View Full Version : Hip Replacement

mekcotuit
02-23-2012, 11:08 AM
Hi All -
Am looking at having my right hip replaced this spring. Was wondering is anyone has gone through it or knows of anyone and how you/they made out? I have heard that hips are quicker recovery than knees. Think I will be able to fish (from shore), walk the beach by September? Any insights are appreciated. Thanks!

BigBo
02-23-2012, 11:21 AM
Sea Dangles just had his hip done. Last time he PM'd me, he was progressing very well.

PaulS
02-23-2012, 11:56 AM
I don't know anyone who has had a hip replaced but I'd read up on all the recalls and problems certain manufacturers have had. Good luck!

Saltheart
02-23-2012, 11:56 AM
I had mine done. After a tough first week its not bad at all. You must do a lot of PT rehab but you end up stronger. I would say your recovery depends on how old you are and what kind of shape you are in over all. If you are fairly young and in at all decent shape , you will probably be walking with a cane in 7 to 10 days.

Swimmer
02-23-2012, 06:27 PM
Whatever your choices are in this regard I wish you quick and complete recovery.

OLD GOAT
02-23-2012, 07:32 PM
Had the two knees at the same time bit. PIECE OF CAKE.
The P T is the trick. Stay with it.

detbuch
02-23-2012, 07:42 PM
My mom had her right hip and later her right knee replaced when she was over 90. She started the PT in the hospital after within a couple of days if I remember correctly. You're right about the hip replacement being easier to recover from than the knee. I concur with the others here who said that the PT is essential to a quicker recovery. Don't overdue it, but don't slack off. All should go well. I've heard that hip replacement is one of the least dangerous surgeries.

justplugit
02-23-2012, 07:43 PM
My wife had her's done last year and it was an easy procedure.
Took about an hour and the trooper she is never complained once.
The key is the physical therapy follow up.
She does everything now that she did before without pain.
You will do great!

Sea Dangles
02-23-2012, 10:02 PM
Had it done the week after the boat came out,Nov.29th. Two uncomfortable weeks and steady healing since. Crutches were gone in 3 or 4 weeks. Depending on where you fish I would say six weeks would be a good time to start casting. I have been playing disc golf almost daily for about six weeks now. Feel really good.

Slingah
02-23-2012, 10:03 PM
My wife had it done in September. Last month we hiked 3 hours up this dormant volcano(the smaller one) and then down to the lake in the crater....very difficult terrain. She said it was easy.
4 months and I am amazed at how quick she recovered, also with the overall outcome and elimination of all pre-op pain.

Raven
02-24-2012, 06:07 AM
it depends on how hard ya work at it

best of Luck ...full steam ahead..

Sea Dangles
02-24-2012, 06:14 AM
Do yourself a favor and go to New England Baptist for the procedure. I used Dr. Carl Talmo and he was great.Good Luck.

OLD GOAT
02-24-2012, 06:53 AM
Dr. Manning at Hyannis for me. I think he's tops

mekcotuit
02-24-2012, 01:23 PM
Thanks all for the advice and well wishes! I am looking forward to being pain free. Am having it done at the Brigham - having worked in ortho at a couple of the better hospitals in boston I got the inside scoop! :uhuh:

Saltheart
02-24-2012, 08:25 PM
I had mine done at Miriam Hospital in RI since that is my Blue Cross Primary Care Doctors Zone (or some Bullschlitz like that). Given my choice I'd have been done at Brighams. On the other hand , the people at University Orthopedics (Brown U) in RI were excellent.

I never had crutches. Total Hip Replacement. Within hours of the operation they had me standing. In a week I was walking the room and hallway with a walker. 2nd week I was walking myself down the hallway , onto an elevator and down to the rehab room with a walker. 3rd week I was walking with a cane and then I was off to the races. :)

Believe it or not , there were a couple of younger people who graduated from the walker to the cane in even less time than me.

striperman36
02-24-2012, 09:38 PM
Same with my partial knee replacement , but it took about six months to get full range of motion
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device

nightfighter
02-24-2012, 09:56 PM
My ex got hers done at NE Baptist. Could not believe how fast she was back on her feet.

Sea Dangles
02-24-2012, 10:44 PM
I walked the hallway the day after the surgery.Stairs two days after,then dicharge to go home. Two nights for a total hip went fast. Make sure you have been steady on metamucil or something similar prior to surgery. Meds f up the system in a bad way.

ProfessorM
02-25-2012, 08:43 AM
Being you are so full of it you must have been in agony. Couldn't resist.
My mom in law has had both hips and both knees done in last few years. She come thru all of them great. Knees are a lot tougher she says
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device

Saltheart
02-25-2012, 09:46 AM
Make sure you have been steady on metamucil or something similar prior to surgery. Meds f up the system in a bad way.

Oh yeah. No Go :) Probably the worst part of the whole thing. No Go.