View Full Version : Year 2 lessons to learn

Hookset
03-28-2012, 05:54 AM
Well, year 2 of my plugbuilding is under my belt and I have many lessons left to learn:

1) sharp tools: I tried to sharpen my tools but one was getting dull and I was too lazy to sharpen again. caught the wood and gave myself a nice wound... Self - dont get lazy, sharpen your tools

2) If I am in a hurry with limited time, don't get started because holes don't line up, measurements are wrong, missing steps... lots of firewood

3) Although that eTex looks dry, man don't let them things touch each other for 24 hours because they stick to each other like crazy glue (but a torch works wonders to smooth it out!)

4) When the hanger gets glued into the hole of the tailweight by the eTex, you may not be able to get it out and chances are you will draw blood while trying. Haven't figured this one out yet

5) put the split ring, swivel, and hook together before thredding the through wire (don't laugh I can be slow on the simple stuff)

Now it is time to fish! Here are this year's builds:

numbskull
03-28-2012, 07:14 AM
Productive winter. I like that long green swimmer.

johnny ducketts
03-28-2012, 07:15 AM
#5....i just learned something new, thanks. See, you not the only one. Nice pluggage also
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device

Hookset
03-28-2012, 12:20 PM
The long swimmer you can find instructions in the how to section in a post by RockFish. Great Plug, made some last year but didnt pay enough attention and I made the through hole in the center and these have the lip slot in the center with the through hole on the bottom.

Thanks Johnny, appreciate that...

nightfighter
03-28-2012, 01:07 PM
My suggestion for season three would be to get a vega duplicator with the carbide cutter, or at least try one out. And to build a spinner box to avoid your Etex mishaps.

Hookset
03-28-2012, 01:35 PM
Nightfighter, we are on the same page. Been counting my $ in hopes of getting that duplicator, and i think season # is it. On the 2nd item, my friend gave me a small rotiserie and i plan to take the motor out and build one this summer.

I hope year 3 also lands me at plugfest as another goal. Kids are at that age where I am running to college sporting events that time of year and my swimmer may not be swimming next year.

ProfessorM
03-28-2012, 08:08 PM
great job

Rockfish9
03-29-2012, 06:16 AM
hard learned lessons are the best ones.. it looks like you have learned well!

Muskyslayer96
03-29-2012, 06:34 AM
Hookset,

Great building season there! Love the large slope-head swimmers. As fun as it is frustrating...the learning process isn't it :)

MS

Hookset
03-29-2012, 03:43 PM
Thanks for all the feedback, this is a great hobby!