View Full Version : surf belt

PaulS
03-03-2012, 11:07 AM
I need to replace my old belt. Any one have any suggestions of a good adjustable belt? I had one last year that was one size fits all but the velcro almost went around me twice.

Thanks

ivanputski
03-03-2012, 11:24 AM
http://images1.opticsplanet.com/750-500-ffffff/opplanet-uncle-mikes-nylon-ultra-belt-87761.jpg

uncle mikes tactical belt... rigid, double release buckle so it never pops open. quality belt for about 16$

Bob Thomas
03-03-2012, 11:48 AM
Same type of belt as Ivan but only 1 release. Rigid enough to hold everything up and in place.

piemma
03-03-2012, 12:16 PM
What I have always used.

A heavy duty quick release wader belt 2" wide heavy nylon strap with cam action unbreakable, rustproof buckle. Belt comes long (fits up to 54") and can be cut to size. (After cutting, heat cut edge to form seal.)

Also features a loop to hold the end of the belt from coming and opening buckle.
Add a single or double ring belt loop, plier sheath, or boga holster to hold your tools securely while you fish.

wader-dad
03-03-2012, 12:38 PM
Google "Ultimate Surf Belt" Its a little pricey at $39.99 but it is adjustable and if it opens the velcro keeps it closed. Hard to explain. Steve's website explains it.

Highly recommended by the Long Island types for wetsuiters like you.

Plus you get to look like a super hero with a power buckle.

cow tamer
03-03-2012, 12:55 PM
Just gotta make sure you can slip things over the belt ends. I had trouble with getting a D ring attachment on a surf belt recently. Better off with one belt end free of any buckle.

RIROCKHOUND
03-03-2012, 01:28 PM
What I have always used.

A heavy duty quick release wader belt 2" wide heavy nylon strap with cam action unbreakable, rustproof buckle. Belt comes long (fits up to 54") and can be cut to size. (After cutting, heat cut edge to form seal.)

Also features a loop to hold the end of the belt from coming and opening buckle.
Add a single or double ring belt loop, plier sheath, or boga holster to hold your tools securely while you fish.

Thats what I use. thin cable tie looped around the buckle keeps it shut, but comes off w/ a yank in an emergency.

stinkyink
03-03-2012, 02:40 PM
Aquaskinz makes a nice belt. Very durable and easily adjusted with velcro on both sides of the buckle. Inexpensive too.

agsurfr
03-03-2012, 04:48 PM
Paul,

I used an AS for a while but found adjustments to be a hassle--that is going from wader size to wet suit size to wet suit w/AS top etc. I settled on a dive bely by Trident w/stainless buckle. Super easy to adjust and cinch down tight--$15 on the worlds most popular auction site.

Be happy to bring to the next meeting if you'd like to see it.

aram

1dozenraw
03-03-2012, 08:45 PM
$4.95 at Home depot a couple of years ago I bought 3... still on the first one. I also have the heavy duty "police" style belt. Great belt, well made... but too stiff and heavy for me. Probably should sell it.

chefchris401
03-03-2012, 09:18 PM
I use an as elite serious, 3 years no issues.

Might grab one from Tom at commando once te season gets closer
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device

Liv2Fish
03-03-2012, 09:28 PM
Anything that is heavy enough to drown you should be easily ditched with one hand. Check out the dive gear websites for buckles and avoid anything that takes more than one quick action to ditch.

I learned how important this is when I rolled off the boat with 38lbs of lead, an 8lb steel back plate and a steel 100cf tank strapped to me with the valve still off. No air to breath and none to inflate my rig. I was lucky enough to be able to grab the deco bar at 15' and ditch my entire rig with one hand. There's no doubt that I wouldn't be here today if I had to even think twice about how to get out of my rig.

There was no reason for letting this happen. I have been diving all my life and there was almost 100 years experience between the group of divers that I was with. But still, it happened. I guess what I'm getting at is that you can't expect things to not happen. You need to make sure you are ready to react if they do.

Sure, much more weight then a surf belt but all it takes in one inhale of water and you could be done.

Take it for what it's worth. Just sharing....

Stewie
03-04-2012, 10:59 AM
Be careful with the cam airplane type seat buckles. It's easy to catch the flippy part with your plugbag, elbow, or anything else, and release it and drop it.. It's not easy to find your belt, pliers gripper et.c. when it falls off somewhere in a bubble weed choked boulder field.

Thanks to Chuckie, I got my Manley's and my cousin's dive belt back after it fell off.

HESH2
03-04-2012, 11:05 AM
get the belt from the surfcaster he makes them in his warehouse shop.only $10.95.

wader-dad
03-04-2012, 11:21 AM
I am going to look into the Commando Surf Belt Tom sells. Anyone have a picture?

piemma
03-04-2012, 12:42 PM
Be careful with the cam airplane type seat buckles. It's easy to catch the flippy part with your plugbag, elbow, or anything else, and release it and drop it.. It's not easy to find your belt, pliers gripper et.c. when it falls off somewhere in a bubble weed choked boulder field.

Thanks to Chuckie, I got my Manley's and my cousin's dive belt back after it fell off.

Stewie, as Bryan said you use a cable tie to make sure it doesn't open accidentally.

tysdad115
03-07-2012, 12:27 PM
Commando Surfcasting, now a sponsor here, has a limited amount on his site now. Im sure its top notch ,like the rest of his stuff is. Heres a pic, Tom always answers questions quickly.

zimmy
03-07-2012, 01:21 PM
http://images1.opticsplanet.com/750-500-ffffff/opplanet-uncle-mikes-nylon-ultra-belt-87761.jpg

uncle mikes tactical belt... rigid, double release buckle so it never pops open. quality belt for about 16$

:uhuh:

MAKAI
03-07-2012, 02:00 PM
Dive belt. No problems.

PaulS
03-08-2012, 01:11 PM
Commando Surfcasting, now a sponsor here, has a limited amount on his site now. Im sure its top notch ,like the rest of his stuff is. Heres a pic, Tom always answers questions quickly.

Gonna get a commando. Everything else he sells is allways top notch.

Thanks for all the suggestions.

machinist
03-10-2012, 03:25 PM

piemma
03-11-2012, 05:03 AM

Good post:rotf2::rotf2::rotf2::rotf2::rotf2::rotf2: