View Full Version : Need recommendations for Cape vacation

Jim in CT
04-11-2012, 09:52 AM
I have never vacationed on Cape Cod. Looking to rent a house from June 16 - June 23. Looking for a 4+bedroom, direct beachfront or VERY short walk. Want very easy access to a beach that's good for kids (ages 5, 3, 1). I'd like a town that has at least a few decent, casual restaurants.

Any info or recommendations woud be appreciated.

What towns will be a good fit?
Ocean or bayside?
Any real estate agencies or websites you guys recommend to fibnd a house?

Thanks!

bart
04-11-2012, 10:01 AM
Chatham. The fishing is a shell of what it used to be, but that doesn't seem to be a priority for you. You won't be able to get a house directly on the water, but walking to the beach is no problem. My favorite place in the world...

bart
04-11-2012, 10:18 AM
the south facing beaches would have warmer water, but Chatham is just so beautiful, I would take it over the south cape beaches in a heart beat. And you have great restaurants/bars/shopping all within walking distance if you get the right place. Good luck...

JeffH
04-11-2012, 10:25 AM
With kids that age you want to be on the south facing beaches. We spent years in Harwichport from the time when our kids were 2-3 years old on up to their teenage years at which time they want the outer beach waves. Harwichport is close to Chatham for shopping, Cape Cod Baseball League games and nice calm beaches (although in June the wind will blow SW)

Try here Commonwealth Associates (http://www.commonwealthrealestate.com/) and ask for Neal or Patty they will help you find a place.

numbskull
04-11-2012, 10:40 AM
You might consider Falmouth. It is not as romantic or wild as the outer cape but it is a decent spot for kids. The water will be cold in June, even in Buzzards Bay. If your kids want to swim and play, you are looking for an estuary next to the beach. Woodneck Beach in Falmouth is such a place. The water heats during the day and is very warm coming out of the saltmarsh. Every little kid in town wades around in the outflow with a net catching crabs and minnows. The ice cream truck shows up as well. You can sneak away for a few hours at dawn and plug the rocks, decent fish will be moving through then. At night you can fish the outflow itself. The beach in front of Woodneck is shallow and has waves to play in. Old Silver in N falmouth is another good kids beach. There is an aquarium in Woods Hole, and a fish hatchery in Sandwich that are good day trips. Plenty of play grounds (Goodwill park has a swimming and trout pond in it as well) Good bike path nearby. Plenty of family friendly restaurants and ice cream shops.

Jim in CT
04-11-2012, 10:46 AM
Thanks. Not too concerned about fishing, although I will fish, it's more aboutthe kids having a blast.

I keep hearing how great the bay beaches are for little kids, First Encounter Beach is one that I keep hearing about. Is the water too cold in late June?

2na
04-11-2012, 10:58 AM
at that time of year most of the bay beaches will have warmer water on the pushing tide than on the ebb - the water warms as it goes over the sun heated sand. Corn Hill Beach in Truro is exceptional for little kids - shallow, sandy, the Pamet River mouth a few hundred yards down the beach.

Day's Cottages in Truro are right on the water, but just 2 bedroom cottages - maybe string two together?

And lastly, like I said in my post on Spence's thread (in the scuppers), you are late in reserving time -

Jackbass
04-11-2012, 11:20 AM
Thanks. Not too concerned about fishing, although I will fish, it's more aboutthe kids having a blast.

I keep hearing how great the bay beaches are for little kids, First Encounter Beach is one that I keep hearing about. Is the water too cold in late June?

First Encounter is in Eastham a mile from my in laws it is a great place for kids. At low tide you can walk out for ever and find shells crabs etc etc. Eastham is a great place the national seashore head quarters are there and they offer all kinds of tours and educational experiences for the kids. Plus it will be less money than Chatham. That time of year is still technically pre season you may have good luck getting a nice deal. Check Craigslist. If I wind up getting down (in law dependent) there i will have the sand pass for the sea shore. I will PM you and get you into fish.

There are also some nice family friendly places in town for food. Arnolds, red barn, fairway, etc. also less than ten miles up the road is Marconi Fried chicken to go which is the bomb.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device

Moses
04-11-2012, 11:23 AM
Even though the water is warmer on the sound side, I prefer bay all the way. Beaches from Mayflower to Skaket are great for family & kids. Sandy beaches, never see any sea weed (sound side can suck) and with the flats, low tide exploring with kids is fantastic.

JeffH
04-11-2012, 11:37 AM
First Encounter is definitely a fun place for young kids. There will always be a bay side vs sound side debate I prefer sound side others in my family prefer bay side.

Some other stuff to do:

Brewster General Store - Ice Cream and penny (sort of) candy
Chatham Fish Pier - 2-3pm fishing boat off load at the dock and you can watch from above as they unload dogfish and cod while the seals swim around the boat.
Chatham Lighthouse - Great overlook.
Sundae School Ice Cream, Dennis, MA - Classic Ice Cream

and on and on...........

Matt D
04-11-2012, 12:22 PM
Once you figure out what town you want, try vrbo.com (vacation rentals by owner). Might save a buck or two.

The Iceman 6
04-11-2012, 12:28 PM
Big fan of Truro.

jlnel
04-11-2012, 12:33 PM
[QUOTE=2na;932684]
Day's Cottages in Truro are right on the water, but just 2 bedroom cottages - maybe string two together?
QUOTE]

those are awesome, been there a few times, but book early, usualy the season before

jlnel
04-11-2012, 12:38 PM
Cape Cod Summer fun golf tennis mall restaurant seafood mini golf map beach golf (http://www.waterfrontrentalsinc.com/listinggi.htm)

its a start

vineyardblues
04-11-2012, 05:36 PM
With kids that age you want to be on the south facing beaches. We spent years in Harwichport from the time when our kids were 2-3 years old on up to their teenage years at which time they want the outer beach waves. Harwichport is close to Chatham for shopping, Cape Cod Baseball League games and nice calm beaches (although in June the wind will blow SW)

Try here Commonwealth Associates (http://www.commonwealthrealestate.com/) and ask for Neal or Patty they will help you find a place.

2nd this one , Eric also does rentals
VB

spence
04-11-2012, 05:47 PM
Dude, get a big enough place and we'll crash there the 21st and 22nd :hihi:

-spence

Jim in CT
04-11-2012, 06:03 PM
Thanks. So, in reading the responses, I want something between Falmouth and Truro, either on the Bay side, or south facing, or east facing.

That certainly narrows it down!

Seriously, thanks. My 2 oldest (ages 5 and 3) would go berserk watching the fishing boats unload catches at Chatham Fish Pier, that's exactly the type of recommendation I need.

capecodder
04-12-2012, 07:39 AM
Definately go to the CC Bay side. Dennis, through Truro, get as close to beach as you can. Water is warmer, calmer, clearer. Sandy bottom. Sand bars. Great for kids.

Jim in CT
04-12-2012, 07:48 AM
My wife found a great house in Eastham, direct waterfront, on Kingsbury Beach. Never heard of it. Anyone know it? Good for little kids?

Rappin Mikey
04-12-2012, 07:58 AM
Bring bug spray. The no see-ums usually pick up in the evenings when there unlaoding their catch.

Back Beach
04-12-2012, 08:39 AM
You might consider Falmouth. It is not as romantic or wild as the outer cape but it is a decent spot for kids. The water will be cold in June, even in Buzzards Bay. If your kids want to swim and play, you are looking for an estuary next to the beach. Woodneck Beach in Falmouth is such a place. The water heats during the day and is very warm coming out of the saltmarsh. Every little kid in town wades around in the outflow with a net catching crabs and minnows. The ice cream truck shows up as well. You can sneak away for a few hours at dawn and plug the rocks, decent fish will be moving through then. At night you can fish the outflow itself. The beach in front of Woodneck is shallow and has waves to play in. Old Silver in N falmouth is another good kids beach. There is an aquarium in Woods Hole, and a fish hatchery in Sandwich that are good day trips. Plenty of play grounds (Goodwill park has a swimming and trout pond in it as well) Good bike path nearby. Plenty of family friendly restaurants and ice cream shops.

Good recommendations.

I'd be cautious, however, about venturing out after dark near the shoreline alone, particulary in the N. Falmouth area. Word has it a bespectacled creature resembling an aging troll frequents this locale. If you encounter him I'd recommend holding two dead, stiff eels in the from of a crucufix to ward him off. If this doesn't work I'd tell him you're the ghost of Danny...

piemma
04-12-2012, 09:32 AM
Good recommendations.

I'd be cautious, however, about venturing out after dark near the shoreline alone, particulary in the N. Falmouth area. Word has it a bespectacled creature resembling an aging troll frequents this locale. If you encounter him I'd recommend holding two dead, stiff eels in the from of a crucufix to ward him off. If this doesn't work I'd tell him you're the ghost of Danny...

Wow. A Back Beach post!!! I thought you had moved to Rancho Mirage and taken up sand surfing.:rotf2:

vineyardblues
04-12-2012, 09:46 AM
My wife found a great house in Eastham, direct waterfront, on Kingsbury Beach. Never heard of it. Anyone know it? Good for little kids?

Yup, bay side , last house on right ?
tide go's way way out ,

capecodder
04-12-2012, 12:52 PM
Kingsbury is a great location. Tide goes way out leaving huge sandbars. Great for little kids. Walk south on the bars and you will find a creek that goes back into the marsh. Kids love it, mud, crabs, etc. Can Kayak back there.

At high tide you will have shallow, warm water over a sandy floor.

Eastham is relatively quiet compared to Chatham, Orleans, Dennis, yet you are close enough to all those areas.

Swimmer
04-12-2012, 02:29 PM

Ya, when you go down to the beach make sure you stay to the right. The lady who owns the beachfront house to the left of the right of way calls the cops and has you arrested for tresspassing. She demands that no one go on her property which by law extends 1400 and some odd feet out from the beach.

lamigsb1
04-12-2012, 03:16 PM
the north side of Dennis sounds perfect for kids your age. miles of shallow sand flats for the most part, but the water will still be much cooler than the south side that time of the season.

Jackbass
04-12-2012, 03:55 PM
Kingsbury is on the bay same stretch of sand as first encounter. You will have a great time.

jlnel
04-12-2012, 04:41 PM
Water can go a ways out at low tide in the area

jlnel
04-12-2012, 04:46 PM
Everything is close by, n matter where, just plan for traffic, 28 is more of a pain, you can go from yarmouth to chatham in under a half hour now, maybe an hour in summer, stay away from hyaniss-mall area, from 28in yarmouth to cape cod mall sucks in summer, especially if raining

Bronko
04-12-2012, 10:53 PM
That time of year Kingsbury and the beaches nearby can be great throwing chunks or squid on the last couple hours of the incoming. And this is coming from a guy that doesn't fish bait much.

Jim in CT
04-13-2012, 07:20 AM
That time of year Kingsbury and the beaches nearby can be great throwing chunks or squid on the last couple hours of the incoming. And this is coming from a guy that doesn't fish bait much.

Thanks. At some point, of course, I was going to ask about fishing. Because while the kids will be the focal point of the trip, of course I will bring a rod or two with me. Even if I just toss out a chunk at night and run the line up the beach, through the window, and tie it to my toe in bed.

Can anyone recommend any good charter captains in the area? not looking for a 6-pack boat, I'd prefer a smaller center console. Something I can take the 5 year-old on to maybe catch some scup, and maybe troll a little tube-n-worm.

OLD GOAT
04-13-2012, 09:57 AM
Jim PM me about chatham near kiddie beach Oyster pond,kiddie park across street,night baseball, fish pier up the road, walk to downtown the road.everything close by.

Might be to early for lifeguards

massbassman
04-13-2012, 03:39 PM
Eastham is great and First Encounter Beach is an excellent choice for small kids. we brought our 2 year old twins there a few years back and when the tide goes out it leaves small tidal pools that are perfect for them to play in, within an arms reach, and the shells and crabs are endless! alot of decent restaraunts nearby too.

Squid kids Dad
04-13-2012, 10:34 PM
I love Eastham bay side..At low tide you can walk out for close to a mile thru the tidal pools..Can see crabs ,minnows ect..And the little ones can splash in the water..If you catch the tides right as the water rolls over the sandbars it warms up the water..If you go there enjoy..First Encounter beach has some historicle signifincance,,Its where the Pilgrims 1st encountered the locals..There is a small monument on the hill..

bobber
04-13-2012, 10:46 PM
I'm gonna put a word in for Brewster. theres nice amenities there at that time of year, and the crowds aren't overwhelming. My kids have grown up on the beach there everysummer for the last 12 yrs.... AND you can even fish there if you can "crack the code" of whne/where to go. (disclaimer.....a word of caution- the Brewster lats are considered dangerous when weather/fog rolls in......be careful if unfamiliar with the area)

capecodder
04-14-2012, 03:43 PM
If you wish to fish CC Bay, give Cap Bobby Rice in Truro a call. The bay will be loaded with bass at that time. If you want scup, you need to fish the south side of the Cape.