View Full Version : Not your typical shore catch in NE

zimmy
04-24-2012, 07:31 PM
because it was NC :love: If you haven't made the trip, April in Buxton is pretty much heaven. And they could use the patronage. Sand tiger isn't mine, but I was lucky enough to hands free release one pretty much the same size a few minutes earlier when it thrashed in the wash. A bunch of them around chasing small blues right into the wash. They all were well into the 7+ feet and hundreds of pounds range. The drum was 48" and had to be released because of the seemingly very effective slot limit. Plenty of drum around into the 50's ( range while the winds blew from the south. Huge cow nose and bat rays around too.

Rob Rockcrawler
04-24-2012, 07:34 PM
Wow, that looks like an awesome trip. That has got to be a riot. This year is out for me but next year sounds like a plan. What time in april is usually the best bet?

zimmy
04-24-2012, 08:06 PM
Any time in April can be good. If the winds come from the south the water will be in the 60's or 70's. When they go hard N or NE for a couple days, the water cools down and the drum move out. A tide or two w/ sw winds will bring temps up and the drum back in. It totally depends on the wind at this time of year. While we were there, the water went from almost 70 deg to upper 50's in less than 12 hours. All depends on where the gulf stream is blown. At this time of year, the vast majority of drum are caught on cape point itself.

The birds usually make it a walk to the point by the second week of April or so. This year, it was about 1/2 mile walk. Depending on where the plover lands or where the mood strikes the rangers, the closure location and resulting walk will vary. First week of April the point is usually open to trucks, but the later weeks give a better chance of warm water.

JohnR
04-25-2012, 06:33 AM
That looks very cool!

chefchris401
04-25-2012, 08:02 AM
Awesome trip, great pics too, thanks for sharing
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device

niko
04-25-2012, 08:25 AM
Nice catch, looks like a good trip

MarshCappa
04-25-2012, 09:03 AM
Very very nice!!!

Swimmer
04-25-2012, 09:25 AM
Jealous person sitting here reading post. Thats awesome though. So what are the slot limit regs. on drum?

Rockport24
04-25-2012, 09:34 AM
Sounds like an awesome time. I've always wanted to catch a drum...

The Dad Fisherman
04-25-2012, 09:47 AM
Drum???? I want that friggin Shark....that looks like a friggin blast

zimmy
04-25-2012, 09:59 AM
So what are the slot limit regs. on drum?

18"-27". They were in bad shape in the 1990's. They put in the slot to protect the breeders The data indicates that they have recovered nicely since the regs went into effect about a decade ago. Value of ASMFC data is obviously questionable, but there are consistently good numbers of big drum caught... and released.

Chunkah
04-25-2012, 10:27 AM
Buxton Beach Motel has good rates and puts you right near where you want to be. It's all water temp with these fish....they have eluded me on multiple trips.