View Full Version : Century or CTS ??

MAKAI
03-18-2012, 08:14 PM
I will be kicking the tires for a new 9 foot plugging stick to match up a vs 150 to. Any one know the subtle differences pro and con. Mostly throwing small needles to 2 1/2 oz super strikes. All my spinning stuff is custom RA's for a comparison. :confused:

FinS 32
03-18-2012, 08:38 PM
I will be kicking the tires for a new 9 foot plugging stick to match up a vs 150 to. Any one know the subtle differences pro and con. Mostly throwing small needles to 2 1/2 oz super strikes. All my spinning stuff is custom RA's for a comparison. :confused:

here's my experience with them, ive test asted both and even built a few cts flyrods. Both are awesome for casting, and are solid rods. I prefer the century shorter surf rods and theytend to cats little better. That said CTS has more options. I have seen a CTS snap clean in half during a demo though. makes me question the strength a bit, but maybe the new 1 piece ones are better.

tlapinski
03-19-2012, 07:36 AM
Don't rule out the St. Croix Legends. Century & CTS seem to be the "cool rods" to throw these days, but St. Croix has been around for a while and has established themselves already. I absolutely love my 11' legend and have a 9' 3/4-4 ounce blank on the way to pair with my VS100.

chefchris401
03-19-2012, 08:07 AM
Makai I have the 10ft century if you want to try it out.

Also I heard that big Dave is doing a century demo on April 21st, he'll have most the Rods to try out.

And yes the legends are sick and their customer service is great
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device

Mike P
03-19-2012, 08:10 AM
Century has been established in the UK for at least 40 years. They're not a new kid on the block. However, I like the 70/30 tip/butt split on the Legends more than the 50/50 split on the Century. With CTS you have one piece options (don't know about 9', though).

Not fond of the LC layout on the Legends, so you're better off getting the blank and having it built with a better layout, IMO.

Rappin Mikey
03-19-2012, 09:20 AM
CTS does have a 9' one piece. Had one in my hands, and it felt really nice and sturdy.

chefchris401
03-19-2012, 09:37 AM
The two century rods I have are 60/40 split, both are the stealth series

JohnnySaxatilis
03-19-2012, 09:40 AM
cts rods are supposed to be a lot lighter and thinner in comparison to the century and other rods, becuase of how they manufacture the blank, thinner= less wind resistance/lessweight, but still supposed to be as strong as other rods. Supposed to save the shoulder during the season. elderly gentlemen seem to especially like them cuz it takes less effort to cast. Thats the main diff i've gathered from articles and the one rod guy i talked to about em

MAKAI
03-19-2012, 09:54 AM
As far as the legends go, they are not IMO an upgrade over what I use now. Besides I broke one putting med pressure on a fish. A rod I borrowed no less to see how I liked it, OOPS !

John ? Do I detect a veiled old geezer remark in your reply:)

JohnnySaxatilis
03-19-2012, 10:02 AM
John ? Do I detect a veiled old geezer remark in your reply:)

just tellin truths old man :rotf2: seriously though especially the vapor trail which is parabolic, they're supposed to be really easy to cast limiting fatigue over long days/nights of casting. not just for the older crowd, I want one too. of course im sure someone will chime in im built like a stick lol

cow tamer
03-19-2012, 11:33 AM
I like the 70/30 tip/butt split on the Legends more than the 50/50 split on the Century. With CTS you have one piece options (don't know about 9', though)

The two century rods I have are 60/40 split, both are the stealth series

Someone please explain what is meant by the percentages.

Rappin Mikey
03-19-2012, 11:54 AM
On many two piece rods the butt is the same length as the tip (50/50). Some like the legend the tip is longer then the butt. (70/30). I own a Legend 10'5. I really like it. The only time that split is awkward is if you want to break down the rod with the lure still on it. Like if you are taking it off of your rack to throw in your car if you are getting a quick bite. It's a bit clumsy that way.

Saltheart
03-19-2012, 12:46 PM
I do know the Century stealth S1 is one awesome rod for that lure weight range. Its 10 feet but its exceptionally light. This would be a no brainer decision for me.

JohnnySaxatilis
03-19-2012, 02:43 PM
thar she blows makai. dunno if im violating rules? but 9' looks niceeee RH custom rods Inshore (http://www.rhcustomrods.com/surf/index.html)

numbskull
03-19-2012, 04:08 PM
Why get involved with two piece rods in a 9 foot stick if you don't have to?

MAKAI
03-19-2012, 04:31 PM
I agree George.
I like my women blonde.
My dogs golden.
My rods one piece.
I am what I am.
I like what I like.
:)

cow tamer
03-19-2012, 06:19 PM
Why get involved with two piece rods in a 9 foot stick if you don't have to?

I agree George.
I like my women blonde.
My dogs golden.
My rods one piece.
I am what I am.
I like what I like.
:)

3rd that.
Never saw a two piece golf club.
Probably a reason for that.

Saltheart
03-19-2012, 06:47 PM
Maybe because golf clubs are only 3 1/2 feet long? A 42 to 45 inch golf club fits in any car trunk.

Unless you are willing to get porked on shipping , about the only one piece rods over 8 feet you can get are the locally sold Lamis and Batsons.

I'll take a 2 piece Century over a one piece Lami all day long. I also think the 2 Piece CTS are fine peformers. Like the Centuries , I'd prefer a 2 piece CTS over a one piece Lami but I'm waiting to see if the CTS thin profile and thin wall structure proves to be durable.

Other than my XRA 1205 , All my rods are 2 piece now. The newer ferrels never represent a problem for me. I will admit I have had problems with older 2 piece Lamis where the ferrels tend to twist in use but the modern machined ferrels lock up tight and don't move if they are kept clean and put together properly.

Sea Dangles
03-19-2012, 07:12 PM
My fancy Japanese tuna rod is 2 pc done right.The joint is pretty much the seam in the foregrip, far away from where any flex will occur.This is a 2 pc rod at 7' and triple the cost of a factory lami. I am with Numby,until these new sticks come in 1 pc I will be staying with my GSB's. I had a new 1201 and 1326 done last year after trying the latest craze from century.

lazzyone
03-19-2012, 08:14 PM
I like the CTS s8 series. The butt of the rod is stiff and has very good power with a fast action tip. The rating for the rod I fish is 2 to 4oz but I can comfortably throw 1.5 to 5oz, that's a pretty wide rage to throw. The rod has serious fish fighting power. I don't have any experience fishing the century line but from handling and casting them they have a much slower action than the s8's and don't have the power the CTS has. If you like the action of say the lami line you may like century because it has a similar action without the weight and they are not nearly as whippy as lami.

Saltheart
03-19-2012, 09:12 PM
Because of the slower action people cannot feel the power in the Centuries as easily as they do in the fast action rods. The power is there , you just have to bend the rod more to get to that high power zone. Great combination of easy loading for casting but bulldozer power beyond a certain point in the bend.

numbskull
03-19-2012, 09:37 PM
If you like the action of say the lami line you may like century because it has a similar action without the weight

Urban myth.

I can't speak for every Century blank, but the 10' Stealth weighs the same as a GSB1201L (I don't know what the advertised weights are but checked both rods when built the same and they were very close). It is thinner, has less air resistance, and its weight is more in the butt so it feels tip lighter (all good), but it does not actually weigh significantly less. I think the CTS blanks might be lighter, but also supposedly more fragile.

GSB blanks are pretty light rods, particularly when their strength is figured in. The XRA and SSU models are usually heavier. The reality is that most guys are used to their old Lamis built with big heavy guides and think it is the blank that is a dog, when it really is the way it was wrapped. Took me a lot of tearing down, rewrapping, and expensive guides to figure this out. But I am happy I did.

stripermaineiac
03-19-2012, 09:59 PM
Makai, If your goin to the MSBA show this weekend stop by my booth. I'll have one of the Century slingshot 9ft 6 in there. Sweet rod. i beat the heck out of it an it is now my go to rod for loads up to 3 n 1/2 down to 3/4 oz.Ron

MAKAI
03-19-2012, 10:04 PM
Will see you there Saturday am. Thanks Ron.