View Full Version : Big Bass in Boston Harbor

Bonefish
05-19-2003, 01:32 PM
There are some sizeable fish in the Harbor. I was wading the rip yesteryday of the Rocks on Deer Island. It was about 2 hrs after high tide. I caught a 13" striper and then a 44"incher. It was pretty heavy but I didn't have a scale on me. I threw it back because I didn't want to lug that thing two miles to the parking lot. I used the plastic Storm Shad. those things are quickly becoming a staple on my line. Also caught a 28" bass in North river Sat. chunking Herring. Did anyone else have any luck in Boston this weekend?

GregK
05-19-2003, 02:06 PM
I was out but not that far. Stayed near wally beach and Hangman Island. Had the fam with me, it was kind of cool while motoring. Stop at the back river for a quick look around. Nice day to be out though. I plan to go out this week during the early morning tide.

Nice fish 44" :D :D

Van
05-19-2003, 02:33 PM
I'm going out tomorrow !!:D :happy: :happy:

Striper1
05-19-2003, 04:13 PM
cool fish Bonefish
44 inches nice.
What size storm shad was it ?

I would not call this fish big but my first bass of the year was 34 inches the funny part was seeing this fish take a live mack !!:D

The Mack was big maybe 1/2 the size of the bass:smash:
It took the bass three smacks at it to get hooked up:smash:

I was rigging the macks off a float up in the bay.

Van Macks are out there in better numbers now :happy:

I would start looking around 3 and 1/2 on the drop off 70-80ft
maybe just me but I keep a live mack hooked up under the boat when I get macks I think it keeps the school close(maybe in my head:D ) Plus I have got bass many times when fishing for macks.
I need a bigger livewell on my boat or a bigger boat:laughs:
good luck to the Boston crew this year:cool:

Frank C
AKA Striper1
vhf 68-69

Van
05-19-2003, 04:35 PM
S1:

I pulled some macks the other day and did not see one follower.
This warm weather should help out.
My main objective is to fill the frezzer with bait, if we kick @$$ and fill up early, I will try for a stiped one.

Also your boat is PERFECT !!!
I have kept over a dozen macks alive all day in the bait well.

See you on the water soon.........channel 69...

You must be in the marina then....Same spot ???

RockLobsta
05-19-2003, 04:36 PM
Van

What time are you going out? I am also going out, in the afternoon. I'll shout out for ya.....

ridler72
05-19-2003, 04:55 PM
I usually come in with a cart, its easier to take out some big lunker. I probally will see you out there. I wade the rip too and it is a very big producer. be safe...

Striper1
05-19-2003, 06:52 PM
Van.
same spot for the boat.

1 1/2 hour=55 Macks:D
Got bait ???

Van
05-19-2003, 07:00 PM
RL,
I'll be out all day.
Hail Karavi on 69.
Radio will be on most of the time, if its
not chatty. Then I turn it off til needed.

S1,
55 macks....NICE..
I got 40 last week, plus some nice steaker codfish. just ate some tonight YUMMY..spring cod taste the best.
I'll post my results tomorrow night or wednesday....
Should be a stellar day at sea.
Warm and light winds !!!:happy: FINALLY

Team Rock On
05-19-2003, 07:15 PM
Went out yesterday and today. Macks were busting bait on the surface Sunday night before sunset. Macks are now in real thick. Had trouble today getting the cod jig past them. Today had some 15LB cod, at some times wasn't able to get the jig to the bottom because they were so thick. What Striper said and in a bit closer in 50'. Lots of weeds in the water, but the fish are underneath. I wonder what those big red marks were?

Yuletide
05-19-2003, 07:39 PM
Hey Bonefish....

Were you at Damiens? Catch it on the outgoing?

Did you try the shad on the river?

I got an itch to get out there!!!!!:happy: :happy: :happy:

Van
05-19-2003, 08:36 PM
Originally posted by Team Rock On
I wonder what those big red marks were?

:D ;)

Mr. Kav
05-20-2003, 06:34 AM
Just as i leave for vacation i hear people catching 44 inch fish and the mackeral are thing in the harbor. i hope the mackeral are even thicker when i come back. i will be doing allot of fishing in bermuda for the next week so i will be all practiced up ready and for the stripers when i come back.

Save some fish for me.
good luck

Bonefish
05-20-2003, 11:47 AM
What is Damiens? Is that the bridge? I did catch both of them on the outgoing tide at both locations. I tried the Shads in the North River but had no luck. The only thing I caught in the River was on a herring chunk. All I fished with in the Harbor was a plastic Shad. I did try a bomber lure with a teaser but had no hits.

Van
05-20-2003, 07:17 PM
Have fun Dave !!!!!!!!!! Iam jealous !!.:eek:

Went out today, but got a late start. We hit macks real good for
about 3 hours then they practically vanished. We did fair but not great....and I got a bit of a sunburn, i think my sunscreen has expired. Is that possible?
Anyway......
Ended up with about 60 of em' all LARGE......
did not see any striped ones cashing them, but we didn't really try to use them as bait.
Man I'm really tired......

wjm
05-21-2003, 05:01 AM
Tried the north river yesterday. 10 little guys up to 26". They do seem to like those storm shads.