View Full Version : boston harbor livelining

striperjackson
05-17-2003, 07:11 AM
I've always wanted to liveline herring and have tried to get them several different ways, with no sucsess, well limited sucsess. I built a bait-tank 2 years ago and have had a total 2 fish in it. can someone help me, I think I'm trying the right rigs. Its a matter of location. Should I be trying channels, Inside shallows, Flats, Rivermouths? Also, the incoming tide is best, right? Are thrownets worth a shot? or legal for that matter?

Any help is appreciated.:):confused:

Fly Rod
05-17-2003, 07:19 AM
Try using the SIBIKI rigs that you buy at your local bait & tackle shop. Look for birds working an area and drop your rig and jig.

It seems that the herring are more active in the evening. Harbors and coves and around the docks. The incoming tide isn't always best for herring. I like day break seems the bait are on the surface more then any other time That's just my opinion.

I've seen them use thrownets from the low end of bridges in Florida for mullet. Last time that i saw anybody use a throw net around here was 3-4years ago.

Smitty's Ice Cream
05-17-2003, 09:16 PM
I've had the most luck for herring on the outgoing tide at night. I don't jig them with sabiki rigs though...