View Full Version : Rigging Uncle Josh Bad Boy

jaymbone
02-29-2012, 01:49 PM
Does anyone know how to properly rig an uncle josh bad boy (JR or regular)? I have been looking around but can not find good step by step directions, except they are similar to rigging eels but without the dacron. Thanks for your help!!!

chefchris401
02-29-2012, 02:11 PM
Otw did a whole article on it, I have it in my archives, I can dig up in a few days for you
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device

Clogston29
02-29-2012, 02:16 PM
john skinner wrote the article if that helps you find it. it was a few years ago, when all the eel ban talk was going on.

jaymbone
02-29-2012, 02:30 PM
Unfortunately I can not find the John Skinner article anywhere...but b/c of one of his books I am obsessing with making a few (correctly) for this years night fishing.

jaymbone
02-29-2012, 02:36 PM
Any help would be so much appreciated!

chefchris401
02-29-2012, 06:30 PM
I can scan it in and email to you on Friday

jaymbone
02-29-2012, 09:31 PM
That would be awesome!! I'll PM you my email.

DZ
03-01-2012, 10:26 AM
Jambone,
I have rigged them according to Skinners specs. Try and find them at a shop and ask if you can open the jars. They vary in thickness and some have a "permanent curl" to them. If they have a curl they will spin during retrieve which is NOT DESIRED. Try and select those that are completely straight and not to thick. Good luck.

DZ

BasicPatrick
03-01-2012, 10:49 AM
Jambone,
I have rigged them according to Skinners specs. Try and find them at a shop and ask if you can open the jars. They vary in thickness and some have a "permanent curl" to them. If they have a curl they will spin during retrieve which is NOT DESIRED. Try and select those that are completely straight and not to thick. Good luck.

DZ

I have never used them but have heard form many friends down south that rig them behind mojo rigs to beware of exactly what DZ refers to...sounds like sun on the jar or age can stat to dry them out even if in the solution they are packed in.

rockdoc
04-28-2015, 11:05 AM
resurrecting an old thread here to ask if anyone has found a good substitute for the Bad Boys since they are apparently no longer available..

Steve T

DZ
04-28-2015, 01:21 PM
Steve,
Years ago I spoke with the late Al Bentsen about using different materials for rigging pseudo "eels". He mentioned going to his local butcher and getting his own pork rind which came in sheets not strips. He would then make a template and cut enough of the rind to make a tube worm which he would sew together with some dacron then attach it to a an eel squid. He sent me the drawings and measurements but I have no idea what happend to them. I also knew another "New Yawka" named Michael Angelo who used the same concept and made his pseudo eels using shark skin which he marketed as the "Gizmo" - he sold them in jars packed with salt brine. I used the Gizmos with success - shark skin is tough.

rockdoc
04-28-2015, 03:25 PM
So DZ you haven't tried Al Bentsen's pork rind method yet? Now I'm trying to imagine what you're saying. Did he sew the flat rind into a long hollow tube?

Steve

Captain Jason Colby
04-28-2015, 03:29 PM
So DZ you haven't tried Al Bentsen's pork rind method yet? Now I'm trying to imagine what you're saying. Did he sew the flat rind into a long hollow tube?

Steve

Yes, he sewed a hollow tube about 18 inches. It caught but not as good as a real eel.........JC

DZ
04-28-2015, 04:27 PM
Yes, he sewed a hollow tube about 18 inches. It caught but not as good as a real eel.........JC

Yep - what Jason said ^ I never did try his method but knowing Bentsen it had a place. He was a fascinating man to meet and talk with. We we're like kids in a candy store exchanging our methods of fishing.

Linesider82
04-28-2015, 05:59 PM
We we're like kids in a candy store exchanging our methods of fishing.

Can't beat that. It's like finding Sasquatch.

cow tamer
04-29-2015, 11:57 AM
resurrecting an old thread here to ask if anyone has found a good substitute for the Bad Boys since they are apparently no longer available..

Steve T

Uncle Josh site now has a 9 in. "Meat EEL". Looks like it's worth trying as a substitute.