2012, 12:24 PM
Great Needlefish Presentation last night at Narragansett Surfcasters :btu:

I took notes ;)

GattaFish
02-22-2012, 12:46 PM
Bummed I missed it... I did see him at CSA last year but a refresher would have been nice....

Great writer too...

DZ
02-22-2012, 04:54 PM

I took notes ;)

Thanks John - I enjoy talking with the Narragansett Surfcasters and Connecticut Surfcasters. Great groups and many of them are long time friends of mine. It was my pleasure.

DZ

Joe
02-22-2012, 05:59 PM
You know what I always found interesting: Of all the lures to choose from, the needlefish simultaneously inspires the most faith in a lure, and the greatest lack of faith in a lure.
Strange that such a simple lure would posses the highest degree of duality of effectiveness, both negative and positive, depending upon who you ask.

PaulS
02-22-2012, 07:22 PM
Heard Dennis speak about a year ago and enjoyed it quite a bit.

tattoobob
02-22-2012, 07:36 PM
I really enjoy Talking to DZ he is a wealth of information and I always walk away learning something

thanks for being so open with and sharing your knowledge

Tagger
02-22-2012, 07:41 PM
Thanks Dennis ,, For years of time and knowledge ...

afterhours
02-22-2012, 08:07 PM
You know what I always found interesting: Of all the lures to choose from, the needlefish simultaneously inspires the most faith in a lure, and the greatest lack of faith in a lure.
Strange that such a simple lure would posses the highest degree of duality of effectiveness, both negative and positive, depending upon who you ask.

good observation.

RIROCKHOUND
02-23-2012, 06:32 AM

I took notes ;)
Bah redfin.... he's over-rated :biglaugh:

good talk as always DZ, and good to see you on the west side of the bridges..... remember the invite is always there to come hop rocks over here

DZ
02-23-2012, 09:52 AM

Joe, Don,

Most of the negative response comes down to lack of perceived action by casters. If it doesn't wiggle how could it catch bass? Same thing happened to me when I was first given a few Boone Needlefish back in 1982 by two brothers who would pinhook bass around the Elizabeth Islands from their boat. They told me that bass wouldn't leave it alone. I couldn't wait to try them in the Newport surf - took them out that very evening and watched them come through the water with no action and looking "like a stick with hooks attached". To say I was less than impressed is an understatement, I thought my friends had "played me". Threw the damn things into the basement and they wouldn't see the light of day until I went to Block and my surfcasting world turned upside down as those island fish couldn't leave it alone. That's when I first became a needlefish junkie - been hooked ever since.

With regards to needlefish I always say - "No action... is still action."

DZ

vineyardblues
02-23-2012, 10:18 AM
DZ = Needlefish = Joy

It's always been my lure at Night

Tagger
02-23-2012, 10:18 AM
I like a slow sink that almost suspends in their face .. No action means easy meal .. Catches a lot of larger fish that might not want to chase at times .

GattaFish
02-23-2012, 10:34 AM
Its funny,,, the first one I got I took it out to fish it and no action,,, no swim, no wiggle , nothing,,,

I thought I got a dud,,, lol,,

All until I was taken under the wing of Joe the Plumber many years ago... He shared so much, got me hooked and then introduced me to Block ..... Wow was I in for a lesson I would never forget and I was absorbing information like a dry sponge,,,,:uhuh::uhuh:

My choice of needles varies with conditions....

joe the plumber
02-24-2012, 07:29 PM
Its funny,,, the first one I got I took it out to fish it and no action,,, no swim, no wiggle , nothing,,,

I thought I got a dud,,, lol,,

All until I was taken under the wing of Joe the Plumber many years ago... He shared so much, got me hooked and then introduced me to Block ..... Wow was I in for a lesson I would never forget and I was absorbing information like a dry sponge,,,,:uhuh::uhuh:

My choice of needles varies with conditions....

And what fun we have had.....As far as needles go,now you are teaching me new things.
Kinda cool how things work out....