View Full Version : Striper Fishing 101 for Rookies

BassNewbie
04-17-2012, 09:25 AM
I'm a fly fishing guide on Utah's Provo River, but this is my first time visiting the East coast. I want to do some striper fishing while I'm here. Any good places close to Brockton? Are there any good opportunities from shore this time of year? Anyone wanna get together and show me the ropes? Any tips would be great! Thanks!

bucko
04-17-2012, 09:41 AM
Try checking in with the Bear's Den Fly shop in Taunton Ma. It is a bit early but some guy's are into fish (not me).

Enjoy your stay.

FishermanTim
04-17-2012, 10:39 AM
Will you be fly fishing or surf casting?
The smaller fish will be here (if not already) and the larger ones will be here soon enough, so here is ALWAYS the possibility of getting a stiper.

It's mostly a matter of when and where you go.

Good luck!

Moses
04-17-2012, 11:54 AM
Agree with Tim, when exactly are you looking to go? Now in a couple/few weeks, later this summer?

numbskull
04-17-2012, 12:27 PM
How long you here for?

PRBuzz
04-17-2012, 01:03 PM
Why near Brockton? Notice my signature file.

I brought a fly guy from Oregon out last year for stripers and blues....he seemed to like it!

BassNewbie
04-17-2012, 06:53 PM
Why near Brockton? Notice my signature file.

I brought a fly guy from Oregon out last year for stripers and blues....he seemed to like it!

Thanks everyone for the replies! I'm staying in Brockton and I have limited access to a vehicle. I arrived here two days ago, and I will be here for another week. I will be fly fishing, and I have no salt water experience. @PRBuzz, are you planning on fishing this week at all? Could I tag along?

MarshCappa
04-17-2012, 09:28 PM
Something smells fishy. Maybe I'm paranoid but be careful Phil.

niko
04-17-2012, 10:12 PM
you are paranoid cappa - just an out of town guy looking to catch a few fish. i've done it a half dozen times in other parts of the country

MarshCappa
04-18-2012, 06:26 AM
Sorry, I guess I watch the news everyday and just get worried about how many bad people are out there. Bassnewbie no offense as obviously I don't know you. I'll go back to my bunker...............:smash:

Sea Dangles
04-18-2012, 06:31 AM
If I go out again this week I will pm you. Plenty of fish but they are the size of my foot. You can always try to flyfish for tog......

BassNewbie
04-18-2012, 10:54 AM
Sorry, I guess I watch the news everyday and just get worried about how many bad people are out there. Bassnewbie no offense as obviously I don't know you. I'll go back to my bunker...............:smash:

Hey Cappa, I updated my profile info so you can see a little more about me. Also you can google Gil Fly Fishing, and Fly Tying 123 to see two of my websites on trout stuff. I just jump on here asking a ton of questions without any friends on here to vouch for me, so I understand.

BassNewbie
04-18-2012, 10:56 AM
you are paranoid cappa - just an out of town guy looking to catch a few fish. i've done it a half dozen times in other parts of the country

If you're ever in Utah and want to do some trout fishing, or tiger muskie fishing, look me up! That goes for everyone. Its always fun to fish with new people, I think that's why I enjoy guiding.

BassNewbie
04-18-2012, 10:57 AM
If I go out again this week I will pm you. Plenty of fish but they are the size of my foot. You can always try to flyfish for tog......

What are tog?

PRBuzz
04-18-2012, 11:52 AM
BassNewbie will get to experience Buzz Bay tomorrow! Wish him luck, maybe we'll even find a tog.....

All you fly guys should try to network with Gil while he's in the area this week! He has a great website.:uhuh:

jasonsnova
04-18-2012, 12:57 PM
pretty cool of you guys to hook him up!

MarshCappa
04-18-2012, 01:22 PM
Don't I feel like an Ass now!!! :smash: Have fun while you're out here! Lot of good guys on this site and as you can see by my stupid post, we try to look out for one another!

MarshCappa
04-18-2012, 01:49 PM
Here's the site. I cracked up reading your John Voight encounter in the Utah Fly Fishing blog. Have fun while you're out here. You're hooking up with the right guy. Well hopefully "hooking up"!! :fishin:

I've never fished UT but have ski'd Park City, the Canyons, Snowbird, and Alta. Beautiful country out there.

Gil Fly Fishing (http://gilflyfishing.com/)

BassNewbie
04-19-2012, 08:39 PM
I just want to send out a quick thanks for all the info, and especially to Phil for taking me along today showing me the ropes of the East coast. Phil is the MAN! You are all very lucky to live here especially with the fishery you have. Tight lines and I'll hopefully be back soon!

Piscator
04-19-2012, 08:43 PM
Nice work Phil!

JohnnySaxatilis
04-20-2012, 05:34 AM
Well howd it go? Phil put you on some fish?:nopics:

PRBuzz
04-20-2012, 05:38 AM
BassNewbie will have to post pictures, he had his camera out all day (HINT: Gil all those pictures of the cute, little, furry seals you took...might be wise to NOT post them here, show them to your wife, kids, family, and friends in Utah.:rotf2:) Found some birds working early. Showed him our saltwater bait (macs) is bigger than most of his Utah freshwater stream trout! Finder screen was lit up all day, but only had one hit on a live/trolled mac. Wouldn't take anything else we threw at them.