View Full Version : 29lb Bass caught off Chatham yesterday

BigBo
02-26-2012, 06:16 PM
29-Pound Striper Landed on Cape Cod | BoatingLocal.com (http://boatinglocal.com/fishing/29-pound-striper-landed-on-cape-cod.html)

BigFish
02-26-2012, 06:32 PM
RoyL boated a holdover today looked about....16-18 pounds??? Nice fish for Feb. 26th!

BigFish
02-26-2012, 06:33 PM
Canal will be lined with fishermen come sunrise!
:jump1:

Moses
02-26-2012, 09:22 PM
29-Pound Striper Landed on Cape Cod | BoatingLocal.com (http://boatinglocal.com/fishing/29-pound-striper-landed-on-cape-cod.html)

Inside Chatham, not off

BigBo
02-26-2012, 09:41 PM
Inside Chatham, not off
Probably. PB

WESTPORTMAFIA
02-26-2012, 09:53 PM
Didn't think anyone fished eels at night for holdovers. Seems a little extreme to me. I'll wait till spring
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device

piemma
02-27-2012, 03:26 AM
Canal will be lined with fishermen come sunrise!
:jump1:

I was just thinking the same thing.

fishbones
02-27-2012, 09:15 AM
Didn't think anyone fished eels at night for holdovers. Seems a little extreme to me. I'll wait till spring

I wouldn't even know where to get live eels this time of year.

Cohenfishin
02-27-2012, 09:16 AM

I have to agree Jay....

Clammer
02-27-2012, 09:18 AM
FYI

There have been 3 young guys fishing eels upriver the last 4 -5 winters ..The 1st night they showed up we kind of snickered .

He who laughs last /laughs best ............ It wasn,t us .

I was there one night .were they litterly smoked my ass & sent me home .

That was then ...only thing I,ve heard about this year is from someone that met them & they had beed skunked for the season .

My largest holdover is approx 18# a few years ago .vertical jigging a metal

JohnnySaxatilis
02-27-2012, 09:32 AM
this guy has been parading holdies all winter around here. literally going into tackle shops and telling anyone that will listen :fury: Nickname "Gabby". first of all if you get one, good for you, take a picture, maybe confide in your close friends. but purposely making it public is a no no. correct my if im wrong here ppl. Second don't kill them!!! wtf other ppl wanna catch stripers too. Third holdie spots are amongst the most well guarded secrets in fishing especially around here on the cape. obviously noone had the "circle of trust" talk with gabby when they showed him their holdie spot last winter.

BTW ive gotten a couple random "Hey whatsup with those holdie spots you know any?" messages from aquantances lately. F off dude im not tellin you jack. THANKS ALOT GABBY

Typhoon
02-27-2012, 10:15 AM
LOL at closely guarded holdover spots. come on. Nothing is secret anymore.

The masses are not running out to fish for stripers in February.

tysdad115
02-27-2012, 10:38 AM

BTW ive gotten a couple random "Hey whatsup with those holdie spots you know any?" messages from aquantances lately. F off dude im not tellin you jack. THANKS ALOT GABBY

Precisely why I implanted a GPS on your car..:fishin:

BigBo
02-27-2012, 11:03 AM

I agree. I think everyone knows spots that will hold fish year round. If someone puts in the time standing in 20+ degree weather to catch one, gab all you want. There was a time when I would and did. Now as I get older, meh.

rizzo
02-27-2012, 11:14 AM
There have been some 40#+fish taken in february in some of the holdover places. Its a miserable long shot, but its a possibility.

Swimmer
02-27-2012, 11:19 AM
I wouldn't even know where to get live eels this time of year.

Fresh water river down the street

piemma
02-27-2012, 11:22 AM
My good friend Tony Paliotti took a 38# Bass on March 2nd a few year ago in Salt Pond. Not a spot burn if you know Salt Pond. Goes from Galilee to So. Kingstown and must have 100 miles of shore line.

Tommy McGuire and I had Bass up to 20# a few years ago a couple of days after Christmas in So Co. Froze our nuts off

fishbones
02-27-2012, 11:35 AM
Fresh water river down the street

That's too much work for me.

Typhoon
02-27-2012, 02:07 PM
The days of cell phones have ruined secret spots forever.

I surf as well, you get up early head to your "secret spot". Get a few waves by yourself. Someone spots you and instantly you have 10 of your best friends.

JohnnySaxatilis
02-27-2012, 02:25 PM

Well they sure as hell are now lol!

And of course they're guarded. Typhoon do you know exact locations on the cape for holdies in chatham? And if you do, would you like to divulge your spots right here and now on the internet? Didnt think so

its probably the LAST thing that hasnt gotten blown up on the net. well before gabby that is...

basswipe
02-27-2012, 02:28 PM
The days of cell phones have ruined secret spots forever.

I surf as well, you get up early head to your "secret spot". Get a few waves by yourself. Someone spots you and instantly you have 10 of your best friends.

The internet ruined secret spots to yourself days many years ago...the cell phone ruined the epic blitz to yourself days.

jimmy z
02-27-2012, 04:02 PM
I know a place near me in Ct. that has been yielding bigger than usual bass. It's not even Spring yet. But the bass have been hitting swimmers like it was late April, early May.

chathamblue30
02-27-2012, 06:30 PM
Bo we know it was you landing that fish in your new boat !

BigBo
02-27-2012, 06:47 PM
Bo we know it was you landing that fish in your new boat !
I wish Mark. :rotf2:

RoyL
02-27-2012, 08:43 PM
Haha! I herd my name??? What's up everyone! Been to busy to get on line. Between work and fishing. Just thought I'd pop in and say hello!!!!

Typhoon
02-28-2012, 06:08 AM
Well they sure as hell are now lol!

And of course they're guarded. Typhoon do you know exact locations on the cape for holdies in chatham? And if you do, would you like to divulge your spots right here and now on the internet? Didnt think so

its probably the LAST thing that hasnt gotten blown up on the net. well before gabby that is...

My friend is a clam long-raker in chatham. One phone call and I know all of your spots. He fishes your secret spots for a living.

Got Stripers
02-28-2012, 10:58 AM
Doesn't surprise me, if we had a winter like this about 8 years back, I'd have been slamming some nice keepers in my favorite holdover spot, doubt there is much action there with the stocks like there are. My largest holder was 42lbs, came out of the Thames, so no secret there; decent fight on 10lb line and a 6 foot freshwater bass outfit. I miss the holdover fishing, but with all my golf courses open all winter, I couldn't give a crap; much rather play golf. Funny how priorities change as we get older, ten years ago I'd much rather fish.

Clammer
02-28-2012, 12:37 PM
yEAH bOB <<<

GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO hit a little white ball & then go f ckin chasin it .........

That,s a great priorty change :wall:

piemma
02-28-2012, 12:44 PM
yEAH bOB <<<

GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO hit a little white ball & then go f ckin chasin it .........

Got to question whether that's as foolish as chasing schoolies that don't exist anymore.:fury:

JohnnySaxatilis
02-28-2012, 01:29 PM
My friend is a clam long-raker in chatham. One phone call and I know all of your spots. He fishes your secret spots for a living.

wow cool, but you just made my point you don't know any right now becuase ppl dont go around advertising about it, and do interviews for articles when they catch a holdie. get it lol? Thats all im tryin to say. not trying to pick a fight btw

Got Stripers
02-28-2012, 03:20 PM
yEAH bOB <<<

Sure as hell is, after back surgery, I'll take all the exercise I can get. Between 4 hours of walking a golf course once a week and 3 nights in the gym I've gone from 205 back down to my fighting weight of 185; I'm in better shape than I was 20 years ago:). If it was a snowy winter without golf, I'd have been skiing for the exercise. I know its not as intense as lifting jelly donuts:) or those rods so sadly in need of maintenance, but its working for me.