View Full Version : Need help

surfflyfish
03-07-2012, 11:02 AM
Hey guys
i really need help.my airbrushing skills need to get better but i'm facing an issue right now.fish eye on the paints.don't know what tha hell is causing it.this doesn't happend when using opaque colors only with auto and pearl,to the point is driving me nutz.
even if i thin the paint,still shows thru,i cleaned the airbrush gun tons of times and still.:devil2:
is very exhausting and time consuming.any advice in how to fix the problem?
thank you,
Dave

The Dad Fisherman
03-07-2012, 11:09 AM
Looks to me like to heavy of a coat...usually with the transparents you have to use really light coats and build them up.

what are you spraying onto for a base coat?

surfflyfish
03-07-2012, 11:20 AM
i usually pre-paint the plug with opaque white to build a base coat,what spray primer would be better to bond the paint?i'm currently using zinsser.
Thank you for your advice.

ProfessorM
03-07-2012, 12:12 PM
I like XIM. Google it. Good stuff primer400
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device

surfflyfish
03-07-2012, 02:08 PM
I like XIM. Google it. Good stuff primer400

homies might have it on spray,i think i've seen it. water based?

surfflyfish
03-07-2012, 02:12 PM
hey Prof Kilz 400primer? i saw the XIM400 but where can i get it.anything i can get at hommiesdepot?

GattaFish
03-07-2012, 02:20 PM
I know you may disagree but I still think there is something stuck on the needle deep in the airbrush,,, or the vent on the bottle of paint may have a thin film covering part of the whole,,,, I had that issue a long time ago and eventually found a little dried paint deep inside my airbrush which gave me an uneven airflow and spatters but without the boogers,,,,

surfflyfish
03-07-2012, 02:35 PM
I know you may disagree but I still think there is something stuck on the needle deep in the airbrush,,, or the vent on the bottle of paint may have a thin film covering part of the whole,,,, I had that issue a long time ago and eventually found a little dried paint deep inside my airbrush which gave me an uneven airflow and spatters but without the boogers,,,,

i don't know how else to clean the darn thing.what home remedy can i use to take it apart leave it in for a few hours without damaging the finish or parts?

GattaFish
03-07-2012, 02:43 PM
Did you take it completely apart or just spray cleaner through it..

I think I ended up taking it completely apart and wiping the needle with restorer..... And running restorer through it... The regular cleaner did not take,the dried stuff out of the brush.....

The Dad Fisherman
03-07-2012, 03:17 PM
sometimes the little"Cone" get stretched out and needs to be replaced. I have had that happen with mine once.

metallip
03-07-2012, 03:32 PM
your primer and paint wont work with each other its not your air brush hope i was some help

surfflyfish
03-07-2012, 03:49 PM
your primer and paint wont work with each other its not your air brush hope i was some help

i would like to change the primer,i'm using Zinsser right now,is Kilz Primer better?
maybe i need to change it.advice on that.
to the reply above , i haven't take it completely apert like piece by piece until everything is on the table,i will do that tomorrow morning.
what should i clean it with.i have the materials to make the mix of Glycerin,windex amonia free, water,alcohol hope thats strong enough to leave it in for an hour and soft the junk inside if any.

surfflyfish
03-07-2012, 03:54 PM
Did you take it completely apart or just spray cleaner through it..

I think I ended up taking it completely apart and wiping the needle with restorer..... And running restorer through it... The regular cleaner did not take,the dried stuff out of the brush.....

just the needle/nose section.went to harbor freight and bought tiny airbrush cleaner,good thought there.scrub it down with the cleaner.

ProfessorM
03-07-2012, 04:42 PM
Sherwin Williams carries it. but I order on line most times

Sgt Striper
03-07-2012, 04:44 PM
Hey guys
i really need help.my airbrushing skills need to get better but i'm facing an issue right now.fish eye on the paints.don't know what tha hell is causing it.this doesn't happend when using opaque colors only with auto and pearl,to the point is driving me nutz.
even if i thin the paint,still shows thru,i cleaned the airbrush gun tons of times and still.:devil2:
is very exhausting and time consuming.any advice in how to fix the problem?
thank you,
Dave

Your problem appears to be with the paint, and/or the application of it. Are you thinning your paint and if so with what? How much pressure are you using to spray? If this was a true fish eye problem it would be with all your paints not just the ones you stated.
My guess is your paint is thinned too much and not properly mixed, maybe too much pressure, creating a separation of the pigments:confused:

GattaFish
03-07-2012, 05:04 PM
Your in CT if I remember correctly,, right,,,??? Are you a CSA member..???

GooGoo Man
03-07-2012, 05:44 PM
Dave, are you using an oil compressor? if you do not have a filter maybe specs of oil are getting thru causing the fisheye, maybe the specs don't bother the opaques, I had the same problem & I made a double water/ oil separator & the problem went away.

surfflyfish
03-07-2012, 05:52 PM
Dave, are you using an oil compressor? if you do not have a filter maybe specs of oil are getting thru causing the fisheye, maybe the specs don't bother the opaques, I had the same problem & I made a double water/ oil separator & the problem went away.

no glen is iwata oiless comp.
i'll change th primer and give the airbrush a clean

Grapenuts
03-07-2012, 06:02 PM
this will happen when you put cleaner through the gun and then follow up with paint...some cleaner will remain and get sprayed out with the paint...when they both hit the lure and the cleaner will cause fisheye even if your gun is clean.Always blow air through your gun after cleaning for abit as the cleaner will hang on the inside of the gun.

thefishingfreak
03-07-2012, 06:37 PM
Fisheyes are from contaminates. something is contaminating the plug before your spraying it. Either your greasy chicken finger fingers, your wife spraying pledge-fabreeze in the other room, or like grapenuts said the cleaner your blowing thru the gun.

Slipknot
03-07-2012, 08:44 PM
contamination or incompatibility
like fishingfreak and metallip said

I say first, DON'T use zinsser

then take the airbrush apart and make sure it's clean

then do lighter coats of auto colors and pearls

that is frustrating getting fisheyes

Do you heatset that auotair paint?

Good to see metallip posting :wave:

nightfighter
03-07-2012, 08:47 PM
rattle cans....:devil2:

pbadad
03-07-2012, 11:01 PM
surffishfly nice meeting you tonight @ CSA meeting. Now that I see your issue and experienced this also I have to say paint too thin and/or high air pressure. My Flouresent green did a similar efffect. Reading the replies I say the brush had more air than need. 20 lbs was worst than 15lbs. It was uncut createx flo green. I have to also take the gun apart and ck like Tom mentioned. soak metal parts in lacquer thinners then clean. I'll let you know.

surfflyfish
03-07-2012, 11:22 PM
surffishfly nice meeting you tonight @ CSA meeting. Now that I see your issue and experienced this also I have to say paint too thin and/or high air pressure. My Flouresent green did a similar efffect. Reading the replies I say the brush had more air than need. 20 lbs was worst than 15lbs. It was uncut createx flo green. I have to also take the gun apart and ck like Tom mentioned. soak metal parts in lacquer thinners then clean. I'll let you know.

ididn't want to leave the place PB,was just right on and every one accepted me with a great welcome.thank you.

surfflyfish
03-07-2012, 11:24 PM
contamination or incompatibility
like fishingfreak and metallip said

I say first, DON'T use zinsser

then take the airbrush apart and make sure it's clean

then do lighter coats of auto colors and pearls

that is frustrating getting fisheyes

Do you heatset that auotair paint?

Good to see metallip posting :wave:

then what primer should i substitute my current primer with.which one Kilz WB?
why heat setting it.i made this homemade shaker and it mixes the paint quite well and i usually thin it down with the createx reducer:fury:

surfflyfish
03-07-2012, 11:28 PM
Your in CT if I remember correctly,, right,,,??? Are you a CSA member..???

tonight i became the newest member:cheers: great meeting tonight and you folks are top notch.

pbadad
03-08-2012, 07:36 AM
HEAT SETTING HELP ADHESION OF ACRYLICS.I TO USE ZINSEER OIL BASE PRIMER. USED IT FOR YEARS W/O ISSUES. 2 COATS AND SCUFF. HIDES GRAIN & DARK STAINS NICELY. TRIED KRYLON, RUSTOLEUM, BINZ, EXTERIOR PRIMER ETC. I DONT USE WATERBASE OVER SEALED PLUGS. OILSEALER, OILPRIMER, THEN ACRYLICS. IT SEEMS TO BE AN ONGOING EXPERIMENT IN PLUG BUILDING.MOST OF THE TIMES ALL IS WELL THEN A MYSTERIOUS SPELL CASTS OVER YOUR CREATION!!

taJon
03-08-2012, 08:08 AM
if its any consolation, I like the look of the fish eye problem.......cool patterns.

Slipknot
03-08-2012, 10:08 AM
then what primer should i substitute my current primer with.which one Kilz WB?
why heat setting it.i made this homemade shaker and it mixes the paint quite well and i usually thin it down with the createx reducer:fury:

read about the createx auto-air paints on their site, they recommend you heatset that paint.
It has nothing to do with shaker or mixing
I have had that fisheye look to flogreen in the past also and it makes some sense that too much air could do that.
I didn't know zinsser was oil based.
the Krylon spray cans of primer used to be great for priming plugs until they changed the formula.
I don't know what to tell you. I tried a white lacquer primer I have for cabinets that you can put water based paints over it, so that may be what I will use now. seems to work well. That is why spray bomb primer may work well, it dries fast too.

O.D. Mike
03-08-2012, 10:59 AM
if its any consolation, I like the look of the fish eye problem.......cool patterns.

You know the fish don't care :uhuh:

surfflyfish
03-08-2012, 11:41 AM
Ok fellas here,thank you for all your responses.and to add to the replies even some of you might already said it:
I just talked to Createx here in CT,and the rep told me i'm using too much pressure and not letting the undercoat dry long enough.the moisture still trapped and when applying the other coat on top of the one that still not dry the moisture spots shows through the top coat. great point there,just when apply the first coat to give it good time to dry.
Question,my sealing is with epoxy/etex using zinsser oil based and been doing that for years and no problems,would water based primer could make the paint adhere better than oil based?
Dave

GooGoo Man
03-08-2012, 10:29 PM
If you have been doing that for years with no problems, why change?

Water based primers have never been better than oil based, as far as I am concerned.

GattaFish
03-08-2012, 10:33 PM
tonight i became the newest member:cheers: great meeting tonight and you folks are top notch.

I know we will be glad to have you,,,,

surfflyfish
03-09-2012, 12:35 AM
If you have been doing that for years with no problems, why change?

Water based primers have never been better than oil based, as far as I am concerned.

good advice glen, i'll just follow what Createx said,but what you mentioned is a huge part of it,so i'm doing both my friend.
thank you all for the replies and the many things to consider when something goes wrong top knowledge speaks here.
thank you,
Dave