View Full Version : Old vs New VS

Krispy
05-16-2003, 01:40 PM
What are the differences between the old and newer model Van Staals?
Is it worth the $200 difference between a used older VS and the new version?
I will be upgrading some reels before the fall and decided to go this route

Krispy

fishweewee
05-16-2003, 01:52 PM
Biggest obvious difference when you pick them up is the spool counterweight, which is now on the outside.

I rather liked the old interior counterweight design - as the new ones will tend to catch line especially if you are using braid. Small thing, though.

I bought a used VS 200 at River's End and sent it in to VS for annual service and upgrade (a few parts here and there). Coming back from the factory, it definitely felt "tighter" than when I sent it in. And I used it for the first time last weekend and it held up under some pretty punishing situations (dunk, sand, bang on rocks, fish after fish after fish).

Now, you might be thinking, I could get a used VS and have it upgraded and save some $$$ vs. getting a new one. Problem is, you don't know which parts have to be upgraded, so you could theoretically end up spending more on the retrofit than a new reel. Tough call.

I keep blabbing about these reel, but that's b/c I luv 'em. :D

Krispy - check yer pm's.

-Ben

Mike P
05-16-2003, 07:12 PM
Some other differences--the old VS have a stainless steel main shaft, the new ones are titanium. BFD, in my opinion :rollem:

The new VS have a sealed drag of some sort of graphite composite material. The old ones have a Penn-style drag with sucky washers made out of a material called Rulon. The good news is, you can get two HT-100 and one Teflon Penn washers of the 704-size and have a great drag without spending another deuce for the new reel.

As a result of the different shaft and drag, spools from the same size "old" VS reels won't fit on the new, and vice-versa :(

RickBomba
05-16-2003, 08:05 PM
Mike,
You got any of them bad boys...
If so, can you talk to my wife about why Ricky needs one so bad.
Your Pal,
Rick
PS - I was about this close to being the second Leper Lawyer...I blew out my knee in my bid for pro ski racing status and didn't have the money to go to school.