View Full Version : Now this is scary...

spence
04-02-2012, 08:15 PM
Arizona law would censor the Internet - Technolog on msnbc.com (http://www.technolog.msnbc.msn.com/technology/technolog/arizona-law-would-censor-internet-631407)

-spence

Fly Rod
04-02-2012, 08:20 PM
Federal government has been doing it for a long time.

spence
04-02-2012, 08:39 PM
Federal government has been doing it for a long time.

How?

-spence

buckman
04-03-2012, 07:25 AM
I built a kitchen for Tim Berners-Lee. The true inventor of the internet. He heads the consortium that oversees the internet. I was told the consortium has full controll over the internet and if censorship became an issue, they could shut down the Feds. Don't know if it's true but I would think he would know.

likwid
04-03-2012, 08:12 AM
I built a kitchen for Tim Berners-Lee. The true inventor of the internet. He heads the consortium that oversees the internet. I was told the consortium has full controll over the internet and if censorship became an issue, they could shut down the Feds. Don't know if it's true but I would think he would know.

The consortium controls internet standards. They can't shut down crap.

I'd be more worried about Anonymous going completely ape and bringing down backbones.

Fly Rod
04-03-2012, 08:43 AM
just because U click the delete button nothing goes poof...feds prowl the internet.... in todays world U R being tracked on your cell phone GPS if left on.... the device on your windsheild also tracks U.... free one year subcription to on star that is supposedly free... once U do not re-new they R tracking U... sell info of where U stop to buy...

Big Brother is watching U

The Dad Fisherman
04-03-2012, 08:43 AM
I built a kitchen for Tim Berners-Lee. The true inventor of the internet.

Not to diminish his accomplishments....but he didn't invent the internet. He invented the World Wide Web and the use of HTTP to share information over the internet.

The consortium controls internet standards.

They just control World Wide Web Standards...not internet standards

buckman
04-03-2012, 08:44 AM
The consortium controls internet standards. They can't shut down crap.

I'd be more worried about Anonymous going completely ape and bringing down backbones.

One of W3C's main missions is to make sure the WWW is available to all people. They are a very powerful group.

JohnR
04-03-2012, 09:06 AM
I am not adverse to some censorship of the Internet in certain areas addressed in that article regarding CHILDREN:

Arizona House Bill 2549, which is now on Gov. Jan Brewer's desk for signature, was created to counter bullying and stalking. The law would make it a crime to use any electronic or digital device to communicate using "obscene, lewd or profane language" or to suggest a lewd or lascivious act, if done with the intent to "terrify, intimidate, threaten, harass, annoy or offend."

One of W3C's main missions is to make sure the WWW is available to all people. They are a very powerful group.

They are a very powerful group - in a permissive environment, and not uneasy to digitally take down or simply circumvent by any of several means.

They develop standards that are generally followed. That doesn't stop others from ignoring those standards.

The Dad Fisherman
04-03-2012, 09:15 AM
I am not adverse to some censorship of the Internet in certain areas addressed in that article regarding CHILDREN:

Its not even censorship they are asking for there. you can still post all that stuff.....but now there will be ramifications for doing so.

JohnR
04-03-2012, 09:33 AM
Its not even censorship they are asking for there. you can still post all that stuff.....but now there will be ramifications for doing so.

Hair Be Split, Arrrggghhhh ;)

buckman
04-03-2012, 09:38 AM
Not to diminish his accomplishments....but he didn't invent the internet. He invented the World Wide Web and the use of HTTP to share information over the internet

You are correct.
My conversations with Tim revolved around internet tax issues and the reason there will not be a Federal tax on commerce.

zimmy
04-03-2012, 10:00 AM
It would certainly make this forum illegal in Arizona :)

likwid
04-03-2012, 12:02 PM

The social value of the Web is that it enables human communication, commerce, and opportunities to share knowledge. One of W3C's primary goals is to make these benefits available to all people, whatever their hardware, software, network infrastructure, native language, culture, geographical location, or physical or mental ability.

Yeah lotta good they've done in some countries. :rotf2:

justplugit
04-03-2012, 12:07 PM
Not to diminish his accomplishments....but he didn't invent the internet.

Everbody knows Al Gore invented the internet. :hihi: