View Full Version : Lot of water and a little whale watching

redlite
05-21-2003, 01:59 PM
This might belong in the report section but.........
My buddy and I hit the Cape hard this weekend and the following os a SYNOPSIS:
Friday night hit the South Cape area. Thirty + knot wind in face with a lot of weed. Spent more time driving down and back than fishing. No fish.

Saturday back to South Cape Area. Water was still pretty weedy. My favorite little lot at this time of the year was overpacked, so headed to the other side to another jam packed lot. Fished sunset till about 9:30. A lot of blues in the 6 - 8lb range with two stripers in the high 20", but they were real, real fat. Took them all on Black backed/ yellow belly Creek Chub. The stripers came well after dark on the same pooper.
Next stop was Chatham Light. No one else fishing for a good reason. Wind was howling in and man was it cold. Fished all the way down and around the corner and a little on the inside. No takers either place. When the sun came up, became apparent why not. The channel has now split waith a large sand island in the middle with the main flow of water on the far side. Birds were working the far channel pretty hard. Fly fisherman heading onto bay side said they had taken fish the previous morning. The highlight was to my buddy's amusement, I managed to bag myself a cormarant. Man, they are not very pretty birds. Dang near put a hole in my waders while I was un tangling it. Had to throw it back as I already had my one "keeper" for the day. Sunday and Monday to come in Part II...........

fishsmith
05-21-2003, 02:58 PM
Good going Mike, as long as you bleed those comarants right away, the meat tastes just like chicken.