View Full Version : Most used/most catchy paint themes?

Swimmer
03-24-2012, 02:05 PM
What paint job, overall, has worked best for each of you, in regard to the pattern painted that catches the most fish for you with your SWIMMERS?

Such as: mac pattern; blue theme/black, or darker themed mac's; lighter colors maybe like chartreuese?

So say you one so say you all, spill the beans on your swimming plugs.

BigFish
03-24-2012, 02:45 PM
Bunker.....Mack.....Herring.....Yellow o/White!

afterhours
03-24-2012, 04:49 PM
black, yellow/white, gold pogey, white, crac mac.

Slipknot
03-24-2012, 04:54 PM
black over gold over silver or as beachmaster calls it = pollack

Muskyslayer96
03-25-2012, 03:48 AM
Black/gold/orange belly or Orange/black

numbskull
03-25-2012, 06:17 AM
My friend Art, who probably has more experience using surface swimmers by day for bass than anyone else alive (no exaggeration), uses white 95% of the time. He will fish other colors if things are slow, but he will not use a dark backed surface swimmer. His point, which is right on, is that fishing surface swimmers well by day is a visual process. Dark backed plugs are hard to see, hence you can't work them as effectively as light colored plugs.

On the other hand, Danny Pichney said (in the Coleman article) that on bright sunny days he liked to use dark plugs. I have tried this and it works, but again fishing a black plug by day is frustrating because you can't see what it is doing.

As for night and surface swimmers, I use all sorts of colors but do best with solid purple.

All that said, white and purple are boring. Since owning and experimenting with different colors is a huge part of the fun of fishing you can't lose trying any color.

ProfessorM
03-25-2012, 07:47 AM
George and Art are so smart.

I mean it too.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device

JohnnySaxatilis
03-25-2012, 07:50 AM
Last year just off the top of my head: White ghost stick shad, silver and or white w/ red head magic swimmer, grey to white rickski slopehead. AHH mac pattern northbar bottle, I found a non-white one. well it has a white belly so... makes me wanna diversify kinda.....

nightfighter
03-25-2012, 08:02 AM
Bone/white is proven. (don't all fish have a whitish belly?) Yellow or white pencil especially at fist light. Sometimes use a silver on the bellies. I do a number of mack patterns as that is prevalent bait.

chefchris401
03-25-2012, 10:38 AM
Swimming plugs, bone or white pearl or all white.

And blurple and black over metallic green.

Excited to destroy the blurple g2 slim clone I got from backbeach. Swam it the other day with a skippy flag in the back, insane action .
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device

Swimmer
03-26-2012, 12:50 PM
Thanks guys for the answers

taJon
03-27-2012, 09:33 AM
:nopics:

didn't someone once say a picture is worth a thousand words?

piemma
03-28-2012, 05:56 AM
Surprised no one listed. BI needle special color:
Florescent green over white or all florescent green.

Just ask DZ

RIROCKHOUND
03-28-2012, 07:02 AM
Surprised no one listed. BI needle special color:
Florescent green over white or all florescent green.

Just ask DZ

wrong green. :smash:
PIemma's special green over white works better locally for me.... :love:

O.D. Mike
03-28-2012, 07:27 AM
:nopics:

didn't someone once say a picture is worth a thousand words?

Did you buy a new car (your Avatar) or is that a dream car?

blondterror
03-28-2012, 08:08 AM
Parrot Darters at night!

Rockfish9
03-28-2012, 08:42 AM
We.. as plug builders and fisherman IMHO are a bunch of dum -basses... what does nature do best... protect itself!... we go out of our way to mimic and copy what bait fish colors look like ( parrot being an exception).. why do we do this???.. does the white belly of a bait fish not give it some kind of advantage against it's predator??? are mackerel stripes not there for a reason.????I'm sure the creator did not put them there so they would be more visable to those that would want to make a meal of them.. curious aint it.. I'm sure they are not there to make it more visable...maybe we all should be using neon plugs...I dunno.. eels are black on the back and spend most of their time on the bottom.. yet.. when you put them in a white container.. the ones that turn "blond" seem to get more attention.. why????.. are we doing this backwards... should our eel plugs be white.. and our night time plugs white and and our day time plugs black???.. Maybe we are all better served trying to create contrasts to make the plug more visiable rather than look like a real bait fish..... just thought I'd give the thread a poke in the eye...Now I've confused myself...
BTW.. one of my favorite/succsessful patterens( night, I dont[rarely] fish 4 bass during daylight hours) .. Black with gold scale.. white eye shaddow.....glow in the dark eye.

Sgt Striper
03-28-2012, 11:07 AM
Size, profile and action...color is the last on my list when making a plug. I like large slow plugs, easy meal (big momma is not looking for a fast wiggly small fish, she want's that slow flopping big meal)!! Favorite color lately is pearl white, maybe with a little pink or purple on the sides. Case in point: I did a dozen 8" Pikie's for the gang last year, all different colors (photo below of some) Four of them fish together and each had a different color but all caught the same 25-35# fish standing side by side!