View Full Version : Laptop not starting ... power trouble

Finaddict
04-20-2012, 08:22 PM
So last night after I got home from work, I tried to turn on my laptop, the light came on for less than a second and then it turned off ... more of a flash ...

... I realized that the power cord had fallen out ...

... I plugged the power cord back in last night and tried to get it to charge ... removed the battery while the laptop was still plugged in, but it still would not turn on ... left it plugged in all day ...

... getting home from work, still the same thing, the light comes on for less than a second and then turns off ... either the battery is not charging, or the system is not taking power ...

... any thoughts out there on steps ... getting rid of it or buying a new at this moment in time is not the choice ... would rather try to get it to work for a few months at least ...

Thanks for your help.

Andy

Matt D
04-20-2012, 09:46 PM
Brand and model? I might have a battery and a/c adapter I could send you to either confirm or eliminate those as the problem. Could also be the jack on the laptop that the charger plugs into. Fairly common for that to get a broken solder joint. There's a place on EBay that repairs them for around $35. Sent my daughter's Thinkpad to them a couple of years ago and they fixed me right up.

Redsoxticket
04-20-2012, 10:31 PM
Clean the battery contacts
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device

PRBuzz
04-21-2012, 06:28 AM
I would suspect the A/C charger unit, I had one go bad and can be picked up for cheap money on Amazon/eBay. Most laptops will run on a dead battery (or one that won't hold a charge) if the A/C charger is still working. Might also explain why the battery won't charge up.

Finaddict
04-21-2012, 07:53 AM
It's an HP Pavilion dv68.1 - I have had it for about four years ... so wouldn't be surprised that the stuff you guys mentioned would go wrong ... I will have to look into that ...as it's not running even when plugged in with the power cord ...thanks

kvn4
04-28-2012, 08:08 PM
its the a/c adapter plug in laptop where the charger plugs into as i had same problem to a dv7,