View Full Version : Spring start up

bassballer
03-20-2012, 08:35 AM
This is my fist year getting the boat prepped for the season. I did the winterization myself. Was thinking it would be a good idea to have a evinrude dealer do my start up. what do you guys think, and whats your typcial game plan getting the boat ready for the season.

I was aiming for 2nd week of april but with this weather I want to get going asap.

thefishingfreak
03-20-2012, 10:03 AM
hook up a water hose and turn the key
Brummmmmm........

KB&J SIDEACTION
03-20-2012, 11:47 AM
Brummmmmm........

As long as the winterization was sucessfull

Moses
03-20-2012, 12:04 PM

Correct. I let professionals take care of all my yearly mnt & winterization needs. That way all I have to do is put the batteries back in, load safety gear and start her up!

Of course there is always a visual inspection of outside/inside boat and trailer inspection. I'm splashing this weekend.

Van
03-20-2012, 12:09 PM
Brummmmmm........

X2

If its ain't broke don't fix it....

bassballer
03-20-2012, 12:30 PM

exactly why im thinking of bringing to a professional

thefishingfreak
03-20-2012, 03:05 PM
I'll do it.
$199.95 :hee:
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device

Raider Ronnie
03-20-2012, 06:18 PM
I'll do it.
$199.95 :hee:
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device

Mike forgot to add besides the $199.95 price you and as many of your friends as possible will have to cast a vote for him as S-B angler of the year !

KB&J SIDEACTION
03-20-2012, 07:11 PM
Just got done washing mine prepping for paint. O yeah and it started up after cranking for about 2 seconds. Guess the Star Tron in the gas really does pay off

zacs
03-20-2012, 07:59 PM

what are your concerns? What did you do to winterize?

bassballer
03-20-2012, 09:24 PM
my concern is that at the end of last season it was running a bit on the loud side. It started to sputter a little around 2000rpms but nothing to alarming. I winterized per the manual, and now Im wondering if i should just have it checked out by a dealer to kick off the season.

zacs
03-20-2012, 09:40 PM
year make model?

piemma
03-21-2012, 06:10 AM
I always have Lakeside Marina in Webster MA winterize my boat. Jeff, the head mechanic will see little things that I wouldn't think of like changing the thermostat after the 2nd year.

Since I built the "boat house" last year I store inside so basically, I will power wash the bottom, paint, hook up a hose, start it and change the plugs after she runs and clears out the engine fog.
If I ever get home from this West Coast trip, I plan to splash on the morning of TFCTFN.

bassballer
03-21-2012, 08:15 AM
year make model?

2005 Evinrude Direct Injection (the pre-Etech)

MakoMike
03-21-2012, 09:36 AM

If it wasn't done right there is nothing a professional can do about it now. All they'll do is turn the key and deal with the aftermath.

Piscator
03-21-2012, 10:14 AM
I like turning the key letting it smoke out, shut it down, and then putting in the new spark plugs. Figure it's better to change the plugs after burning off all the fogging oil than putting new ones in before hand..............

Typhoon
03-21-2012, 11:06 AM
With a 20 yr old engine, I pay someone to do it.

Guy is a wizard. That way if he hears something not right, we get it diagnosed quick.

zacs
03-21-2012, 12:04 PM
how old are the plugs?
Turn her on, let her run at idle in the driveway with muffs for a while and come up to temp.
turn off, cool down, replace plugs (& filters if you haven't already.)
Take her for a test spin not too far from the ramp and see how she runs. give her a few nice wide open runs. If you are noticing performance issues at that point, bring her in.

assuming you changed gear oil in winter. if not, change now.
assuming your impeller & tstats are changed last year or this. if not, do it now.

if she runs well you just saved yourself 3-5 bills. if not, you still saved yourself 3-5 bills, you just have bigger issues at hand...
JMHO

bassballer
03-21-2012, 03:36 PM
how old are the plugs?
Turn her on, let her run at idle in the driveway with muffs for a while and come up to temp.
turn off, cool down, replace plugs (& filters if you haven't already.)
Take her for a test spin not too far from the ramp and see how she runs. give her a few nice wide open runs. If you are noticing performance issues at that point, bring her in.

assuming you changed gear oil in winter. if not, change now.
assuming your impeller & tstats are changed last year or this. if not, do it now.

if she runs well you just saved yourself 3-5 bills. if not, you still saved yourself 3-5 bills, you just have bigger issues at hand...
JMHO

This sounds like a plan. Picking up the filters and new plugs this week.