View Full Version : What brand of copper?

ivanputski
02-25-2012, 11:11 PM
Other than airbrush, have any of you used copper paint on plugs? I have used bright copper spray paint on needles, and they look great for a week or two, but the metallic flake seems to oxidize, resulting in a very dull brown...

* Well.. ok... What about airbrush paint... createx?

angler229
02-26-2012, 12:25 AM
I've had good luck with createx pearl copper.

chefchris401
02-26-2012, 12:44 AM
I use copper krylon spray paint.

I use a yellow base coat, really makes the color pop!

Then epoxy as usual.

I love copper plugs.

And even if you get some hook rash/fish mojo it's yellow underneath which is a killer color too.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device

chefchris401
02-26-2012, 12:44 AM
I have a couple plugs I'll try and post pics of on Sunday

ivanputski
02-26-2012, 01:35 AM
I have really come to love copper over the last 2 years... I am actually repainting multiple plugs copper... Especially needles

chefchris401
02-27-2012, 09:16 AM
Actually checked out my spray area, it's Val spar metallic copper. Lowes carries there paints now.

pbadad
02-27-2012, 06:45 PM
Pete copper is a great color. The paint alone won't stay on w/o a clear finish like clear epoxy. U want some coating let me know. I can bring some to the meeting. U still want that blurple jointed swimmer?

iamskippy
02-27-2012, 11:02 PM
On the plug i made for chef that is copper valspar rattle cans, and shinny

GattaFish
02-28-2012, 09:48 AM
Years ago when Habs made the copper needles most guys just hung them and never tossed them.... well I learned quickly how that color under certain conditions was a great color..... I also made some needles with it and have done very well with them as well..... If your on Cutty or the Vineyard I would DEF. have one in your bag....

rigged with black dressed siwash.

ivanputski
03-03-2012, 01:01 AM
Billy... I have envirotex lite that I usually use when I repaint plugs. I'm going to try your tip from the csa suds newsletter prior to application.

I have used some ultra-shiny/bright copper spray paint in the past on red fins, but the copper oxidized and got very dull overtime. I m going to test spray some old plugs with different brands, and leave out in the sun for a week or so and see what happens. Funny thing is I was digging through old issues of the fisherman tonight (2008?) and I found an article about DZ mentioning the 9" gag's copper needle and how well he did with it (but still got smoked by Stetzko). I havent figured out what conditions/factors are best yet for using copper, but it is a confidence color for me either way, so i guess that's what matters most.