View Full Version : weather and fishing?

jugstah
05-16-2003, 07:10 AM
how does it look for this weekend? wind and rain-wise? im hoping the weather cooperates enough that we all can do some fishing!!!

The weather report says:

Today
May 16 Cloudy 54°/42° 0 %
Sat
May 17 Cloudy 54°/44° 20 %
Sun
May 18 Partly Cloudy 61°/45° 20 %

but the real story is the wind.. is anyone fishing in falmouth yet? or on a boat yet? getting on striped-bass.com from a laptop in their boat over a cell? :p

JohnR
05-16-2003, 08:13 AM
There will be fish, especially if you have buckeyes :D

Rip Runner
05-16-2003, 08:24 AM
Jugstah,

There's good fish out of Falmouth by boat now. The 20#+ fish have moved in.

jugstah
05-16-2003, 08:31 AM
yeah.. the other day, me and my brother both caught a pair of 30inchers.... how's the wind and the waves down there, anyone know?

DRUMCORPFAN
05-16-2003, 09:29 AM
the fish dont care if its windy or rain, get out and fish.

MountainBreeze
05-16-2003, 09:47 AM
I am sure this is due to the fact that I am new and have NO FRIGGIN' IDEA WHAT I'M DOING ... :smash:

But, I NEVER catch fish when it's windy and/or raining! :(

And... it is even worse for me the day or two after a rain storm! :eek:

Why is that??? :confused:

I know, refer back to my first line! ;)

jugstah
05-16-2003, 10:21 AM
i usually dont botrher fishing on a windy day when doing fishing from the surf because its hard to get ur tackle out that far... and fish seems dead on windy days usually when surf... but on a boat, its a lot better...

Strippedgear
05-16-2003, 10:36 AM
Jugstah,

Like the man says, get out and fish, the fish do not care about the weather. Sometimes you will have your best fishing days on the days with the lousiest weather. Just make sure that you dress for the weather, think about keeping yourself warm and dry. This will keep you at the water and fishing hard so the weather won't discourage you. Also remember that winds on shore also drive the bait in closer that our quarry feed on so that you don't have to cast long distances in order to catch one.

I think that the best advice I can give is, JUST DO IT, the more time that you spend at anything the more proficient you will become.

Good luck and tight lines to you.:) :) :)

DRUMCORPFAN
05-16-2003, 10:48 AM
old timers would rig up a teaser with a 3oz bank sinker just for those windy day's. fish still took the teaser.:D

NilsC
05-16-2003, 11:58 AM
Not sure if it was beginners luck last year. I loved it every night when the wind picked up and the surf was 4 - 6' feet. The water turned to foam and bubbles that could be 30 - 40 yards wide along the shore. I walked until I found a an area that looked like it was a little calmer (deeper) and was fishing the edge of the foam and the deeper area.

I got my largest fish last year in condition like that, with pouring rain, high winds and lots of surf.

If I had no luck with the plug I drifted eels, did not have to get them out a mile. All the hits I got was right at the edge of the foam or in the foam itself.

Nils

FishermanTim
05-16-2003, 02:14 PM
Yeah, I used to think that you had to cast as far as possible in order to catch anything. Then I realized (also by trial & error) that in the surf, deeper/farther doesn't mean bigger/better. I did some additional research, and by scouting out an area before the first cast, you can pick the most likely places. As most instructional brochures will attest, stripers like STRUCTURE.
That means jetties, bridges, points, submerges boulders etc.
I thought that it was just "a fish story" until I put the info to use, and it does help to "read the water" regardless of where you're fishing from.
I hope this helps.
Good luck, and tight lines!

jugstah
05-16-2003, 02:31 PM
Strippedgear... thanks.. i have gone out in some pretty bad weather before... i've had some good luck on those days but what's annoying is how quickly the bait drifts when water's churning..... notice often that seaweed clings to the line like clumps of 'em... its those damn trawlers digging up the seabed for squid or some...

:af: :af: :af:

i remember getting my biggest fish 2 years ago in onset in dense fog and a steady drizzle and it was like 40 something degrees and you couldn't see anything in front of you for like 4ft.. it was whack...

anyway just wanted to know how it looked..

RickBomba
05-16-2003, 07:59 PM
OK Daddy,
Here's how my friend Bill Dance put it:
Wind blows West: Fish bite best.
Wind blows South: Blows the bait in the fishes mouth.
Wind blows North: Don't venture forth.
Wind blows East: Fish bite least.

Ok as we know , many NE spots favor a NW wind or an East wind (although I've never seen one) but I think that these stupid lines relate to the fishes response to change in barometric pressure.
I ilke fishing right before a cold front comes through.
I own a restaurant ...I'm no weatherman or marine biologist though.
I like Bill because he's always getting into trouble with site gags.
Later Dude,
Rickman