View Full Version : I suck at wrapping

nightfighter
02-22-2012, 08:30 PM
Never happy with how my tail wraps come out... Round nose pliers, allen wrench in a vise, pick, I've tried them all. Might even try heating the wire, after measuring out where the wrap will be, to make it more pliable. Don't know what wire it is, but already has the nose loop bent.
How many turns do you end up with on average?

ProfessorM
02-22-2012, 08:37 PM
LOL. Practice makes better. I like 2 turns. Start bend closer to the arse end of plug. You are probably starting the first bend too far away and thus have to wrap like crazy to get snug up against butt.

nightfighter
02-22-2012, 08:39 PM
No, I am actually tight to start. Was worried two turns was to little.....

O.D. Mike
02-22-2012, 09:30 PM
I find that you get better leverage using small vise grips holding the end of the wire, while its on the allen wrench (i use a 1/4 in hammerdrill bit). It doesn't have a chance to slip out while making the loops. So you can focus on making tight loops.

stripermaineiac
02-22-2012, 09:32 PM
2 turns works great. a little trick that works for me is to use a little longer wire so I can use the tag end as a tool to twist-turn the wire.Then cut off the extra.for what it cost it's well worth it.I'll be at plugfest look me up . i'll bring some extras an show you how I do them.

blondterror
02-22-2012, 10:09 PM
The technique that I use is to pull the wire tight straigt back with pliers holding the end of the wire... then I bend it 90degrees straight down.... then I bring that to a vice holding a cut off galv roofing nail held vertical with the nail head projecting up about 1- 1.5 inches above the vice jaws... I hold the plug with my left hand and pull the wire very tightly once around the nail just below the nail head... then I loosen the vcice and remove the nail... then I tighten the vice jaws on the end of the new loop and leave just enough room to wrap the wire 2x around the plug end... i cut the tag end off with a hack saw... 32 teeth per inch
... I cut about hald way and bend it back and forth with needlenose pliers til it breaks

ruhroh
02-22-2012, 11:49 PM
Make sure you seat the nose loop into the nose of the plug. If it's loose to start with, you'll need way too many turns to get your wrap tight.

GattaFish
02-22-2012, 11:56 PM
I have this little jig that someone VERY nice made me,,, zip bang boom,,, DONE,,,, maybe next week I will do a video,, The tag end is an easy snip too,,,,

way to busy until Sat.... ugh,,,, Back to work,,,

O.D. Mike
02-23-2012, 06:56 AM
I have this little jig that someone VERY nice made me,,, zip bang boom,,, DONE,,,, maybe next week I will do a video,, The tag end is an easy snip too,,,,

Video sounds good!!!!

Slipknot
02-23-2012, 07:29 AM

bring that to plugfest and show us

I do 2 wraps, but don't ask me, mine suck

I did learn from Habs and they are much better now