View Full Version : Taxes done?

Saltheart
04-16-2012, 10:15 PM
Got my taxes done today. Got killed by the Fed tax , State tax as anticipated (too much but of course just a fraction of the Fed tax.

Anybody still bringing it down to the nail biting time hoping to get a postmark before midnight tomorrow? :) I've "been there , done that" many a time in my life. I think its called "Life on the Edge"!

Slipknot
04-17-2012, 09:15 AM
First year in a long time I had them done very early. I had to since my daughter is graduating high school and going to college next year we had to get the financial aid paperwork done.

I always dread tax time, it seems so stressful.

fishbones
04-17-2012, 09:39 AM
I got mine done about a month ago. Getting much less than I should have because my wife earned about twice as much as she did last year as a consultant and never changed her filing status (even though I told her too several times). I found out last week that I'll be getting back money that I paid into RI for temporary disability from 2008 through 2011, so that's good. Probably about $800 per year for 4 years, but I won't see any of it until probably at least June.

PaulS
04-17-2012, 09:51 AM
I converted an IRA to a Roth IRA. Owed big $ and have to make quarterly taxes payments of big $. I'm miserable.

striperman36
04-17-2012, 10:33 AM
That ro disability is windfall. Some person in my house has plans for it.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device

FishermanTim
04-17-2012, 10:48 AM
Just mailed mine this morning.
I knew I owed, so a wait to the last day so that it takes them awhile to get to actually cashing my check.

I used to (20+ years back) figure if I owed and then fill out the return up to the point where it says "stop here if you want us to figure your taxes for you".
Since I already knew I owed, I did just that, signed the return and included any W2's before mailing it off.

I would get a bill from the IRS about a month later telling me how much I owed (which I knew already) and telling me I had 30 days to pay it.
I would send my payment during that last week of the billing period.
(I NEVER was late due to the fines that WILL be imposed.)

In the end I ended up paying my taxes in lat MAY to early JUNE with no interest or penalties.

Of course this only really works with simple returns.

Just making the system work for me for a change.

Now I just do the paperwork and mail on the last day or so.